NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dual Batteries.....

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
George R. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dual Batteries.....
    Posted: July-15-2016 at 4:42pm
Would I be able to install a dual battery system on my single battery 1997 Ski Nautique? And if so, how difficult would it be?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2016 at 5:12pm
I installed dual batteries in my 78 Ski Nautique but not in my 1995.
In the 78 I measured the battery box for exact size top and bottom and side to side.
Then I looked at batteries at the store, today Walmart or any parts store has selections available out front where you can walk up and look at them and measure.
I found two that would fit side by side in my existing box, each had about 500 cold cranking amps. I don't know if the 97 has an ice chest in the floor like my 95 does but that could be used as a battery location if needed. I wired them in sequence so Ground to Ground and Pos to Pos..
In my case I wanted more Cold cranking Amps and got it this way.
Wired like this both batteries charge at the same time.
A better way would be to buy one of the battery isolators that are available so you could choose what battery to run on or charge with a dial switch. This way one would always be charged and ready to use for those times when you forget the stereo is blasting till the battery dies.
Hope this helps.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2016 at 5:22pm
Guessing you are looking for the second battery to support stereo while not underway, in that case you want to isolate them. Google Perko Battery Switch Installation Instructions, not overly complicated.

Closed bow should have plenty of room up under the bow for the second battery to be located.
George R. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2016 at 5:39pm
That's correct, it for a sound system and amplifier. I just don't want to be stranded in the middle of the lake with a dead battery after a day of enjoyment.

Thank you all for you input!!! I will look into a Perko.....

Thanks again!!!
areford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote areford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 12:34am
Hey George, if you want to get fancy, consider this system

I added to my 95 sport and then isolated my stereo over to the backup battery, lots of wiring involved but it really works awesome.

Blue sea add a battery
1993 Sport Nautique
- New Interior - Copycat Covers
- Ramlin Trailer overhaul
- Buff and polish oxidated gel coat
- Exhaust repair
- Holley rebuild
Previous: 1980 Mastercraft - Lake Lanier. GA
George R. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 12:37am
Thanks for the information.... Looks like something I may do.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic