Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thermostat Troubles....every year

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thermostat Troubles....every year
    Posted: June-05-2016 at 11:30pm
So every spring I have owned this (97 sport GT 40) boat the thermostat seems to give me problems. I always just replaced it since it was cheap and things worked fine the rest of the year. This spring I thought I would just beat the problem to the punch and put a new one in as a normal part of maintenance. I had a few other issues out the gate this year but running it with the bucket in the yard and at the lake last week the temperature wasn't one of them. Today I all of the sudden have temp problems. So I pull the thermostat and everything cools right down when I run it without the thermostat. Put it back in and things heat up. This was a brand new thermostat.   I am beginning to wonder if I have a different issue don't have a weak raw water pump or something. I did not replace the impeller this year but I did pull it out of the pump last fall and put it in a bag.   Is there any reason why water would have trouble going through the thermostat? I'm going to put a new impeller and yet another thermostat in just for good measure and see what happens but hoping someone has some ideas.
2006 SV 211 (sold) went to the dark side
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
05 Four Winns H180 (sold)
89 Four Winns 180 Freedom (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 1:14am
Are you using a genuine PCM 160 degree thermostat?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 8:18am
I have tried both pcm brand from nautique parts and one from the local parts store and both seem to give me trouble. I just ordered another one from NP.
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
LeftFieldEngineering View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 8:24am
When does it heat up? At idle? At speed?
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 9:18am
At speed
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 9:21am
Originally posted by *mtrbtr* *mtrbtr* wrote:

At speed

What temp does it get up to?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 10:25am
You might want to test the 'stat in a pan of water on the stove top. Use a thermometer to see what temp it opens up at.

My buddy has an I/O on which has same problem. He took it to a mech who replaced outdrive impeller (which didn't help) & then told my buddy he didn't want to work on it any further (is why I got involved). I searched online & saw that blocked exhaust manifolds/ risers is a common cause for high speed overheat.

I took off 1 riser & it was like new, so no cigar there.

We back flushed thru the hose leading to riser & that did reduce the problem considerably, so that points to sand buildup in system somewhere.

Good luck.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 11:00am
I never let it get up above 190. When I took the t stat out it would run around 120 at speed.
Pretty sure my hoses are fine since I have had them apart so many times this year.   Also the water we run in is cleaner than most lakes. But just in case can you explain the process of backflushing?
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 11:12am
I had a weird overheat issue with my 79 tique 351. It would be cool as a cucumber up to 35 mph then heat up at barefoot speed. I thought it was a pickup problem because it was cool the rest of the time. Turned out to be a bad mechanical seal in the raw water pump. It would leak air which would collect at the top of the intake manifold causing high temp reading. I used an infrared thermometer to keep an eye on different parts of the motor. A Major RWP rebuild kit fixed it, now it runs cool up to 50 mph.

*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 11:13am
I've tested every one on the stove. They all seem like they work properly. Its just weird. Usually a new one does the trick. Maybe the one I got this year was just cheap. Could a weak impeller or raw water pump not force it through the T state well enough? That's the only thing I can think of that could be wrong since it cools right down without a t stat in at all. I plan to put a new impeller in next weekend along with a PCM impeller but it just doesn't seem like I should have this much trouble with t stats.
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 11:16am
It doesn't heat up at speed without the thermostat in.
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 11:26am
I would be testing the RWP performance
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I would be testing the RWP performance

x2 What he said

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 2:26pm

It doesn't heat up at speed without the thermostat in.

Have you confirmed it's actually getting that hot or just the gauge? When I had the air pocket problem from the leaking RWP the gauge would read off the chart yet I could still keep my hand on the water pump u bend or the intake manifold.

When you remove the t-Stat it allows more of the air / water thru which is seen as a drop in temp.

Like the others said: test the RWP.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 2:57pm
Not thread jacking hopefully--can I replace the T-stat without removing the hoses from the housing on my GT-40? Is there enough slack to lift the housing still attached to the hoses? Mine are stuck on and i just want to get the stat in since mine is stuck open.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 3:02pm
Yes? If not remove just the starboard side exhaust feed.
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 3:20pm
Tryathlete: I was able to get mine out without removing the hoses.

I don't think the gauge or the sender on mine is wrong since the water was hot when I pulled out the thermostat plus I replaced the sending unit on mine last year before I figured out I had a bad thermostat at that time.

I am going to go ahead and order a new water pump. Pricey but I am a little suspect of it anyway and it has been making some noise lately. Will get the new stat and pump on with new impeller and see what happens. Might be overkill but I have some church camps I am committed to in early July and don't have a lot of time to be messing with things,

97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by LeftFieldEngineering LeftFieldEngineering wrote:

I had a weird overheat issue with my 79 tique 351. It would be cool as a cucumber up to 35 mph then heat up at barefoot speed. I thought it was a pickup problem because it was cool the rest of the time. Turned out to be a bad mechanical seal in the raw water pump. It would leak air which would collect at the top of the intake manifold causing high temp reading. I used an infrared thermometer to keep an eye on different parts of the motor. A Major RWP rebuild kit fixed it, now it runs cool up to 50 mph.

Get one of those harbor freight infrared readers for $30 and check the manifolds. Left field--how do you check for air coming in via the water pump? Just look for a hot manifold? Seems like only way.

I think LF is onto something. What bothers me Is that the replacement solves the problem each year. Are you running in brackish water? Do you winterize with marine coolant? I replaced mine (ran 120F like yours--was stuck open) and now it runs 160F all the time.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 10:19pm
Hollywood--one side removal. This was key! Starboard side came off easily.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 10:22pm

Tryathlete: I was able to get mine out without removing the hoses.

I don't think the gauge or the sender on mine is wrong since the water was hot when I pulled out the thermostat plus I replaced the sending unit on mine last year before I figured out I had a bad thermostat at that time.

I am going to go ahead and order a new water pump. Pricey but I am a little suspect of it anyway and it has been making some noise lately. Will get the new stat and pump on with new impeller and see what happens. Might be overkill but I have some church camps I am committed to in early July and don't have a lot of time to be messing with things,

Not sure where you're buying it but I did see on eBay someone selling "rebuilt" pumps for much less than new although I would call and inquire what the "rebuild" includes. Ebay water pump
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2016 at 1:13am
Not in brackish water. (Montana). I did see the rebuild on eBay. I Winterize by draining the engine. then sucking marine coolant through and then draining it again. Not sure if the coolant could be causing problems but again put a new stat in as part of the dewinterizing process.
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2016 at 1:30am
My TS was 20 years old I suspect. It failed due to corrosion. Automotive TS last forever in most cases because they are protected in coolant with anti-corrosion additives, and our thermostats sit in air or water. I know my thermostat was dry and not soaked in coolant over the last 20 winters.

I dont know anyone who has the troubles you're having who operates in fresh water. I'm really curious about what is happening with yours.
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2016 at 10:47am
Me too!
I wonder if maybe it's getting hung up on the housing some how. Going to look at that. i know that they have changed the design of the Ford Thermostats in the last few years and you can't hardly find one like the original. Even the oem ones from PCM have a different design.
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2016 at 10:54am
Any chance it is getting 'pinched' during installation? I did that once (in a car) & it would open erratically.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2016 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

I would call and inquire what the "rebuild" includes. Ebay water pump

Cut and paste from ad,

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: OEM Sherwood G20 / G21 Raw Water Sea Pump. Disassembled / Media Blasted / Inspected / New Parts Installed / Painted / Tested. New bearings, SS bolts, impeller, o-ring, gasket, mechanical seal and retaining rings are installed. Grooved wear plates are resurfaced or replaced. The pumps are painted Black and the body is left brass. They are tested and lubricated with glycerin impeller lube.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2016 at 2:05pm
That is a pretty thorough description-- would probably buy a new one anyways simply because it is not THAT huge of a savings versus something like a transmission where new versus rebuilt is so substantial.

I should look into making them myself at our factory in Shanghai. Would be a high margin item for sure if there were enough sales to justify it. I think I will call PCM and see how many they need in a given year.

*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2016 at 5:19pm
So I took the boat out today with the new raw water pump PCM Thermostat. Seemed to run fine for a while then it heated up suddenly again.   I pulled it and it cooled right down. Put it back in and it ran fine for a while right at temperature and then suddenly heated up again. I don't understand why it runs fine without it.   I took it home and tested it in water. It opens very wide at 190 and about 1/4" at 170 and not at all at 160.
Maybe I have bigger issues like a cracked head but I am at a total loss right now.   
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2016 at 5:36pm
I wonder if your engine circulation pump is not functioning properly. The raw water pump cools th manifolds and feeds water to the engine block but the other one...,just a guess. Others far wiser and with decades of this stuff should follow with more ideas.

Is there a hose that may be collapsing from the suction on the hose from RWP a possibility?

Is any air leaking into the cooling lines from a loose hose fitting of maybe the gasket on the raw water filter?
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2016 at 6:12pm
I did pull one of the plugs and started the engine and revved it and water sprayed out.   According to Skidim that is supposed to be how to test if the circulation pump is working or not.
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2016 at 6:23pm
The circulation pump on my Florida boat started started to make alot of noise.I pulled it to replace and found a regular automotive pump was installed by a PO. The vanes on the pump were almost rusted away,it never overheated nor run hot. So I don't know if it would be that.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic