NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

78 351 commander with a miss below 1500 rpm

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 78 351 commander with a miss below 1500 rpm
    Posted: July-29-2016 at 12:12am
Hooked up the hose to the 78 ski and it started but ran really rough. New plugs, wires and such. Started it again and still missing....throttled up to about 1500 rpm and she took off like a jet....smooth as silk. Any ideas on why it runs rough on the bottom end?
LeftFieldEngineering View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2016 at 7:47am
Triple check firing order
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2016 at 10:43am
Number 1 cyl has spark upon startup. then disappears until 1500 or so which is causing the rough running. After getting it to stumble thru to about 1500 spark reappears and it runs fine. I thought he said he changed the cap but didn't. Could this be the issue? previous owner swapped points and condenser for some type of igniter system so I cant adjust any of that stuff.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2016 at 10:53am
Bill,
In current thread, yet another EI conversion is in question!
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Dump the EI conversion and put the point set back in!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2016 at 12:27pm
I suggested that as well and not suprised by your advice.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 12:56am
Pete was correct again! Changed the EI back to points and away we went. Runs like it did for 35 years of its life!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 12:58am
Aside for the screw that holds the point set in and being corroded and not allowing good connectivity, and no spark, it was easy and successful.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 6:51am
Bill,
It's great you saved that point plate!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 8:46am
Pete. The kit that the prior owner put in used the original plate and lobe mechanism. I do understand the desire to go electronic with these simple kits bit apparently they are not quite ready for prime time. (Pun intended)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 9:00am
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Pete. I do understand the desire to go electronic with these simple kits bit apparently they are not quite ready for prime time. (Pun intended)

Bill,
I have a feeling many of the conversions are done because the person hasn't looked at one of these! Then, I feel the other reason is the person feels they will get better performance. Starting? Maybe?   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic