Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1976 Ski Nautique - What Distributor to buy?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
sberard5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sberard5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1976 Ski Nautique - What Distributor to buy?
    Posted: May-31-2016 at 6:24pm
Well , some bad news. Was cruising in my 1976 Ski Nautique over the weekend and the engine just quit. When I opened the hatch, I noticed that some of the spark plug wires were a little tight, and looked at my match mark on the distributor/intake was way off. Checked the 1/2" hold down bolt to see if it had loosened and it hadn't. Removed distributor to find the shaft had frozen up causing it to not spin. Also noticed the gear had 2 broken teeth on it. The good news is the camshaft gear looks perfect. I'm going to drop the oil pan to try and find the 2 missing teeth.

I'm trying to find a new distributor but am having horrible luck. It is a 1976 PCM Pleasure Craft Marine 351/w reverse rotation. Not looking for anything crazy, just functional. Not looking to throw down $500. I called Pertronix today to ask if they made a distributor for this application and the guy @ tech support said to but a Pertronix D231800 marine distributor which is standard rotation. The problem is, my engine is reverse rotation and the gear is different than pictured. Can I just change the gear on the new distributor and drop in?

Anybody had any experience with this type of thing? I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Steve
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2016 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by sberard5 sberard5 wrote:

Can I just change the gear on the new distributor and drop in?
Steve

Steve,
Yes, all that's needed is a gear change. There's a couple threads on it as well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sberard5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sberard5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2016 at 6:40pm
Do you any experience with Pertronix? I am hesitant to make the purchase because of some of the bad reviews I have seen. Most of the reviews urge not to buy because the insides get rusty/corroded after a year or so. Any recommendations?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2016 at 7:35pm
Hi Steve

check your PM's and call the phone number that's there.

KenO

By the way, Pete is such a big fan of Pertronix stuff, it should be renamed Pete-tronics
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2016 at 7:55pm
Davis Unified Ignition H.E.I. marine distributor. The link below is for a Reverse-Rotation unit for a Ford small-block 351 Windsor. No external coil or ballast resistor required.

Link to HEI Distributor

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2016 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Hi Steve

check your PM's and call the phone number that's there.

KenO

By the way, Pete is such a big fan of Pertronix stuff, it should be renamed Pete-tronics

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sberard5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sberard5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2016 at 8:35pm
Thanks for the response guys!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic