NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1978 aluminum fuel tank

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KTempleton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTempleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1978 aluminum fuel tank
    Posted: July-28-2016 at 12:06am
Have a stock Aluminum fuel tank from 1979. It's been sitting about 5 years. putting on finishing touches to get back in water and a buddy has managed to give me enough of a scare. Any special attention I should give or do to this thing. Was talking with a buddy and he seems to be convinced a fuel cell 38 year aluminum cell isn't safe.

Thoughts or Ideas?
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 1:19am
Pretty sure alot are running around today just fine
This is the life
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 6:44am
Kyle,
I'd replace the buddy before the tank! Seriously, I suggest he reads up on the USCG approved acceptable materials for fuel tanks. What's his concern and what's his experience in the marine field?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KTempleton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTempleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 8:33pm
He has a few charter fishing boats that he works on. 30-70 footers and in salt. Also asked a local marine shop if they have a way to pressure test tanks. They gave me the same thoughts with worries about pin holes in something that old. But I know it's there living to do and sell that type of work.

I assumed running it and seeing if any issues was a good way. Worst case, put a new tank in. But it's not something I want to worry about in the back of my head. So I figured I would run it by guys who may be a little more honest and have more experience with this type of application
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by KTempleton KTempleton wrote:

He has a few charter fishing boats that he works on. 30-70 footers

So the bottom line is he doesn't know the USCG regs!    

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic