NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Old Guy Learning To Ski

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 2:28am
This may seem counter-intuitive, but the middle of the wake is the absolute worst place to learn to drop a ski, especially if you have good water. If you have glass outside the wake, use it. Its hard to get caught in prop wash or a rooster tail outside the wake. Its not impossible, but its hard.

It looked like she dropped her right ski and was going to have her left foot forward, no? (If I saw that wrong, reverse everything that comes next) She should go outside the wake to the left. Or port side of the boat, whatever makes sense to you. The reason is, cutting that direction will give her something to pull against. She'll be leaning out and away from the boat and that will give her additional pull for balance. In the dead center of the wake she will have to stay perfectly balanced straight up and down on her own, which is a difficult transition for a new skier used to being on two. You're going from 3 points of balance two two (ski, ski, handle to ski, handle), so use the rope tension, it will help.

Last thing, nothing needs to happen quickly. She popped that foot out of the ski and fired it at the back of the slalom. Relax. This is also easier outside the wake. Go outside, pull all the way out, and just take a little pressure off her right foot. Then a little more. When she gets comfortable, she'll be able to lift that right ski up off the water. Ankle height, this isn't a contortionist show. But if she can do that, its real easy to slowly slide out of it, then SLOWLY place the back foot on the ski, and it doesn't have to go immediately into the footpiece. We tell beginners to just set it down somewhere. On the ski, on top of the footpiece, in it, wherever it lands. If she is too focused on getting that foot in the hole she will lose concentration, start leaning over to look, and take a drink.

None of that applies only to the misses. Now that you are going back and forth across the wake, do the same thing. Go left, pressure on the left, lift the right. You don't have to kick off immediately, but get used to feeling the skis independently.

Keep up the good work. And the pics/vids.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 5:02am
You guys are doing exactly what you should be doing! Using the boat while having old times with friends!   The rest will come along soon.
When you drop a ski never rush, take your sweet time getting your back foot in and it will work.
Mark
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 9:39am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

You guys are doing exactly what you should be doing! Using the boat while having old times with friends!   The rest will come along soon.
Mark

I had the same thought

All of the above is good advice, especially slow moves when dropping, don't worry about finding the rear binding. Make sure the dropped ski binding is loose enough to get out of without too much difficulty.

For Mrs. Poorhouse, I definitely think it is worth rediscovering the sense of balance on one ski by dropping a ski (or boom if/when you have it) before trying deep water starts. Some time on the water after the drop will help train/strengthen muscles, which should make the deep water starts easier to achieve.

Thinking about the advice your friends were giving, one of the hardest things for me to "get" for my deep water starts was not "pushing" the ski against the pull of the boat, or said another way, trying to straighten my legs too soon. The skier has to let the boat pull them up, not try to pull the boat back to them. For me that means really focusing on keeping my knees bent/arms straight until the ski is beginning to plane, then standing up. Because I start with both feet in, and that is how I have taught me kids, the way I try to get it across to them is to tell them to keep their back foot as close to there backside as possible.

A few other things that could help, if the skier is sitting low in the water, some extra flotation might help (a few examples, I find it easier to get up with a wet suit plus a life vest because I am sitting higher in the water, my non coast guard approved competition vest sits lower than my CG approved vest, and make sure the weight rating for the CG approved vest is adequate). Make sure to keep plenty of ski out of the water (don't start the pull with the tip under water or close to underwater) so the tip doesn't submarine; for this I tell my kids to roll on their back just a little (but keep the back foot close to their backside so the ski can go horizontal when it needs to). If the ski falls to one side or the other, the skier ends up pushing a wall of water, which is difficult to overcome. As the driver, I make sure to take up the slack in the rope before starting the pull; one way to teach this to the skier is have them ask the driver to go "in gear", get settled with just a little drag, then "hit it". Finally, for me, a pull straight behind the boat instead of slightly off to one side is much easier; as a driver, I always try to center the skier, especially learners.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 11:51am
I also support the Mrs. Getting comfortable on one by dropping a ski, but when it's time to resume efforts getting up on one. She and you reported too much weight on her back leg. That does make it tough to get up. Most instructors , books and guides suggest getting up on one ski with rear foot out - two benefits: less weight on back of ski letting it plane quicker/easier. The out leg, stretched out behind you serves to balance the skier and give you more surface area to push you to the surface. Body position is also important. Keep your in the ski knee right up into your chest till ski starts to plane off. Much less strain on the body and promotes you letting the boat do the work.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 12:01pm
All good advice, and congrats on working hard on progressing so quickly! You really looked comfortable on the 2 skis for your 2nd time out.

I've gotten up on one ski for more than 40 years and I still fall at times when I try. When I teach people I tell them the first 4 or 5 tries are just to get the feel of it. In other words, no shame in taking a bunch of tries on multiple times out to get the hang of deep water starts.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 12:01pm
I forgot to mention, the boat sounds great too.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

This may seem counter-intuitive, but the middle of the wake is the absolute worst place to learn to drop a ski, especially if you have good water. If you have glass outside the wake, use it. Its hard to get caught in prop wash or a rooster tail outside the wake. Its not impossible, but its hard.

It looked like she dropped her right ski and was going to have her left foot forward, no? (If I saw that wrong, reverse everything that comes next) She should go outside the wake to the left. Or port side of the boat, whatever makes sense to you. The reason is, cutting that direction will give her something to pull against. She'll be leaning out and away from the boat and that will give her additional pull for balance. In the dead center of the wake she will have to stay perfectly balanced straight up and down on her own, which is a difficult transition for a new skier used to being on two. You're going from 3 points of balance two two (ski, ski, handle to ski, handle), so use the rope tension, it will help.

Last thing, nothing needs to happen quickly. She popped that foot out of the ski and fired it at the back of the slalom. Relax. This is also easier outside the wake. Go outside, pull all the way out, and just take a little pressure off her right foot. Then a little more. When she gets comfortable, she'll be able to lift that right ski up off the water. Ankle height, this isn't a contortionist show. But if she can do that, its real easy to slowly slide out of it, then SLOWLY place the back foot on the ski, and it doesn't have to go immediately into the footpiece. We tell beginners to just set it down somewhere. On the ski, on top of the footpiece, in it, wherever it lands. If she is too focused on getting that foot in the hole she will lose concentration, start leaning over to look, and take a drink.

None of that applies only to the misses. Now that you are going back and forth across the wake, do the same thing. Go left, pressure on the left, lift the right. You don't have to kick off immediately, but get used to feeling the skis independently.

Keep up the good work. And the pics/vids.

This makes a lot of sense. Both the slow pacing when transferring to one ski, and to start lifting outside the wake (we are both left foot forward).

The videos have been fun and I think are helping us learn as well.
A friendly rivalry is taking shape about who will get up on 1 ski first.

Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

When you drop a ski never rush, take your sweet time getting your back foot in and it will work.
Mark

Thanks! We are having a great time.

Originally posted by dwouncmd dwouncmd wrote:

All of the above is good advice, especially slow moves when dropping, don't worry about finding the rear binding. Make sure the dropped ski binding is loose enough to get out of without too much difficulty.

For Mrs. Poorhouse, I definitely think it is worth rediscovering the sense of balance on one ski by dropping a ski (or boom if/when you have it) before trying deep water starts. Some time on the water after the drop will help train/strengthen muscles, which should make the deep water starts easier to achieve.

Thinking about the advice your friends were giving, one of the hardest things for me to "get" for my deep water starts was not "pushing" the ski against the pull of the boat, or said another way, trying to straighten my legs too soon. The skier has to let the boat pull them up, not try to pull the boat back to them. For me that means really focusing on keeping my knees bent/arms straight until the ski is beginning to plane, then standing up. Because I start with both feet in, and that is how I have taught me kids, the way I try to get it across to them is to tell them to keep their back foot as close to there backside as possible.

A few other things that could help, if the skier is sitting low in the water, some extra flotation might help (a few examples, I find it easier to get up with a wet suit plus a life vest because I am sitting higher in the water, my non coast guard approved competition vest sits lower than my CG approved vest, and make sure the weight rating for the CG approved vest is adequate). Make sure to keep plenty of ski out of the water (don't start the pull with the tip under water or close to underwater) so the tip doesn't submarine; for this I tell my kids to roll on their back just a little (but keep the back foot close to their backside so the ski can go horizontal when it needs to). If the ski falls to one side or the other, the skier ends up pushing a wall of water, which is difficult to overcome. As the driver, I make sure to take up the slack in the rope before starting the pull; one way to teach this to the skier is have them ask the driver to go "in gear", get settled with just a little drag, then "hit it". Finally, for me, a pull straight behind the boat instead of slightly off to one side is much easier; as a driver, I always try to center the skier, especially learners.

Good stuff. It seems like forcing that back leg straight to early is the crux of her problem at this point.
Good advise on centering the skier. We usually do that. Our friend was driving who is used to being out with better skiers. She was giving us driving pointers while either I or Mrs. Poorhouse was spotter.

We've been debating about our 6 year old acting as spotter. He understands the job and has been doing great at it. We are concerned about safety but are beginning to think that he is up for the job if just the 3 of us can go out. Any thoughts on that?

Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I also support the Mrs. Getting comfortable on one by dropping a ski, but when it's time to resume efforts getting up on one. She and you reported too much weight on her back leg. That does make it tough to get up. Most instructors , books and guides suggest getting up on one ski with rear foot out - two benefits: less weight on back of ski letting it plane quicker/easier. The out leg, stretched out behind you serves to balance the skier and give you more surface area to push you to the surface. Body position is also important. Keep your in the ski knee right up into your chest till ski starts to plane off. Much less strain on the body and promotes you letting the boat do the work.

This make complete sense to me.

Mrs. Poorhouse will be reading this later today. Will report back with her thoughts.

I don't think we will be able to get back on the water until the weekend. It's going to be tough to wait.

Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

All good advice, and congrats on working hard on progressing so quickly! You really looked comfortable on the 2 skis for your 2nd time out.

I've gotten up on one ski for more than 40 years and I still fall at times when I try. When I teach people I tell them the first 4 or 5 tries are just to get the feel of it. In other words, no shame in taking a bunch of tries on multiple times out to get the hang of deep water starts.

Thank you! It feels great.

I think you can see Mrs. Poorhouse's balance and posture are better than mine. A product of her experience. I'm thinking about body position for her it's natural.

Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

I forgot to mention, the boat sounds great too.

I agree, it is intoxicating and not to loud.

Our friend's boat, also 351 powered has a different muffler set up and doesn't have the rumble ours does. I believe they had some exhaust envy this weekend.   
Sold - 1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
Current - 1996 - MC Prostar 205
I keep doing this wrong.
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Poorhouse Poorhouse wrote:

We've been debating about our 6 year old acting as spotter. He understands the job and has been doing great at it. We are concerned about safety but are beginning to think that he is up for the job if just the 3 of us can go out. Any thoughts on that?

Personally, I'd be fine with a 6 year old being a spotter. When I drive, I am constantly keeping an eye on the skier in the mirror. I have the throttle pulled back before my spotter even mentions the skier is down. If you have to hold up a flag when skier is down, I might think twice.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, but we always boost the speed a few mph once the ski is dropped, or at least start boosting the speed before the drop. When I drop a ski, if i go straight for the boot, my foot tends to find the ski wake and not the boot. I started bringing my foot to my calf, then sliding down and inching back to find the rear toe plate.

All in all, you guys are doing a fantastic job, and I would be in heaven to ski in that setting. so beautiful.

Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by spiralhelix spiralhelix wrote:

Personally, I'd be fine with a 6 year old being a spotter. When I drive, I am constantly keeping an eye on the skier in the mirror. I have the throttle pulled back before my spotter even mentions the skier is down. If you have to hold up a flag when skier is down, I might think twice.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, but we always boost the speed a few mph once the ski is dropped, or at least start boosting the speed before the drop. When I drop a ski, if i go straight for the boot, my foot tends to find the ski wake and not the boot. I started bringing my foot to my calf, then sliding down and inching back to find the rear toe plate.

All in all, you guys are doing a fantastic job, and I would be in heaven to ski in that setting. so beautiful.

I keep my eye on the skier when I'm driving as does my wife so I think it would work. The 6 year old is really into it and keeps a close watch, so is a good helper.

We are borrowing an easy ski for him next weekend, he is beyond excited to try it.

I like the idea of using the attached let to help the free let find it's position. Will keep that in mind.

Good point on speed. We will keep that in mind. We upped our speed this weekend from 18-20 to 20-22 and up to 24. Getting comfortable going faster. The choppy conditions make going faster harder.
I keep doing this wrong.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 1:58pm
Some states have laws that regulate the age of your observer. My boys were trained observers by age 5 but not legal observers till age 12
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 2:28pm
I concur, my girl when 7 was much more alert and on-task then most adults, who usually looking around blabbing away and talking about someones new fence/shed/landscaping and trying to remember who lived where.

but 12 to be legal.

Sh|t at 12 I was driving skiers.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by spiralhelix spiralhelix wrote:

When I am driving, I usually know the skier is down at the same time or before the spotter. In North Carolina, the skier either has to have a PFD or a spotter, but not both, so my wife will pull me alone from time to time; we always have a spotter for the kids. I think the age has less to do with the job than does the temperament. My 7 year old is probably a better spotter than my 8, 11, and 12 year old. I have been teaching all of them to drive (the young ones just idle with me behind them hands on wheel and throttle, the older ones I hope to have pulling each other and me soon).
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

I concur, my girl when 7 was much more alert and on-task then most adults, who usually looking around blabbing away and talking about someones new fence/shed/landscaping and trying to remember who lived where.

Or, like my 20 year old nephew, who spends most of his "spotter" time staring at his phone, FBing, Snapchatting, Instagramming, etc...

This is how it is stated in the Illinois DNR Registration and Safety Act:
"When towing a person on
water skis, aquaplane or similar device, the
towing vessel must have a capacity of at
least three persons and must be occupied by
at least two competent people. "

Competent people?!?! well there are a number of my friends that might fail to meet this criteria

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 3:47pm
One great thing that I picked up from this site concerning driving the boat when pulling a skier is telling the new boat driver to think about pulling away from a green light with a car. The driver does not need to do a burn out they just need to pull away from the light nice and easy but consistent.. This also seems to apply very well to pulling skiers and wake boarders. When people are pulling me, they want to slam the throttle to WOT and rip my arms out of socket. LOL !!

I also heard from Hollywood about starting out with one foot out when learning on one ski. This does seems to help with some folks.

I do all of my teaching of young people to ski with the barefoot boom. I start them on the boom and then move them to the five foot rope from the boom, and then to the back of the boat with the long line. Using the tower, fly high or extended pylon also helps with a new skiers to get them up and going with the higher pull point..

I had always heard the Vee training handle be called an Easy Up Rope with handle. I have also been told not to use it but so many times or it can set back your learning, but I do not know if this is true or not.

JMO,

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 5:29pm
We learned to ski behind a 13'9" wood low profile ski boat with a 75 HP Evenrude hanging on it. The engine in those days was huge for a 13 foot boat.
To pull up a slolom skier we would have to drag a foot. Front foot in the front boot, rear leg loose and pointing out the back.
In those old high powered boats you would yell hit it, Take a deep breath and tuck your head in low behind the tip of the ski. Speed would start to build slowly while you drag.
After about 30 seconds we would pop our head up, take a quick look around as we took another deep breath and went back into the tuck. After about 100 yards of dragging you would be about half way up, my left foot is forward so my left knee is at my chest and my right foot is straight out behind me with the toes pointed. As the speed built you could use the right trailing foot as a second ski but with the leg and toes still pointed out the rear.   You add pressure to the foot helping lift your body up on plane.
This dragging a foot method was the only way possible to get up behind that old ski boat.   Once the boat got on plane it had plenty of power to ski hard behind it and we even barefooted off that old boat but man was that first 100 yards tough.
Dragging a foot gives you almost double the lift on a single ski take off and as others have stated it lets the ski come on plane naturally as the speed builds. With two feet in the bindings many people add weight to the rear foot and end up fighting the whole process.
When I bought my first Nautique a 1978 351W powered boat it was a real powerhouse compared to the old outboards we skied.
Behind this Nautique we taught my best friend to ski, this guy is an unbelievable athlete and a gym rat. At 6'3" and 195 lbs he was squatting 560 pounds at the time we were teaching him to single ski.
He would battle the boat, pressing with all that leg strength so hard he pushed a wave in front of the ski before he would pop up.   He would fight till the vacuum operated secondary in the 4 barrel carb opened, I have never heard that with anyone else unless I had 4 people trying to come up at once. He always said he could not understand how any women could ski because coming up took so much strength.   Then we taught him how to drag a foot and he started popping out like all normal skiers.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 6:00pm
Well explained Mark,

Yes, pushing square against the boat provides no lift..   Angling ski and leg like a planing surface provides lift, less drag, more lift, less drag, etc

heh, both my ladies close their eyes on a oneski start, they say that's the secret to dw start
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 6:12pm
Plenty of friends can do a 2 foot dw slalom start but cannot do a hop dock. Clearly they are making it harder than it needs to be.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 9:05pm
Had to look up "hop dock", found this guide with a bunch of other good stuff.

Hop Dock

Mrs. Poorhouse read through everyone's suggestions and took a look at her videos again.

She was pushing with her back leg not sitting on it and the ski was pretty low in the water.
She's thinking pulling the back of the ski up to her butt will make the difference.

She said she tried the one foot out with leg out behind and toe pointed and couldn't get up, but may try it again as well.

We'll be out on Saturday to give it a try. Going to a lake that is usually pretty quiet so should be able to experiment dropping a ski as well.

Then she and Poorhouse Jr. are off to MA and NH for 3 weeks. I'll be there for a week on Lake Winnipesaukee to celebrate her folks 50th anniversary. Her brother will be there with boat and skis. He and her sister are (or were) slalom skiers, should be a great time.
I keep doing this wrong.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2016 at 4:26am
Poorhouse that introduction to show skiing was a pretty cool link.
We used to do 3 and 6 man pyramids on the river just for fun back in the 80's.
We were skiing 2-3 days every week and I guess we got bored of just skiing.
We learned how to do the 360 degree spin around the boat too.
There is a lot of fun to be had on the water and it can all be family oriented.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2016 at 11:48am
Mrs. Poorhouse [insert any skier ever here] will be better off in the long run getting comfortable with the 1 leg start. She'll eventually see how effortless it can/should be. Don't fall into the 2 foot start trap.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2016 at 12:26pm
What Hollywood sez.

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2016 at 12:42pm
I'm a proponent of strong foot forward,
Those that don't, seem to struggle forever with skiing tail heavy, bad turns, and difficult starts. But others make it work.

If this is the moment to consider that, best not wait.
Its hard to change later..

One ski start one has the advantage of letting the hips rotate, don't have to so square to the water,   Pull the ski under the butt, knee in your face, and pause till the water firms, push the ski and leg out in front of you

River Rat to Mole
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2016 at 1:05pm
Figure it this way, if you only had 1 leg which would it be?

And would you put it in the back of the ski? Hell no.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2016 at 2:57pm
Will get her to try a couple 1 leg starts as well as the 2 leg she currently prefers.
Looking forward to skiing with the brother and sister in law. I think she feels like they will get her some good pointers.

I'm a former skate boarder and occasional snowboarder and always go left foot forward. I would consider that my strong leg. I jump with it as well.
I keep doing this wrong.
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2016 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Mrs. Poorhouse [insert any skier ever here] will be better off in the long run getting comfortable with the 1 leg start. She'll eventually see how effortless it can/should be. Don't fall into the 2 foot start trap.

What about people who ski in double boots?
89 SN
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2016 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by dwouncmd dwouncmd wrote:

What about people who ski in double boots?

I think the answer is obvious.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2016 at 4:13pm

I think she feels like they will get her some good pointers.

I've heard far more bad advice over the years than good.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2016 at 5:09pm

I think she feels like they will get her some good pointers.

I've heard far more bad advice over the years than good.

True with most things.

I know she is hoping to get up this weekend and have some time on 1 ski before going to the reunion. Sibling rivalry and what not. If she is still struggling we'll see what they have to offer.

Updated forecast for Saturday - 67 with 20% chance of rain.   
I keep doing this wrong.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2016 at 7:43pm
Old? Reheheheally now...learning to barefoot at 53!
This is the life
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2016 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Old? Reheheheally now...learning to barefoot at 53!

Nice!

If I get this skiing thing figured out maybe I'll be ready to try that at 53!
I keep doing this wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic