Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new interior...how difficult a DIY project?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new interior...how difficult a DIY project?
    Posted: July-26-2016 at 1:14pm
Anyone out there tried to DIY upholstery?
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 4:40pm
High quality skins can be purchased from Christine's marine... I did my observer seat (bottom) myself, not bad took maybe 1.5 hours and looks factory. That being said, it looks to be one of the easier seats to recover and my foam was still good. maybe now that I developed a method I could do the other pieces a bit quicker but I would estimate it would take about 12-15 hours to do the entire boat. start to finish (on a 99 closed bow sn)... the drivers seat looks like it could be a bit tricky.

If you were talking about buying rolls of vinyl and making yourself... I can't help you there...
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 5:02pm
Last winter I sewed the rear seat bottom & the doghouse skin from scratch.

DIY skins

It costs me about 1/3 of Christine's price for the raw materials. I was lucky to have a friend who loaned me a commercial grade upholstery sewing machine with walking foot. No way you can use a home singer (JMO of course).

I spent est. 30 hours on it.   Looks better than worn out skins but not going to fool anybody that they aren't homemade.

If you DIY, get Nautilex Capitino vinyl, it is the closest match (at least for my '89).

Good luck.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 6:05pm
Don't know how I missed that Chris. Great job!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 8:56pm
Same here Gary

Chris, you are a man of many talents. Has the wife now added to your list of jobs around the house
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 11:01pm
My front seats are in good condition, I am going to order the skins for the rear bench seat in my 93 nautique from Christines, the turns/angles look gentle, so that seat should be pretty straight forward. I may do the side padded walls to, as they look pretty easy as well.

Dan
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Last winter I sewed the rear seat bottom & the doghouse skin from scratch.
DIY skins

I spent est. 30 hours on it.   Looks better than worn out skins but not going to fool anybody that they aren't homemade..

Well you got plenty of compliments on the finished job

Looks great in the pictures

I'd rather try your route and save some money.

Maybe one day
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 12:54pm
My wife and I have done a fair share of sewing (I make a lot of cornhole bags, she makes a lot of baby clothes). I can, without doubt, say that a home sewing machine will not perform well, especially the new plastic ones. The mechanisms are not going to be strong enough to get through all the vinyl. When we had our skins done by a shop, the vinyl materials for the entire boat came in around $700 (foam was still decent) and the labor was about $1500. But he did EVERYTHING. I didn't price Christine's so I don't know what it would have cost that route.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 12:34am
That was a great job Chris but this homey don't do sewing so I just worked a little OT and let Christine's do the sewing. I did do the stapling though.
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 9:20pm
Hi For those that want to try to sew their own skins and need a sewing machine. Go and find a 1950's vintage Singer Sewing machine. You can pick them up for around 50=75 dollars. These old machines will actually sew up to one inch of leather stacked up. They will not be as fast as a commercial machine but nearly as tuff. Do not waste your time on a 1970's or newer machine too much plastic and belts will not take the stress. Hope this helps someone looking to sew a set of skins.

Frank
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic