NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Model 2001 Ride Quality

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
86ER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Model 2001 Ride Quality
    Posted: July-14-2016 at 10:25am
The lake where I'm using my boat can regularly develop a chop of 1 to 2 feet on the downwind side. The ride over a 1 foot chop appears extremely harsh to me, and pretty much loosens your fillings if you ride over another boats wake at anything over 25 mph, not to mention the fact that the boat feels like it's rattling to pieces. If I am approaching another boats wake, I'll generally throttle back to about 15 mph so I don't beat the boat to death. I realize that this hull wasn't necessarily designed to slice through waves, but it seems to me that the boat should feel much more solid than it does . I'm wondering if what I'm experiencing is a clear indication that the stringers are fried. To the best of my knowledge, they have never been repaired or replaced.

I've never driven one of these boats before this season, so I'd like to get some feedback from owners regarding the ride quality of the 2001 model over chop or boat wakes. Comments from anyone who has driven one both before and after stringer replacement would be a great help.
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 11:38am
I have an 89 2001 that I bought a couple of months ago. I had it out last month on the main channel of a pretty large lake with some decent chop- I was actually impressed with how it handled being an inboard ski boat. My stringers are original but I know they are solid...the boat and hull itself felt really solid as well going through some pretty big wakes and chop. Have you checked your stringers? I'm sure others will chime in with opinions.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 11:47am
So I am gonna throw my two cents in. I have a fleet of 1990's v-drive boats (deep-v) hulls. I recently bought a "2001 hull" boat. I took my kids out in it for 20 minutes in some choppy water. My kids begged me if you could go home and get our "real" boat.   You will pound your brains out in anything that resembles a chop. I am almost done with a 1991 barefoot Nautique that I'm gonna sell. You'd love these boats. Cut through the waves like butter.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 11:48am
Your driving a flat bottom 30 odd years old tournament ski boat,one of the best of its day. When was the last time you saw a competition skier taking on 1 foot waves? They were not made for that anymore than a Donzi was made for tournament skiing. It is what it is.
Rod I know you know but for others in the future coming across this thread,not all 90's vdrives are deep vee's,just the Excells and their variants.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 11:55am
The mushy boats I've driven still feel pretty darn solid. Thick hulls, glass schedules on the stringers and floor, engine cradle... These boats are pretty robust. That said, any flat bottom boat is going to struggle in 1-2' chop. Keep the speed down (15-20) and the nose up and you'll be ok.

If you think Sn's ride poorly in rough water, you've clearly never been in a similar MC, supreme, etc. SN's are hands down the best riding flat bottom tournament ski boats made (2001+).
86ER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 12:11pm
Appreciate the info guys. I was planning to redo the stringers this winter, but decided to hold off until the following winter, unless it really needs it now. Sounds like I'll probably be good for another season.

One other question regarding gel coat cracks. It has them all over the hull bottom and sides below the waterline, but they don't run longitudinally as is common with bad stringers. The cracks run in pretty much every direction and appear more like stress cracks than flexing due to weak or broken stringers. Anybody seen these before? With the beating these things take in even moderate chop, I wouldn't necessarily be surprised to see stress cracks on the bottom of the hull like this after 30 years of abuse.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 12:15pm
What Tim said, Any flat bottom boat in that much chop will ride crappy. The 2001 is CC's first decent rough water flat bottom boat. They get better as they go on to newer models.

Other brand flat bottoms are completely useless on anything other than glass water. 2001 is tolerable in chop if you keep the speed below 20.

They will also take the beating of rough water much much better than off brands.
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

If you think Sn's ride poorly in rough water, you've clearly never been in a similar MC, supreme, etc. SN's are hands down the best riding flat bottom tournament ski boats made (2001+).

Agreed. Our '87 American Skier Advance would knock your fillings loose in heavy chop. We took it up to Lake Winnipesaukee one year and could only go about 18mph max in afternoon traffic. 2001s were always much smoother and had better cushioning in the seats.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Your driving a flat bottom 30 odd years old tournament ski boat,one of the best of its day. When was the last time you saw a competition skier taking on 1 foot waves? They were not made for that anymore than a Donzi was made for tournament skiing. It is what it is..

Very well stated.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 4:43pm
Put trim tabs on it
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 4:50pm
These boats are like sports cars. Sports cars have stiff suspensions, we have generally flat bottom hulls. They were designed for ONE thing only, and that's to drive 32-36 mph through a course on glassy water. Anything else is what it is. I didn't buy a Ski Nautique to do 35 through huge waves and chop like my friends bayliner. However, he can barely pull up a combo skier let alone a slalom.
74SkiNautique
86ER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 3:14am
With all of this said, and being a long time Muscle Car owner, the 2001 is a rocket ship off the line and ton of fun to beat around the lake. Even though it fills the bill for wakeboarding at lower speeds, I also enjoy the solo 47MPH run around the lake near sunset when the lake is calm.

I also love to see the ear-to-ear smiles on the faces of my buddies when they drive this boat after having driven outdrives for 30 years. Truly classic!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 10:53am
Originally posted by 86ER 86ER wrote:

I also enjoy the solo 47MPH run around the lake near sunset when the lake is calm.

Hot laps! Lol

I'm sure the skiers trying to get the only bit of calm water love when you do this.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 11:10am
to each their own, These boats def aren't for everyone.
They are purpose built and do only but a few things perfect, a few things well and anything else you have the wrong tool for the job.
That being said its tough to beat the reliability and low maintenance of the 2001 hull driveline and other mechanicals.
You couldn't pay me to own an I/O, even if it only saw freshwater use. i dont care how good the ride is or isn't.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 11:45pm
Everyone gave great advice above, I will add from my experience each model Ski Nautique to come along has ridden better than the last. I have not ridden in each one but every one I rode in was better than the last model. If you need to ride in a 1 to 2 foot chop all of these are the wrong boat. Any deep V hull will ride smooth in that stuff while any flat bottom is going to beat you up.
Sometimes you can find a speed that skips over the wave tops and gets pretty smooth but you will take a beating trying to reach that speed and hold it.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2016 at 3:29pm
It's a lot smoother ride in the back seat......
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

merbesfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 1:37am
Found this post and I have some questions. I'm sure it will sound like I'm rambling, which I am. We just got back from the lake we were beat to sh*%#t today. Busy day on lake. I know next to nothing about these boats, just found good deal on my lake and bought it. I see all these fancy bigger newer and of course more expensive MC and SN hauling butt and slicing thru the wakes. We are getting killed. So why would someone own one of these? Seriously, not trying to sound like a jerk, I'm asking. My boat is very nice, but needs some love. Interior and likely stringers etc. When I see the amount of work that is required to rebuild the stringers coupled with the terrible ride, I just have to wonder, what am I missing. My boat is cool like an old hot rod is, but not sure that's enough. As I said, I'm clueless. My daughter is just starting to get into wake boarding and I have zero experience so help me out here. Newer boats are expensive, but not sure I can justify a restoration of a boat that in the end is still out of date or doesn't ride well. Maybe newer is better? Thanks for enlightening me. Mark
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 3:41am
The old boats are like old sports cars. They offer unique things you can't get anywhere else.   If you ski on a rough lake you bought the wrong boat. I only use the Nautique in smooth water to water ski. That is what I do and the boat is perfect. If the water is rough I don't wish to ski so the boat stays parked.   
There are many boats with deep V hulls that will cut rough water like butter.   A old Nautique will not do that but will pull a skier nearly as well as the most modern ski boats. A deep V can't do that.   Decide what you want and buy a boat that matches your needs.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 6:42am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

.   If you ski on a rough lake you bought the wrong boat. I only use the Nautique in smooth water to water ski. That is what I do and the boat is perfect. If the water is rough I don't wish to ski so the boat stays parked.   .

Mark,
As mentioned, it sounds like your choice of boats wasn't the best.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 8:36am
Labor Day weekend or any summer holiday weekend in ANY boat and you'll take a beating. As stated before, you bought a Competition Ski Boat it's for pulling skiers on calm water through a course and bottom line it's a Tractor on water. It's not for cruising, loading up with 6 of your friends or family and hanging out on the lake all day.

All that being said, I am talking about older Correct Crafts. Times have changed and so have the needs of the modern day boater and have for the last 15 years. More people spend all day ON the lake and want room for their gear, coolers, friends etc. Boats that will not be affected as much by busy lakes and monsoon waves.

I cruise Lanier in my 88' SN and 72 (16 ft) Mustang all summer. I know that in either boat I'm not going to get anywhere fast and I will be dodging 40 ft yachts and their wakes all day. I accept that and it's just part of the game. Yes I got to get out early or stay late to get decent water to ski on but I also have a group of fellow Slalom skiers (that are mostly Nautique owners) to hang with.

Nothing skis, pulls, or looks better than a Correct Craft in my opinion ( however NautiqueHunter has a couple Supra's that have awesome slalom wakes) and I will never own anything but a CC.
If you are wanting to cruise the lake on busy weekends, cut through chop and miniature tidal waves then something other than a 2001 model is what you're gonna need unless it's a Barefoot hull. An SAN or something larger is gonna be better suited for rough water but even then you won't be doing 30 + mph in rough seas. About 20-23mph is suitable in the 88' SN but it's still a rough ride. Even slower in the 72' Mustang.

Teaching someone how to ski, wakeboard or anything is gonna be practically impossible in rough water and especially on a busy Holiday weekend. Get out early or on at dusk when the water is calmer and you'll have better success. Good luck and be patient.
Many of us own these old boats because of the Coolness factor and because they're fun to play in/on/behind.....Well, when the water is glass!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 8:54am
Another way of putting it would be that Inboard ski boat and ride quality for the most part don't belong in the same sentence unless the word bad is in that sentence too

There's an exception or 2 out there, but the above is generally true of the 3 event ski boat..
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 9:15am
You can buy a working older I/O for the same $ as replacing stringers + interior.

I/Os have deep V keels by default.

If you just want to ride on a wakeboard (as opposed to doing air tricks) then this might be a better boat for you.

I know I am committing heresy here . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 9:37am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I know I am committing heresey here . . .

I think the only problem is you spelled it wrong, otherwise you're just telling him the way it is. Nothing wrong with that
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 10:14am
Fixed!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by 86ER 86ER wrote:

I also enjoy the solo 47MPH run around the lake near sunset when the lake is calm.

Hot laps! Lol

I'm sure the skiers trying to get the only bit of calm water love when you do this.

At 47 how little wake are ya makin?
audiodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 12:27pm
I own a 1989 2001, I love my boat. It is a great boat. I have also owned an outboard or two and an I/O(never again) even with these boats riding in 1-2 foot chop is not comfortable and can be just a rough as my 2001. If you have to cruise in rough water, as others have stated, you need a deep V hull but even so don't expect the drive through rough water to be all that smooth.
1989 Correct Craft 2001

In the words of Milton Berle: "You can lead a man to Congress but you can't make him think"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 1:08pm
This is all very helpful I appreciate it. Yes Labor Day we is crazy, normally our small lake is quite nice so not judging on one we. I'm learning here. I love the old stuff, I collect classic cars so believe me I appreciate ti classic 2001. It is cool no doubt. I bought it bc it was on the lake, easy, locally owed, classic and inexpensive. My question is derived from observations. On our lake you see all the old classic MC and SN. But you also see is all the new fancy "expensive" new boats. Usually pulling tubes, but hey it's their money. So my question was about what and how the 2001 are usd and why the effort to rebuild. Classic I get it, but not sure I get it enough for the effort to replace all the stringers floor upholstery etc. As I said I love callsics, but I also love being on the lake w my kids. The 2001 is a blast at full throttle by yourself. As I said, when you see all the newer, not just $100K boats, you have to ask the question. Now I don't want this to sound snobbish, but I understand if you don't have $100k to spend, I certainly don't, but there seem to be some older SN MC boats in the $30-40k range that are nice, but I don't know what or how they are different. So many different models etc. As someone above said, I should start with what do I want to do. Not sure I know honestly. My daughter wake boards. I will do nothing as my back won't allow it. So I guess we are talking about Wakeboad for my daughter and then tubing for all kids. Along w joy rides and cocktail cruises at sunset. So where does that put me? As mentioned above, I not interested in a $80-100k boat. Again, thanks for the help and education.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 1:10pm
PS sorry if I should have started my own thread. Didn't mean to take yours over. Hopefully in same conversation. Let me know and I will start a fresh one.
audiodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 1:40pm
the 2001 is a good wakeboard boat or so I have been told, I'm not a wakeboarder. If you want a boat that will do everything you will have to make some compromises.   The 2001 will pull a tube(I know, I know), ski, wakeboard, trick ski, but if you have a bunch of people for a sunset cruise and cocktails not so great.   For our party needs we will be buying a Pontoon or deck boat and use the 2001 for what it is meant to do.    
1989 Correct Craft 2001

In the words of Milton Berle: "You can lead a man to Congress but you can't make him think"
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 2:08pm
Another option for your boat that needs repairs, would be to sell it and buy another that is solid and does not need any repair or at least nearly no repairs.
From 1993 and newer all Nautiques have fiberglass stringers and these can never rot out.
A very nice upgrade from the old wood stringers. If Wakeboarding is your choice then you might look at the open bow boats.   I will remind you that once you drive a Ski Nautique all other boats don't measure up. A Nautique will turn and drive perfectly while other boats never seem to have the formula correct. Drive a few and you will see this is a fact. I had a Malibu Skier, looked great, actually had a slightly better ski wake than my Nautique but it turned terrible.   Turned pretty well with 1-3 people on board but if you had 5 people it was almost scarry to turn.   In the Nautiques you cant feel the difference 1 person or 6.   They are just better built boats.
BTW:   I am in to old cars also,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic