NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

454 Pro Tec Swap to DUI

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 454 Pro Tec Swap to DUI
    Posted: June-01-2016 at 9:59pm
The '91 BFN (Excel) was having mysterious episodes of lack of spark. The Pro Tec coil modules appeared normal and intact (no leaking) and when it ran - it ran well. After it let us down at the rain-splashed Badin Lake Mini, I knew I had to do what us Pro Tec guys know eventually needs to be done - ignition swap.

Having a DUI in the Ski Tique and understanding that the DUI was the simpler swap for a simple guy like me, I ordered one from Performance Distributors, Inc.

Marine DUI from Performance Distributors, Inc

We have reverse rotation Chevy 454s in our Barefoot Excels, so I ordered the Chevy V8 (7000 rpm). I ordered it with the reverse rotation gear (that was wrong!) While our Chevy's rotate reverse, their cams, and therefore distributors, DO NOT rotate reverse. They have standard rotation cams and distributors. Don't do what I did, order a standard rotation DUI..... more on that later.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2016 at 11:35pm
For the swap, I referenced JPass's excellent thread - It has great step-by-step instructions. Check it out -

JPASS ProTec Ignition Swap

This post is intended to highlight the deviations from the 351 DUI Swap to the 454 DUI swap.

1. Pulling the spark plugs to turn the engine over to TDC makes it easier. Hand crank to where you feel the end of the compression stroke (whoosh of air at the spark plug stops). It should approximate the mark on the balancer.

2. Good time to regap the plugs and to ID the wires going to the coil packs. You will NOT need to change the wires because the Pro Tec is mounted on the same (back) half of the engine as the Pro Tec trigger (DUI new location).

3. The DUI location makes needing to use the old harness (like JPASS did) very optional. It actually is more work jumping the wires in his description because the switched 12v for the DUI is right there on the back of the breaker/Pro Tec plate inches from the trigger hole and DUI location.

4. Remove the Pro Tec coil packs from this plate, along with the breakers. That plate needs to be bent towards the bow (toward the tranny) to get out of the way of the new (and MUCH larger) DUI. Bend the plate about 20-30 degrees and reinstall the breakers. Your ignition switched 12V comes off the smaller 12.5 AMP breaker - less than 1 ft run.

5. Tach wire can be run through the harness (like JPASS shows) or taken directly from the Pro Tec module plug wiring - again a short run. It is MUCH easier to wire without the DUI installed due to space limitations (guess how I know).
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2016 at 11:46pm
Your DUI from Performance Distributors will come with the spacers, terminals and great instructions for setting timing. Because I am a newbie with no good tools or experience,   TRBenj, Rico and Uncle Todd helped me set timing the carb fuel/air mixtures and idle while on a hose in the hotel parking lot at the White Lake Mini - big salute fellas!

Ordering direct from Performance Distributors was a great experience. They shipped lightning fast and they helped me on the phone with questions. When I realized I ordered the wrong rotation DUI, I shipped it back, they corrected it and sent it back to me in one day. They didn't charge shipping and they refunded me the difference from the reverse to the standard gear set up. They were terrific order direct from them - STRONG endorsement!

Oops! Pro Tec Trigger on LEFT, DUI on RIGHT. Gears aren't quite the same. #$%$@#**!

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2016 at 11:59pm
Fuse/Pro Tec plate with coil packs removed. It has been BENT to its new angle to allow DUI to fit. Breakers are re-attached. Pro Tec coil pack module plug is seen in the foreground. White surgical towel is protecting the distributor hole awaiting the DUI placement.

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 12:05am
DUI in place... Engine overview.

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 1:10am
Nice job, ,Mr. Big-Block!
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 8:23am
Nice

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 8:32am
Look'n great Steve.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 10:20am
There you go Steve.

How does it run in comparison?
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 3:01pm
It's great... throttle response is better....... but it was running kinda rich, and that has been taken care of too. No intermittent no spark situations since the swap..........

For a guy who knows little about engines, this was a manageable swap. Glad I had CCFan friends to lean on.    
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 3:37pm
Sweet. I noticed better throttle response on the big block I swapped last year and really easy key starts. The dizzy that was in it appeared to be working just fine until it quit.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic