NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat lift cable busted.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat lift cable busted.
    Posted: June-02-2016 at 11:27pm
Hey Guys,
Anyone replace a boat lift cable? I have a Craftlander, and the thing just let go tonight. Hard? Easy? Any tips??
Tom
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 11:44pm
don't know a thing about them but am willing to help if you need me...betcha Eddie will say the same.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2016 at 12:01am
Is it an overhead cable system... I've done that. We can chat.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2016 at 12:12am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

don't know a thing about them but am willing to help if you need me...betcha Eddie will say the same.

john

That's because you two are my boatfriends. Thanks Jbear, I will let you know!
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2016 at 12:15am
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

Is it an overhead cable system... I've done that. We can chat.

No, its one of these:
Craftlander
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2016 at 12:22am
We can still chat - but I'll be useless as usual!   Ha!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2016 at 10:14am
First thing is DO NOT buy the cable on EBay, my neighbor did that and it snapped on the very first lift. Be sure and get a good quality cable from a reputable source. If the end(s) have any special connectors you are probably best off going OEM parts.
Not familiar with that brand lift but have changed out various cables on Shorestation brand vertical lifts and it was all pretty simple, would imagine the same will hold true for yours.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2016 at 10:19am
Tom,
All I can add is check out why the cable snapped. Bound up sheaves? Frayed from rubbing? Did the cable come off any of the sheaves? Overload? Cable corroded?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2016 at 12:17pm
Seems to me that you seem to be "cable challenged " first the steering cable now the lift.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2016 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tom,
All I can add is check out why the cable snapped. Bound up sheaves? Frayed from rubbing? Did the cable come off any of the sheaves? Overload? Cable corroded?

So far from what I could see of the broken cable, it was corroded. I am just at the 2 year mark on the lift, so when the new part comes, (I ordered OEM) I will make sure and check it out. Craftlander was pretty easy to work with, and they got my parts in the mail today. Overall, I am happy with the lift.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2016 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Seems to me that you seem to be "cable challenged " first the steering cable now the lift.

This is the story of my life. If I can put it in backwards, I will. Anything that I have that is supposed to slide in a tight space needs massive amounts of lubrication or it wears out. It is getting really old.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2016 at 1:54pm
"Anything that I have that is supposed to slide in a tight space needs massive amounts of lubrication"

Sounds like a good problem to have!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2016 at 2:15pm
When you say 2 years, did you buy it new?? If so that is a problem, you should easily get 10yrs on a cable, double that if you are Pete :)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2016 at 2:28pm
2 years for scamper is probably equal to 10 years for you. They ski every day, all year...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2016 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

When you say 2 years, did you buy it new?? If so that is a problem, you should easily get 10yrs on a cable, double that if you are Pete :)

It was at least 25 years before a new cable was needed on my lift! I replaced it with a stainless so I should get 50 years out of it!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2016 at 10:27pm
I know you know what your doing but I have been told from several sources not to use stainless,it can't take the bending being wound up on a drum
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2016 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I know you know what your doing but I have been told from several sources not to use stainless,it can't take the bending being wound up on a drum

Your sources don't know their wire rope!! I used 6 × 37—IWRC Core stainless!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2016 at 12:35am
Here is a pic:
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2016 at 10:13pm
Well, it was pretty easy. I jacked it up with a cum-along, and threaded the cable no problems. It simply goes through two pulleys that were spinning just fine. I guess I will inspect them in a couple months to see how they are doing.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 12:01am
Originally posted by seacamper seacamper wrote:

This is the story of my life. If I can put it in backwards, I will. Anything that I have that is supposed to slide in a tight space needs massive amounts of lubrication or it wears out. It is getting really old.

I jacked it up with a cum-along,
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 12:04am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I jacked it up with a cum-along,

Good catch.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 12:10am
You know, I meant the first post about lubrication as a joke, but I actually misspelled come along. I googled it, and came up with cumalong, then spell checker gave me cum-along.   
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 12:16am

Maybe you're using Google.HK or Thailand? I cannot find cum-along anywhere other than at Quinner's house.

Come-along, cable winch hoist, ratcheting winch--anything seems fine as long as there's no cum along with it.

seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

Maybe you're using Google.HK or Thailand? I cannot find cum-along anywhere other than at Quinner's house.

Come-along, cable winch hoist, ratcheting winch--anything seems fine as long as there's no cum along with it.

Here is what popped up when I googled "cumalong" because I did not know how to spell it:

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/power_systems/products/kearney_tools_connectors/power_line_tools/cumalongs.html

Since that popped up, I thought "cumalong" was the correct spelling. When I typed it in, my computer's word check turned it red. When I right clicked it, I got "cum-along" and the computer corrected it.

Now, if you are calling me a fu<king liar, please PM me so we can get together, and have you say it to my face. If we are just having fun, then fine.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 4:15pm
Humor often gets misunderstood. I think the whole thing is hilarious. If I said it to your face--which I would any day--you'd know it was humor because I'd be laughing my butt off and so would you.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

Humor often gets misunderstood. I think the whole thing is hilarious. If I said it to your face--which I would any day--you'd know it was humor because I'd be laughing my butt off and so would you.

Sounds good my friend. I don't know why, but I am pretty touchy about the integrity thing which sounds strange after I post all kinds of goofy stuff on here, but when I screw up, I admit it, and if I am further called on it, it makes it seem like I am back peddling, and I do NOT do that. Anyhoo, I apologize for being an internet tough guy.
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 5:13pm
No worries, Tom. ill be funnier next time I promise.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 5:17pm
Cumalong with the humor
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Cumalong with the humor

1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 8:43pm
^^^^^^LMAO

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic