NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Flush?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
88skisupreme View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Flush?
    Posted: June-22-2006 at 12:00pm
I searched some old posts about changing tranny fluid, I got a little water in my Velvet Drive 1/1. Gonna change the fluid but some mentioned flushing it. How does that work and what do I need to flush it?
thanks
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 12:05pm
Easiest method would be to suck/pump out the fluid best you can. Fill with fresh fluid. Start engine and put in forward and reverse gear a few times. Repeat Process three times or more.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 12:17pm
So Flushing is just filling it with fluid and then changing out again right away? I was gonna change it at least twice to make sure.

Its a new transmission, I was just stupid and left the plug in before a bad storm and got water in the bilge.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 12:21pm
change it untill you don't see any water in the fluid you have removed, but you must circulate it in the tranny between each time.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 12:44pm
ok thanks
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 12:55pm
Everyone needs one of these.
Tim D
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2006 at 10:34am
I think you are right. Where to find?
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2006 at 3:59pm
NAPA, about $12 or $15 I think.
Tim D
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2006 at 5:07pm
just found one a auto zone for $8.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2006 at 9:21pm
Just to be clear, you won't see the water in the fluid. It'll look like Pepto Bismol. Make sure you run it between changes. Change it until it looks normal. Spend a day on the lake, then change it again.
The suction thing works great.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2006 at 12:34pm
Flushed a couple times, ran it a bit, still has some water in it. Back to flushing. Lesson learned ALWAYS pull your plug.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2006 at 12:50pm
Do you think your trans cooler is leaking water?
Tim D
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2006 at 11:25am
I don't think its to cooler. I flushed it again and ran it with no problems. There was still a small amout of the pink/white foam at the top of the dipstick so I think there might still be a very small amount of water in there. However the fluid is still dark red and clean unlike the pink crap I removed the first couple flushes.

Also just changed the coil to eliminate a hesitation problem (thanks to searhing old posts for info) and I've recently buffed the hull and oiled the teak. So the boat is rockin' right now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic