NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crankcase full of tan oil

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2016 at 7:23pm
Chris,
The core plugs are driven in. I'd say the chances are very good that you will find a youtube video on the exact how.

How did you winterize the engine? Although the core plugs are NOT designed to prevent freeze damage, they do sometimes pop out if the block is frozen without proper winterizing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
brettmcox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Irydslow Irydslow wrote:

Originally posted by dabeastro dabeastro wrote:

Got the cast plugs put back in and changed the oil again after a few idle runs off a hose. Managed to replace the plugs by setting a jack as support under the oil pan and removing one motor mount at a time. This worked really well and was easier than I anticipated. I noted that the two plugs that were out had signs of prolonged failure, rust stains below the ports.

Curious how you got the cast plugs back in? Noticed one of mine popped today as I fired up the boat for the first time for the season. Water pouring out of it. Hoping, like yourself, that is all that is wrong...

I had a 73 cobalt with around 3000 hours on a 188/888 ford motor. One season a freeze plug fell out after 40 years of use....

I just put a rubber plug back in. It was a little hard because of the placement... (working around motor mount). But worked for me for a few more years. Saw it on Craigslist 8 years later.
2001 Super Sport GT40 - Current
1986 SN2001 351 stock- Past....
1973 Cobalt 188/888 Stock - Past...
jborzak View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jborzak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 3:11pm
Can I set up this Timmy T on a 04 SS210? Is it a kit or just by each piece? Unfortunately I had to many moments of need this year. Easier to repair at home.
1972 CC Skier
2004 CC Super Sport 210
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by jborzak jborzak wrote:

Can I set up this Timmy T on a 04 SS210? Is it a kit or just by each piece? Unfortunately I had to many moments of need this year. Easier to repair at home.

the Timmy Tee is about $9 worth of parts available at your local Lowes store.   the Setup can be used on any boat as long as you install the T on the correct side of the cooling system.   find the water inlet (hull pickup) and somewhere between there and the transmission cooler, there should be a spot where you can cut the 1" cooling hose and splice in the T. sorry to hear that you've had problems!
jborzak View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jborzak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 4:15pm
Thanks
1972 CC Skier
2004 CC Super Sport 210
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 4:25pm
oops wrong post
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 4:55pm
I just installed the Timmy T two weeks ago on my 95. It set up easy and worked well.
Mine did have the 1 inch hose so my T is a 1 inch T, the picture showed a 3/4 T.
Be sure and buy clamps to match while at the store.
dabeastro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabeastro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2016 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Glad it is running and sounds like it must be running well.
I would never run my engine wide open longer than 15 to 30 seconds but that is me.
If you had a major leak the crankcase would already be full of water. I would certainly change the oil again using a quality oil with protection for your camshaft. Diesel oil like Delo or Rotella offers great protection at low cost. It is available in 15-40 or 10-30.
Then go run it and hope for the best. A small amount of water in your oil will boil off at engine temperatures, if you are still taking on water into the block it will turn the oil into a milkshake and will be very obvious. I am thinking you dodged a bullet on this engine.
I have used both Diesel fuel and tranny fluid, ATF as a flush. Just to wash everything up, I install the Diesel or tranny fluid about 4 qts and run the engine at idle about 10 minutes then drain and reinstall motor oil. It will get an amazing amount of gunk out of an engine. There is no doubt you have rust in the block after all the internals were doused in water.
Rust can work like an abrasive on your engine bearings and piston rings so a good flush might help save the engine although after 10 minutes wide open it may be past that point.

Ran it WOT for about 15 minutes today. I was only push it wide open for a few minutes at a time tops.

I ran a few more oil changes on it and now everything is coming out clear. Putting anything other than oil in a crankcase makes me feel weird. I've heard both stories of success and horror.
1989 351 Ski Nautique
dabeastro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabeastro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2016 at 4:54pm
Just an update. I have had the boat out a few more times, changing the oil and filter each time to check for water and to help clean things up. Last change came out looking almost as clean as it went in. Went so far as to run a hot plate crackle test for good measure and there is no indication of water in the oil. Soooo....I am going with my theory that the water come in through a flooded bilge. Or maybe somebody messed up a flush really bad? Not sure how, but in the end, I am not taking on water and I'm happy. Thanks to everyone for their input and help. I'll get some pics up next time I'm on the water and have my buddy cruising along side me.
1989 351 Ski Nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 2:58am
That was a great idea to keep changing the oil. You got it flushed and each change removed the rust etc that was in there.   Glad it is running well.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 3:08am
A note on wide open running on the engine. I had a customer that ran Whale watching trips off the coast in Alaska. He got paid by the trip. It was a half hour out and a half hour back dead time just to reach the whales so his customers could get their moneys worth.
He ran 460 Ford Engines, two per boat. The engines lasted only 2 months each because he ran them wide open all the way out and all the way back trying to get one more run in each day. Wide open runs heat everything up to the max and work all the internals to the absolute max. I do it too but I limit the wide open time knowing it shortens my engine life. We did upgrade the parts internally and got his engine life up by another month to 3 months but the Valves upgrade was to Inconel and the seats in the heads were upgraded to some high tech material but that was the best we did.
The exhaust valves in the OEM Ford Marine Engine and the seats failed first in those hard working engines.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic