Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM 350 Cracked Block

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lucenut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucenut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM 350 Cracked Block
    Posted: July-27-2016 at 6:22pm
So I normally run 6 gallons of RV antifreeze through my PCM 350 engine before winter and it's fine. This year I only had 2 gallons. That's not enough.

I charged up the battery and backed it into the water and it started right up and after 2 or 3 minutes was idling nice. Then I noticed the water pissing out the side of the block. I talked to some friends who are welders and they said they could weld it up for me. A week later I went in to remove the strainer basket and a couple of spark plugs to prep it for welding and noticed the bilge full of milky oil. Which leads me to believe that it's not just a crack in the exterior water jacket part of the block, but something internal. The dipstick looks kinda milky also.

It's a very old boat that I paid $3K for 12 years ago (put about $2K into the interior/floor). So I don't want to sink a lot of money into it. I am trying to find a used marine engine. Have seen a couple on Craigslist for $1K-$1200 but they sold quickly. I have a guy that would rebuild something for me, but I have too many questions.

First of all if you use a 4 bolt street block, it is designed to rotate opposite direction right? My prop spins RH. If a guy were to take a street or even a marine block and rebuild it with my carb and the other bolt-ons, would simply using my RH cam and distributor make it run RH?

Could I take a running used GM 350 and just swap out my bolt-ons like water pump, alternator, carb and then just change the cam and distributor?

What about the transmission end? Will any block just bolt up to the transmission?

Any/all advice would be appreciated.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 11:57pm
Not sure about Chevys but I would guess it's similar to a ford in the way the the block isn't rotation based. In other words if you took the guts out of your block they would work in a automotive block (lefty) block barring any damage to the bearings and other parts since it had water in it.
I don't know about the 4 bolt thing though.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 12:12am
You would have to strip everything. Replace the crank with your rev rot crank, and go from there. The rods, pistons, are going to be the same but the cranks oil seal journal is different and the oil passagways were clearanced and polished opposite of regular rotation. The bearing and seals are the same but if theu were run in one direction not good to install them opposite.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 6:52am
Originally posted by lucenut lucenut wrote:

So I normally run 6 gallons of RV antifreeze through my PCM 350 engine before winter and it's fine. This year I only had 2 gallons. That's not enough.

Any/all advice would be appreciated.

Greg,
1 gallon is enough if you drain first!! No anti is enough if you drain first!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 7:22am
A block is a block. 2 bolt vrs. 4 bolt does not matter. 2 bolt is plenty strong for your purpose and cheaper. If your buddy is reasonable then I would get a block and let him swap out the rotatable assy. If you number your lifters then you can reuse them also. That would give you a fresh engine for many hours to come. Minimal $$ and you will be ready to go. Several of us have spare blocks on hand but when you guys list your location as "US" then it's a guess as to ship or pickup. Good luck and keep us posted.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 8:31am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

when you guys list your location as "US" then it's a guess as to ship or pickup.

Duane,
Considering the cracked block, I'd say we could narrow the location down to about 40% of the states!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 9:30am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Duane,Considering the cracked block, I'd say we could narrow the location down to about 40% of the states!!

So true Pete. These guys make it hard to help them though.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
lucenut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucenut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 3:44pm
Sorry, I'm in La Crosse Wisconsin. Thanks for the advice so far. Trying to locate a block. I had a line on a marine block, but missed out on it.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by lucenut lucenut wrote:

Could I take a running used GM 350 and just swap out my bolt-ons like water pump, alternator, carb and then just change the cam and distributor?

No so simple, piston pins are offset on the chevy, so pistons would have to be turned 180 degrees else you will hear lots of piston slap. May require pushing the wrist pins, and may not be as simple as swapping banks with pairs of rods.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic