NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crankcase full of tan oil

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2016 at 1:05am
Best way for me Pete was a call to Tim Benjamin . My boat had sat from June till October,there was no milky oil. Ran it for a bit to warm it up and change,oil was then milky. I then pulled the plugs and saw water on one.. Pulled the riser and saw the water that was left in the still attached manifold was lower than it was in the other side. Then pulled the exhaust manifold and saw a rust streak in a port, the same one that had water on the plug.
With the points,after filing I was taught to take a 1/4" piece of notebook paper and drag it thru the closed points using a screwdriver to lift some of the spring tension off. You'd be surprised what comes out and it makes sure nothing that's filed off is left in.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2016 at 1:07am
Good deal!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2016 at 1:21am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

With the points,after filing I was taught to take a 1/4" piece of notebook paper and drag it thru the closed points using a screwdriver to lift some of the spring tension off. You'd be surprised what comes out and it makes sure nothing that's filed off is left in.

Made me smile - I do that too, it's a satisfying feeling to see the gray streak on the paper from removing whatever is left on the contacts.

Brad, glad to hear it fired up! So you are running it on a water hose, after an oil change, correct? Did you run it for any length of time, and see any milkyness in the oil or a rise in oil level? If you run it on the hose and are not seeing water in the oil, why not throw it in the water and run it for a bit, see what happens?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
dabeastro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabeastro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2016 at 1:23am
Well. Sorta good. Here is a quick video of the rumble.

Rumble Video

But here's a picture of where water is pouring out below the spark plug bores. The cap popped off this port on both sides of the engine. Does this lead straight to the crankcase? I sure hope not because as you can see, there is a bunch of rusty crud in there. What are these ports with lids and why do the welds holding them in look so crappy?

Port Pic
1989 351 Ski Nautique
dabeastro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabeastro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2016 at 1:36am
Running on a bucket hose setup after an oil change. Oil is milky again after just a minute or two of running. Not sure if that's new water or stuff from the bottom of the pan.
1989 351 Ski Nautique
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2016 at 1:45am
Brad

Those are core plugs used by the foundry when pouring the engine block. If both of them are popped out, there a pretty good chance someone let the engine freeze up. Water in the engine block can sometimes pop these out, hence the improper name "freeze plugs". You can crack the block by freezing it and those plugs still won't leave their place necessarily. I'm still thinking that your engine, sometime In the last 4-5 years of sitting full of water and not winterized suffered a big chill.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2016 at 2:24am
Not looking good. If water was just coming out of the missing plugs and not getting into the oil you could just replace the plugs. But since it's in the oil and those are missing like Pete says she froze. The good news is it turns the same way a car or truck does,so it will make life easier. You still need to look for a "marine" short or long block engine they have different clearances and brass core plugs. You will need to transfer everything else to the new block assy.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2016 at 2:27am
Hey Dave,are we showing our age?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dabeastro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabeastro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2016 at 2:35am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Not looking good. If water was just coming out of the missing plugs and not getting into the oil you could just replace the plugs. But since it's in the oil and those are missing like Pete says she froze. The good news is it turns the same way a car or truck does,so it will make life easier. You still need to look for a "marine" short or long block engine they have different clearances and brass core plugs. You will need to transfer everything else to the new block assy.

I'm going to punch the plugs back in and swap the oil again to verify that it is new water getting in. But I am guessing I will be getting a great education in rebuilding with a new block. Which is something I have actually always wanted to do. Just thought it would have 4 tires and not a prop.
1989 351 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 9:19am
Brad,
Any update on the water issue? After seeing the popped core plug picture, I concur that that block froze. Maybe your father-in-law isn't as anal as you believe! By chance did he lend the boat out to a friend before the layup?

BTW, hopefully you didn't purchase a deep cycle battery. You want a starting battery.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 9:58am
Popped core plugs + tan oil = good mooring anchor. I'd go buy a salvage yard engine and put your marine carb and raw water pump in it and get it in the boat. When layup time comes in the Fall you can decide if you want a rebuild and do it on a relaxed schedule. Alternatively buy a rebuilt long block and you won't have the rebuild to do.

Hope you and your father-in-law don't have issues with his frozen block. It happens.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 10:11am
Don't forget to switch over marine fuel pump, alternator, & starter too.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 10:15am
Good point on the other accessories!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 10:30am
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

Alternatively buy a rebuilt long block and you won't have the rebuild to do.

I like that idea. I worry that dropping a salvage yard engine in will give you a summer of problems and frustration.

Pete, not sure the battery is his primary concern right now!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 10:44am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Alternatively buy a rebuilt long block and you won't have the rebuild to do.

I like that idea. I worry that dropping a salvage yard engine in will give you a summer of problems and frustration.

Not advocating one way or the other but if they can be found, which certainly is not as easy as it was 5 years ago I would argue that a reasonably low mileage salvage yard engine is slightly less likely to provide a summer of trouble than a rebuilt long block.   Either way you would be using nothing other than the longblock and would be able to inspect well enough the health of the engine in use. With the rebuilt long block you are however at the mercy of the quality of the rebuilder and the parts used.   

Either way – this guy is going to need another engine- if he happens to run across a nice one out of a heavy duty ford truck or bronco from around 1996 on www.car-parts.com or locally on craigslist or at a salvage yard I wouldn’t be scared of it.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
dabeastro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabeastro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 11:33am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Brad,
Any update on the water issue? After seeing the popped core plug picture, I concur that that block froze. Maybe your father-in-law isn't as anal as you believe! By chance did he lend the boat out to a friend before the layup?

BTW, hopefully you didn't purchase a deep cycle battery. You want a starting battery.

Matter of fact, the boat did go out as a loaner the last time it was out. Which probably led to it being put away wet. Starting battery installed.
1989 351 Ski Nautique
dabeastro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabeastro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 11:39am

Popped core plugs + tan oil = good mooring anchor. I'd go buy a salvage yard engine and put your marine carb and raw water pump in it and get it in the boat. When layup time comes in the Fall you can decide if you want a rebuild and do it on a relaxed schedule. Alternatively buy a rebuilt long block and you won't have the rebuild to do.

Hope you and your father-in-law don't have issues with his frozen block. It happens.

I actually made a friend while buying oil that is getting a '91 SN up and running. I mentioned I may need a new motor and he showed me a picture of a 351W (in Ford blue) he has sitting and is willing to part with. Will be getting with him next weekend.

I like the idea of keeping the old motor for a Fall rebuild. Won't be any issues with the father-in-law. He wanted it out of his garage and no money changed hands. He'll probably want to help cover repair costs. I won't argue too much with that.   
1989 351 Ski Nautique
dabeastro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabeastro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 11:44am
Good points. I am actually the only mechanic I trust. I would rather go through it regardless.

I have not given up all hope that the freeze was not catastrophic to the block. I can't get at the boat again until next weekend. Will update once I do.
1989 351 Ski Nautique
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 4:27pm
Mine was frozen when I purchased it... new exhaust manifolds and "core plugs" and I was water free in the oil pan. I'd pull the manifolds and check them, they are definitely a weak link, and could be dumping water right back into the engine. There is a thread in the FAQ section that show's what I did to check the manifolds; there are other methods also, but my method used the tools and parts I had on hand.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 5:16pm
That would be nice if just manifolds. Very nice. You see there's hope here! If this all it is you should buy a powerball ticket.
dabeastro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabeastro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

Mine was frozen when I purchased it... new exhaust manifolds and "core plugs" and I was water free in the oil pan. I'd pull the manifolds and check them, they are definitely a weak link, and could be dumping water right back into the engine. There is a thread in the FAQ section that show's what I did to check the manifolds; there are other methods also, but my method used the tools and parts I had on hand.

Thank you for the suggestion and the awesome write up in the FAQ. I'm struck by how great the CCF community is. I really appreciate all the help.
1989 351 Ski Nautique
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2016 at 1:59pm
NP, I've gotten way more help here than I've ever given, it's nice to be on the giving end
I hope this works as well for you as it did for me!
dabeastro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabeastro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2016 at 10:37pm
Attempting to pop the core plugs back in and run it a bit to try and make positive determination if I need to pull the exhaust manifolds or perhaps the motor. Of course the plugs that popped are behind the mounts (center plugs). Thinking of doing the jack and block trick to remove the mount and pound them back in. But I am in no way confident that the bilge will carry the weight of the motor. Any opinions?

EDIT: Found another forum thread where a guy used a padded 4x4 across the gunwales with rachet straps to take weight off the mounts. That actually sounds like a decent solution to me...
1989 351 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2016 at 11:09pm
Why not pull those manifolds at the same time? It's a no-brainer if you ask me. If you see leaking manifolds you can be way ahead. Core plugs aren't causing the entry of water into the oil, but manifolds are the weak link according to Gary S--and he's already paved the road to the answer.

I think we all want to hear the cheer of victory and see you on the water.
dabeastro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabeastro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2016 at 11:24pm

Why not pull those manifolds at the same time? It's a no-brainer if you ask me. If you see leaking manifolds you can be way ahead. Core plugs aren't causing the entry of water into the oil, but manifolds are the weak link according to Gary S--and he's already paved the road to the answer.

I think we all want to hear the cheer of victory and see you on the water.

You right. Just wanted to fire it up again without water pouring out the core plug ports. Might as well figure out if the manifolds look alright and go from there. I've never reused a gasket in anything I sit in and I am not planning on doing so now unless anyone else has strong opinions. I do rockauto for car stuff. Any suggestions on boat part merchants? Nautiqueparts and iboats both look legit...
1989 351 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2016 at 11:24pm
Don't blame me Pete there were many who figured that out before,I just took their advise and passed what I had found on mine
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2016 at 12:06am
NP has great service. I'd buy from them just because of that. If you need manifolds maybe ask them for a "best price". Don't forget the discount code.
dabeastro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabeastro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 1:00am
Got the cast plugs put back in and changed the oil again after a few idle runs off a hose. Managed to replace the plugs by setting a jack as support under the oil pan and removing one motor mount at a time. This worked really well and was easier than I anticipated. I noted that the two plugs that were out had signs of prolonged failure, rust stains below the ports.

Today I chose to put the boat on the lake and run it a bit and verify that water was coming in (and to what extent) before I started taking things apart (had a buddy in another boat just in case).. Ran it for about an hour with at least 10 minutes wide open and 15 minutes at high rpm.. Checked the dipstick and the level was unchanged. Brought it home and drained the oil. Maybe a few tablespoons of lightish brown oil. Caught it and noted that it did not separate. Rest of the pan looked like it should. Just a bit darker than it went in. That was the second oil change after finding nearly a gallon of water in the crankcase.

Not sure I am in the clear just yet. Going to take it out tomorrow or Saturday and run it a few hours and do another drain and fill. So now my question is, where did all the water come from?!? Maybe I've got an internal leak somewhere, but based on what I saw today, it's gotta be pretty slow and I can hardly imagine how a gallon gets in there unless it went a very long time without an oil change. I've got another alternate theory to the block freezing. Perhaps the core plug came out and someone filled the bilge while running the boat. I've read that this can lead to lots of water entering the engine, but I'm not exactly sure how. Any thoughts?

I will still probably pull the exhaust manifolds and heads to assess the condition of the internals, but probably not until I run it for awhile, provided that I do not see any milky oil.
1989 351 Ski Nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 5:14am
Glad it is running and sounds like it must be running well.
I would never run my engine wide open longer than 15 to 30 seconds but that is me.
If you had a major leak the crankcase would already be full of water. I would certainly change the oil again using a quality oil with protection for your camshaft. Diesel oil like Delo or Rotella offers great protection at low cost. It is available in 15-40 or 10-30.
Then go run it and hope for the best. A small amount of water in your oil will boil off at engine temperatures, if you are still taking on water into the block it will turn the oil into a milkshake and will be very obvious. I am thinking you dodged a bullet on this engine.
I have used both Diesel fuel and tranny fluid, ATF as a flush. Just to wash everything up, I install the Diesel or tranny fluid about 4 qts and run the engine at idle about 10 minutes then drain and reinstall motor oil. It will get an amazing amount of gunk out of an engine. There is no doubt you have rust in the block after all the internals were doused in water.
Rust can work like an abrasive on your engine bearings and piston rings so a good flush might help save the engine although after 10 minutes wide open it may be past that point.
Irydslow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irydslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2016 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by dabeastro dabeastro wrote:

Got the cast plugs put back in and changed the oil again after a few idle runs off a hose. Managed to replace the plugs by setting a jack as support under the oil pan and removing one motor mount at a time. This worked really well and was easier than I anticipated. I noted that the two plugs that were out had signs of prolonged failure, rust stains below the ports.

Curious how you got the cast plugs back in? Noticed one of mine popped today as I fired up the boat for the first time for the season. Water pouring out of it. Hoping, like yourself, that is all that is wrong...
78 Correct Craft Southwind 20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic