Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

starter

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
moe View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: starter
    Posted: May-19-2004 at 10:55pm
I need to buy a new starter for my boat its got a 351 in it, but I'm not sure which one to buy? LH or RH, the prop spins to my left if you look at it from reat of the boat. can someone help me out with this please

thanks, moe
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2004 at 11:03pm
you have a standard rotation engine LH.
kenny g
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2004 at 1:04am
Take it to an Auto Electrical Shop. They should be able to rebuild it for 1/2 the price of new. Also If you buy new or rebuilt make sure it is Marine,. One of the diferences is the gear is made to engage and not disengage until the engine reaches a certian RPM or stops This is to reduce spark caused by the starter gear hitting an already moving flywheel.
Seekndestroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seekndestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2004 at 9:20am
Originally posted by Rick Rick wrote:

Take it to an Auto Electrical Shop. They should be able to rebuild it for 1/2 the price of new. Also If you buy new or rebuilt make sure it is Marine,. One of the diferences is the gear is made to engage and not disengage until the engine reaches a certian RPM or stops This is to reduce spark caused by the starter gear hitting an already moving flywheel.

Exactly, never buy a replacement starter or alternator if it is possible. Always have your current part rebuilt.
nms1991 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nms1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2004 at 8:34pm
if you do get a replacement check to make sure it is the right rotation for your engine. you can check the bevel cut on the leading edge of the starter gear to see if it is the same as the one you are installing. also to tell what engine rotation you have check your tag on you engine if it is a pcm, the second letter in the model number is the rotation ie PLP PRR123 M is a left hand 351 raw water cooled with a pcm 1.23:1 trans. A PRD WRR10 is a right hand 351 rawwater cooled with a velvet drive 1:1 trans.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic