Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mallory YLM554CV Distributor

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
yanivsai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanivsai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mallory YLM554CV Distributor
    Posted: June-22-2006 at 11:12am
I have just purchased the subject distributor. The gear does not match mechanically.
The direction of the teath are at 90 degrees compared to the older gear. Please advice:
1. Can the same distributor work with the opposite direction Gear?
2. If the answer to (1) is positive, can you specify the Cat. # of the needed gear?
3. If the answer to (1) is negative, how do you specify the required Distributor?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 11:19am
what yr engine, and type of drive/tranny do you have?

if the gears don't match up then it's not going to work unless you replace the gears ar you sure it's not a DV model?
yanivsai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanivsai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 11:26am
hey 79
the boat is sn 2001 1982.
the engine is ford 351w
Engine rotation: When I look at the engine from the front of the boat backwords, all belts move counterclockwise.
The distributor is clearly marked "CV".
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 11:32am
where are you located, can you take pictures of both, what was installed and the new one?

can you get a model number off of the old dist.

Do you have a 1:1 BW velvet drive and a RH prop? or do you have a 1.23:1 PCM with a RH prop.
yanivsai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanivsai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 12:51pm
No i'm not near the old one...
This is all the details i onced copied from the old dist'

D3JL-12100B
2   D    T
PRESTOLITE
IBM 7008AS R

i dont know what trans i have but the prop is RH for sure.

i just got summit on the phone and at first they said to replace the gear from the dist' shaft,to take what i have on my old one and to put it on the new, but i wasn't so sure about it and when we took second opinion from another technician the answer was DV isted of CV !!
79 that what you ment when you wrote DV?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 1:09pm
mallory marine

page 134
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 1:39pm
I don't think you have a 351W.

Was the prestolite distributor in the engine before? did it run with that distributor?

What I've been able to find is the prestolite 7008AS is a 351C or 460 application and won't work on a 351W engine.

The mallory unit is the correct unit for a 351W rev roation engine.

The question is do you have a 351W and is the prestolite distributor the orginal dist out of the engine?
yanivsai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanivsai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 2:35pm
So what your saying is to chang the gear like the one i have on my old dist' ?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 2:38pm
no, did the old dist come out of it and did it run with the old dist in it? personelly I think you have a 460 and not a 351 and that new distributor will not work.
yanivsai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanivsai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 2:48pm
forget the last answer - did not see yours...
How can i check what engin i have? ask ford ?
I gave CorrectCraft the VIN # of the boat and they said i have a 351w installed in it.but who knows what i have now....
thanks for your patiant man...your o.k.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 3:12pm
I did a search on the 7008AS number and it looks like it's a 460.

Look at the bolt pattern on the exhaust manifolds and see if they are centered side to side on the ports or centered top to bottom on the ports.

another way to look at is, are there two rows of bolts per side or is there one line of bolts per side.

two = 460
one = 351
yanivsai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanivsai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 3:42pm
thanks 79
Tomorrow i will check this

i have the PCMsvcmanual pdf and ther is adiagram on how to know what kind of engine you have by the model number and it looks like i have 351W,but now im thinking maybe one of the owners of this boat changed the engine and moved the metal part with the engine details...
This is the details i have on the angine

Pleasurecraft - v8 marine engine

Model - PRD-WR-R10

Serial - 22528

Engine no' - 2c449aa-d22-2d22h

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 3:52pm
look at the bolt pattern like I said that will tell you in a hart beat, whether it's a small block or big block.

The numbers really mean nothing to me and if the engine has been swaped then there meaningless as well.

You could measure the dist base's and see if they match up exactly, compare the dia's and length's, helix location of the gear, oil pump drive configuration on the end of the gear, if everything matches up then you should be able to swap gears and install.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2006 at 11:22am
Hi Yanivsai

Looking at the pictures in your other post, you most definitely have a 351W and you also have the wrong gear on the new Mallory distributor.

I most definitely have a Prestolite right in front of me that has the same 7008 AS number and it came out of a RH rotation 351W engine and has the same gear as your old distributor.

I'm not too familiar with Mallory stuff, but I do know that your gear is wrong for your engine's rotation.

We'll let 79 nautique tell you what to do about gears for the Mallory.

keno
yanivsai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanivsai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2006 at 12:51pm
hi keno
First, thanks for your help
What it means RH rotation ? i'm having truble to understand this.why the same engine will turn right or left ? and where,when its going out to the gear ?
When i asked about the rotation of the distributor i think it was 79 who told me it doese't metter...
Are you sure the engine in your case is RH ?
How do i see if my is RH o LH engine ?
yaniv
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2006 at 2:20pm
Hi Yanivsai

Earlier you said "Engine rotation: When I look at the engine from the front of the boat backwards, all belts turn counterclockwise"

This tells me you have a reverse rotating engine and you need a distributor with the gear cut the same way as your old one. What you have is a distributor for a normal rotation engine.

If you search the posts you'll find out lots of info about reverse rotation engines and what parts are different. What is directly affecting you right now is the camshaft and distributor.

All you need to do is swap distributors for one for a reverse rotating engine or get a new gear for the Mallory you already have.

Due to the cam gear cut and the distributor gear cut, no matter which rotation engine you look at, the distributor rotor rotates counterclockwise when looking from above.

It's confusing but what you need is the proper gear on your distributor and you'll be all set.

I have no idea if you can swap the Prestolite gear onto the Mallory shaft or not.

keno
yanivsai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanivsai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2006 at 3:39pm
hey keno
your the best.thanks
tjackle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2006 at 11:02pm
Model - PRD-WR-R10

The     "P" means it's a Pleasurcraft
The 1st"R" means it's Right Hand rotation
The     "D" means it's a 351
the     "W" means it's a Warner Drive
the 2nd"R" means it is a reverse drive
the 3rd"R" means it's a right hand prop
the    "10" means it's direct drive (1:1ratio)

Now the 351 has a 5/16 hex oil shaft. Make sure the one you get is for a 351. The 302 has a 1/4 oil shaft. In short, the 302 shaft slot is too small and won't work.

You've got the same motor I've got and I just replaced my distributor. It was a great learning experience...
78 Nautique

If you're going to do it...
Do it in a boat
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2006 at 12:11am
one of two things has happened, a problem with mallory's packaging, or you have a standard rotatation engine, From the other picture post it looks like a 351w engine, the helix's are opposite from the old to the new. So you may be able to swap gears if the shaft dia's match, mostly they do. The Second is to verify that mallory didn't make mistake. Can You take a picture of yout prop?
yanivsai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanivsai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2006 at 1:10am
hi 79
my prop is rh for sure
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2006 at 8:52am
double check the part number on the dist and make sure it matchs what was on the box. And I still would like to see a picture of the prop.
tjackle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2006 at 9:25am
If you look at the pics of his new and old Distributo gears, the new one is for a standard LH motor. His original is a RH. It does look like the gears are probably interchangable. I'm with you, I think he can swap them.

78 Nautique

If you're going to do it...
Do it in a boat
yanivsai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanivsai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2006 at 12:00pm
Ok 79
Picter of the prop i hope to get in a day or two.
I was thinking...keno said that all distributors turn ccw if you look at them from above.
So,my engine with the pretolite gear will turn any dist' the right way (ccw) so if i'll change the gears from the prestolite to the mallory it should work right ?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2006 at 1:05pm
Hi Y'all

I think there are a couple of other possibilities here for mistakes.

When I look up a YLU554CV on the Summit website it is for a normal rotation engine.

Meanwhile they list the YLU554DV as being for a reverse rotation engine with an opposite rotation helix.

They also list the YLM554CV(what yani has right now) for standard rotation and don't list a DV version of this at all.

And then 79 nautique has a YLU554CV, maybe it's a CV with a reverse gear installed on it to make it work right. Maybe it came that way from Summit when he told them what he needed.
Maybe you should verify it says CV on it and not DV.

There are others here who agree that the old one is for a rev rotation engine and the new one is for std rotation

Somebody is wrong here, beats the snot outta me who is, but it's obvious that yani needs the gear for the other direction.

keno
yanivsai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanivsai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2006 at 9:29pm
hi all
I was talking to summit 3 days ago and i told them that the ylm554cv is not the right part for me and while i hold ,they talked to a technician and came back with the answer i can chang the gears between the distributors.
I asked him for second a opinion and he talked to another technician and came back with the answer that this technician had an old mallory book and what i need is not the CV but a DV wich they dont have. (i see now that they have the ylu554DV,but with no pic)
so what i need is someone who have a ylu\ylm554DV to send me a picter of the gear so i can be sure that this is what i need befor i buy and spend another 100$ to send it overseas...
thanks
yaniv
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 10:59am
you guy's don't know what your talking about and obviously you didn't look at the mallory marine link I posted where it clearly states what model is what and I didn't swap gears on mine. Since Keno seems to have all the answers figure out the bullsh*t on your own.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 11:05am
Did you buy the Mallory dist new or is it a used item you got from someone? the cap doesn't look new and looks pretty old and faded.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 1:48pm
If you look at the picture summit has of the YLU-554-CV model the gear is like the one on your old dist. And if you look in mallory marine's catolog they list the ylm-554-cv as a RH. So I don't know where you got your dist or if someone has modifiyed it or not. I know what is in mine YLU-554-CV and it was installed without any modifications and works fine, I have talked directly with mallory " the manufacturer " and their catolog supports what I have stated reguarding the correct model and application. So do what you want, something is wrong and it's not my information that is wrong.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 2:15pm
Hey 79

I'm trying to play nice here, so you do the same and look and listen to what I'm saying.

I ain't trying to start any pissing contests(I have seen your picture in Tim D's post though)and your replies.

Unless I'm totally screwed up here the picture of the YLU554CV in the Summit catalog has teeth that go like this /////. There is no picture of the DV(we probably both agree on that)

The teeth in Yaniv's picture of his old distributor go like this \\\\\. His new distributor goes like this/////.

This doesn't look the same to me

And we probably both agree that Yanic needs some help over there in Israel so let's get this hammered out.

If I knew what I was doing with the computer, I could probably get both of those pictures in this post but I don't

Later keno
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 2:22pm
I agree with your statements regarding the helix angle, and the picture posted in summit for the CV version the gear matches what he pulled out, but the new one he has doesn't match the picture listed in summit for the CV version. My point is the model number I gave is right, what is in question is where did he get the dist and if there was a packaging error if it was brand new from summit. If it was from summit then I whould be asking why the picture they have posted doesn't match what they sent Yanic. Worse come to worse he should be able to remove the gear off his old unit and install it on the new unit and be good to go.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic