NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine won't start

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I was going to suggest 180 off too but 1 o,clock is usually where #1 goes on the cap. A previous owner would have had to fudge the distributor.

Is it catching at all?

I would be leery of characterizing post position as something consistent from engine to engine... It can be in as many positions as there are distributor teeth, basically 360deg. If the dizzy has ever been out it's anyone's guess. I would be surprised if PCM always installed them the same (though anything is possible). I sure wouldn't count on it in any case.

180 out will sputter and backfire occasionally- but it will not run (even poorly). If you're 180 out AND use the wrong firing order (18456273 vs 18736245), it will run on 4cyl.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 2:53pm
Reasoning for putting #1 @ 1 is to minimize plug wire length (and a cleaner looking routing). As an engine manufacturer/marinizer I would think this is not a detail overlooked.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

180 out will sputter and backfire occasionally- but it will not run (even poorly).

Very true Tim, Don't ask me how I know. Was in a hurry last month. That was after I had had it running. Frustrating to do that.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Wakerider81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wakerider81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 3:04pm
It has acted like it wants to start, and I had it running at one point, we'll as long as you held key to start and could dump ether/fuel in it, that's when I changed fuel pump then changed carb once new fuel pump was in because carb was leaking
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Reasoning for putting #1 @ 1 is to minimize plug wire length (and a cleaner looking routing). As an engine manufacturer/marinizer I would think this is not a detail overlooked.

There is no position that minimizes plug wire length for all 8 wires simultaneously, you will always have about half the wires going to the far side of the dizzy. Even if there is a position that minimizes overall plug length, pcm isn't going to attempt to cost cut materials to a point where the wires won't all reach with the dizzy in any position. Maybe they were consistently putting post #1 in the same spot but it is more likely tied to mistake proofing the firing order when assembling the engine at the factory. I have not noticed this consistency but it's possible... Still wouldn't count on post #1 having an expected position on a 30+ year old engine in any case. :)
dgpmerc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgpmerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 3:20pm
Having just converted my 1981 Ski Nautique to a DUI electronic distributor yesterday I can sympathize with getting the distributor set correctly to get the initial start. Even though I thought I was being really careful to get it installed in the same position as the old prestolite, I was still off by enough to prevent it from starting right up.

Do you know what brand of EI is installed? If it's a Pertronix or the DUI, you should be running the full 12 volts to the distributor, so the ballast resistor should not be used. I would check that first. Running the reduced voltage to an EI can cause damage to them.

When you attempt to start it does it crank really hard? That could indicate that the timing is too far advanced. Something that helped me quite a bit is getting a timing light on it right from the start and having TDC marked on the balancer really clearly. Even without the engine running the timing light will still flash and give you a reading when cranking. At that point you should be able to get the timing close enough to run (if timing is the issue).

When you say it only tries to run when the key is turned on, are you getting voltage to the coil when the key is in the run position?

Hopefully some of this will help. I'm a long time lurker but couldn't resist trying to help out.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by dgpmerc dgpmerc wrote:

Running the reduced voltage to an EI can cause damage to them.

Opposite I believe.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 4:17pm
^^
dgpmerc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgpmerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 4:33pm
I installed a Pertronix Ignitor years ago and for some reason I remember a warning about running the reduced voltage and the possibility of damaging it.

You are correct that low voltage won't hurt an HEI, but if you try to run 7 or 8 volts to it there is a good chance it won't have enough voltage to work properly. The first thing I would do is determine what distributor is in the boat and figure out what the proper voltage should be. It sounds like the boat sat for 14 years without running so it's hard to determine if it was running well before being put into storage. Once the voltage is correct, then work on getting the timing right.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wakerider81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 5:31pm
When key is run position there is no voltage at coil only during cranking. Not sure on type of ei was done, I'm assuming pertronix. Not sure on distributor type, it is a crew down type cap. The resistor is not bypassed and I'm assuming the boat was running fine before it sat
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 5:43pm
That would be the starter solenoid wired wrong then check and see if the other small stud on the solenoid is hot when the key is on. This is a diagram from a car- should be close
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 5:53pm
If the coil gets power cranking but not running position it's a bad ignition switch. Seen it quite often. You let off the key when you hear it fire and it kills ignition power.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 5:53pm
I think the way it's set up now is to provide a full 12v to the coil to aid in starting.When the key is released it takes the voltage from the resistor and runs the coil at the lower voltage. If you were to run a temp wire from the battery to the coil direct and try to start it,it should then stay running,you could try this to confirm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wakerider81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 6:04pm
My solenoid only had 2 battery cables and one other stud wired labeled S. When I replaced solenoid I wired it same way, in your diagram it shows wire off I going to coil? Do I need to run another wire?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 6:05pm
Good call. Someone could have ran a jumper from the 12v cranking pole on the starter solenoid. Likely the switch is bad either way unless the coil supply wire lost continuity or the ballast resistor gave up the ghost.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 6:06pm
No, that confirms your ignition switch is likely bad.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wakerider81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 6:08pm
It is a new ignition switch. And when I test for continuity it test good
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 6:09pm
I would find the wiring diagram for your year first and check your wiring first. It could be like Zack says but I wonder if the EI was installed and it went downhill since.Someone gave up and it sat? I sure seems these ei conversions cause more trouble than the points ever have
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 6:09pm
So you tested the ignition pole on the back of the switch ?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Wakerider81 Wakerider81 wrote:

When key is run position there is no voltage at coil only during cranking.

Clearly this is a problem.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wakerider81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 6:45pm
How many ohms should ballast resistor be?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Wakerider81 Wakerider81 wrote:

How many ohms should ballast resistor be?

yeah go back and read Zachs last response -- after you check the ignition post on the back of the switch you can start worrying about ballast resister ohms and what nots
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wakerider81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 7:22pm
OK. Tested the ignition switch and it's good, it was wired backwards. Voltage at coil while in run is 4.7, while cranking it drops to 2.4 volts. With switch in run voltage at one side of resistor is 11.2 and 6 on other
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 7:49pm
Chris,
Those voltages are low. What are you getting at the battery?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wakerider81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 7:58pm
Getting 12.5 volts at solenoid
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 8:59pm
Ahh now we're zeroing in on the problem. It wasn't mentioned that the switch was changed.
OP said the wiring was checked and good from dash back.
Hang in there we'll get it figured out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wakerider81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 9:16pm
Correct I only checked for continuity on wires going from dash back to motor originally. Ignition switch is now wired correctly.
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 9:24pm
With it wired correctly does that mean the boat is now starting?
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

If the coil gets power cranking but not running position it's a bad ignition switch. Seen it quite often. You let off the key when you hear it fire and it kills ignition power.

Seen it once on my SS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wakerider81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 10:46pm
Boat still not starting but ignition is wired properly. Still have low voltage at coil tho.only 5 volts with key in run position but drops to 3 during cranking, doesn't make sense to me. I have 12v at solenoid, 12v to resistor and 5v leaving resistor going to coil
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic