NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What’s this wire?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What’s this wire?
    Posted: June-16-2006 at 10:59am
What is the wire between the ignition coil and distributor for? It looks like it was wound around a dowel about 20 times. Is that for resistance? Mine is 32 years old and the insulation is burnt through. Can I make my own? How? Is it just wire? If so, how many coils should I use? What happens without it?
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
Atmspltr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atmspltr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2006 at 2:58pm
No, I think the resistor wire was from your ignition switch to the coil.   Is it thick and spongy? It should be power from the coil to the points.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2006 at 6:01pm
There are two wires from the ignition coil to the distributor - one to the cap (thick and spongy) and one to the distributor body (wound like a spring).

What's the resistor wire from my ignition switch to the coil for? I don't think I currently have one.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2006 at 10:26pm
    Dave, you should have a a wire from the + terminal of the coil to one side of a ceramic ballast resistor. The other side of the resistor goes to +12v ign from the ign key. The neg. term. of the coil should be that wound up one that goes the points (stud on the side of the dist.) The wound up wire is regular wire, and is wound like that to act like a inductor to help reduce a induced high voltage from the coil from flashing the points over. I wonder if its really effective though. Yours is a PCM 302 I recall, and should be wired like that unless its something I havent seen, or its been played with.

BTW, how did ya make out with ammeter issue?? Put the 76 in tonight and went for a spin, hope to get yours in soon!!!
Good Luck!!!

Jeff....
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2006 at 10:51pm
I am going skiing in the morning - I made the new wire I will need tonight and will install it in the morning. Now that I understand it, is should work. We'll see.

I made a pretty decent homemade extended pylon. I had an old ring pylon (too short for my M17's dog house), so I cut the ring off, installed it, then put a piece of steel pipe on and attached it by a cable to the bow. We'll see how it works tomorrow.

I've got a ceramic coil. That's good.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic