NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boater Friendly Vacation Spots?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boater Friendly Vacation Spots?
    Posted: July-01-2016 at 3:41am
My annual "Great Family Vacation" is around the corner. Heading Up'ta Maine come Aug. for a week with the boat. And as I am planning it got me thinking.
Being a relatively cheap prick, I like to camp rather than hotel hop, and fly to destination vacations. I've heard of and found a few campgrounds that seem boater friendly but somehow always wind up at the same one every year. Looking for suggestions, reviews, share experiences? Maybe if enough interest we can compile a list state by state? Lake by lake?
We all enjoy using our boats and having another reason is all the better.

MAINE- Long Lake,
Awesome lake, its like 11 miles long. Plenty of places to go by boat, can day trip down the Songo river, and through the locks into Sebago lake. a few sand bars, and bar bars that can be visited by boat, gas pumps, good water can be found most days, just watch for the Cig boats if your out in the center. good race location.
I have camped at Four Seasons Campground and Colonial Mast Campground.
Both have rentable boat slips right on the lake and good facilities. Four seasons even has campsites with their own docks. I stay there every year for family Vacation. so far, my favorite location. actually thought of getting a seasonal but would rather explore some new places.
BTW anyone in that area Aug-6 to the 13th and want a tug behind the BFN or a shot on the boom give a shout. we will be there all week putting some hard hours on her.
-Tony
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
cadunkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadunkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 10:39pm
I stay on nearby Thompson every summer. A bit less busy than Long Lake and Sebago. Last year I did my first venture to Long Lake and through the lock into Sebago. What a cool trip! I plan to do a Sebago day trip this summer, probably drop in on Sebago and go north through the lock for lunch on the causeway and back to Sebago to explore. Coming out of the Songo River into Sebago feels like heading out into the ocean, big water.

In any event, I'll be arriving somewhere around Aug 11 and staying a few weeks. Usually looking for a pull or a driver as my girl isn't comfortable pulling me yet. Not sure how timing will work or if I'll hit Sebago that first weekend. I'd be happy to join you for a few sets or offer a pull on my lake.
s_kelley2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s_kelley2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 6:53pm
Growing up my family camped on Winnipasaukee a few times. It was in Paugus Bay so out of the huge water and you can get to Wiers Beach very easily by boat or car for day and night entertainment. Meredith and Alton Bay are also relatively easy boat rides without getting into the really rough main part of the lake. Although your Footer will handle the chop a lot better than my family's 90 Sport or my SS did. I just googled and it is called Paugus Bay Camp Ground. If you google earth it you will see that it is in a very small protected cove that you go under a RR bridge to get into so your boat is well protected when docked up. There are also a couple of small cottage rental places in Paugus Bay that we stayed in that were fun but not sure on pricing. Let me know if you need more info or tips, I know the area pretty well..

We have been hitting Lake Winnisquam quite a bit the past few years. Fun lake with a great sandbar. Doesn't get chopped up like the big lake does so better for water sport but far less places to go via boat. It's only about a 15-20 minute car ride to the Wiers Beach area so lots to do close by. Not sure there is any camping on there though.

There is Point Sebago campground if you want to switch it up and be on the other side of the Songo. I stayed there a few times growing up and loved it. I have a friends there now staying in the Point Sebago Resort so I can report back what he has to say if you are interested.

I stayed on Long Lake for a wknd last year and took the Songo trip down to Sebago. So much fun! I was the only one on the boat that had made the trip before but it had been 20+ years. It started as an overcast day but we all had a blast. The whole trip down I kept saying we'd only venture out onto Sebago if it was really calm. Otherwise we'd hit the sandbar for a while and head back up. It was GLASS when we came around the corner so out we went for a nice swim in 300 foot clear water.

1999 Python Super Sport
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 9:13pm
I have never seen sebago look like that before you got lucky. I have made the trip to the rocks at fry a few times. got to be careful because you never know with the weather in the mountains up there. I have stayed at point sebago long time ago. that whole area is great. I prefer to be on the LL side of the causeyway now because its closer to all the stores and shops.
Cadunk I will be nearing the end of my Vac when you get up there. I pack up and leave Sat morning the 13th. But when we are up there we don't live by much of a schedule so we can play it by ear on that.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s_kelley2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 11:14am
yes I definitely got lucky the water was so smooth. I was shocked when I came out of the river and saw that. The wind picked up some so it was a little choppy getting back in but nothing like it could have been.
1999 Python Super Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 1:23pm
Not sure how far you are willing to travel, but the Adirondacks are beautiful Old Forge area, tho not deep into the mountains offers a lot. hikes, mountains to climb, Old Forge is a touristy little village. Adirondack museum for a rainy day. Bald mountain colony is a camping resort on 4th lake of the fulton chain.
andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2016 at 11:42pm
We've skied on lake Sunapee in New Hampshire for two family vacations. Rented a house with dock on the lake. They also have campgrounds and public boat ramps. We had a blast on the lake, which is huge. And cold.

The ramp we used for the first vacation was very entertaining. You had to bend the trailer about 45 degrees on to and then down the ramp and into the small stream. Launch the boat and spin it 90 degrees right at the end of the trailer and then basically pole it out to the lake. The stream was shallow, with lots of large rocks, no way was I risking the prop. Found a much better ramp at the end of the lake on the next vacation.
Builder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s_kelley2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 1:22pm
Wow that ramp in the stream sounds sketchy! There is a very nice public ramp in Sunappee Harbor that I used when I was there a few years ago. Great lake with fresh clean water! I need to visit again soon.
1999 Python Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic