Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Motor Gets Hot When I Shut Off

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1998Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motor Gets Hot When I Shut Off
    Posted: June-21-2006 at 9:53am
After driving the boat for about a half an hour I pulled up to shore and shut it off, I went to restart 10 mins later and the temp guage was showing hot, enough for the check engine light to come on. Onoce I started it it cooled off right away. Is this normal or is there a way to let it cool down?
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 10:22am
I read somewhere that when the engine sits, the water that's left in the engine continues to heat since it's not circulating. When you turn the engine on it reads this higher temp water until cooler lake water can circulate. Not sure if this is right but it makes sense.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 10:43am
I use a 142 thermostat, and the hottest I've ever seen mine get while sitting is 160. When you shut one off, it's going to heat up some before it cools off. If you let one sit until it reaches that peak temp and then crank it you have 80 degree lake water rushing in which would be a good chance for thermo shock.
Tim D
Martinique87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martinique87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 9:27pm
Mine does the same thing. I asked Woody at Southeast Correct Craft if it was normal and he said that it was, as long as it quickly returms to normal temp.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic