NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electrical help?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Nwtique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nwtique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical help?
    Posted: July-17-2016 at 8:01pm
Ok, had an issue come up twice, 99 super sport, apex 5.7L. Boat fires up runs perfect when shutting it down to stop or listen to tunes it's like a breaker pops and no power to anything, period. Saw one of my cable terminal clamps was cracked so changing that out but is there a relay I should have on board as a spare? Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing. I can't get it to repeat once I get it fired up, it just happens inadvertently. Any ideas ? Thx John
99 Super Sport Nautique
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2016 at 8:24pm
Maybe check all your fuses?
74SkiNautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2016 at 8:41pm
Sure sounds like a bad connection at the battery post with the cable. When it happens again, get the VOM out and check if there's any power at the main battery cable at the engine. How are you cleaning your battery posts and cable terminals? A wire type battery terminal cleaner? Replace the bad cable terminal and I suggest not using the inexpensive clamp type repair terminals. Good cable compression fitting terminals are available.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nwtique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nwtique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2016 at 9:21pm
Thanks for the reply. Ok, so I took my OEM cables in and had them solder new ends on. Replaced battery this year, so posts are clean. Put everything back together and it all looks good. Hopefully it was just the clamp, seems weird as I could never really move the "cracked" clamp it was tight but for whatever reason it would just go completely dead.
I did check all fuses and connections, everything looks good as far as I can tell. Hope it was just the terminal....
99 Super Sport Nautique
Nwtique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nwtique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2016 at 3:01am
Ok, took both cables out, replaced both clamps and had them soldered on. Went to the Lake today and everything worked perfectly!
99 Super Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2016 at 6:29am
John,
It's great to hear your problem was solved. Thanks for reporting back and letting us know we were able to help.

Keep in mind that even a new battery and new cable terminals need cleaning. They need the layer or oxidation removed for the best conductivity. You can have the terminal tight on the battery post and still not have a good connection with the oxidation. If you don't have a battery terminal/post cleaner, I suggest getting one.

Happy boating.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic