Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cheap Lake Living In NH?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap Lake Living In NH?
    Posted: July-30-2016 at 2:31pm
After our annual trip to New England for the wife's family reunion she always kicks around the idea of moving there.

Typically we go to the Cape or South Shore. Nice places but not affordable or somewhere I would want to live.

This year they rented a place on Lake Winnipesaukee, NH. Loved it up there. Lake was fantastic and the area was great. Brother-in-Law lives about 30 miles away. He was trying to sell us on the area, affordability, good schools etc. Her folks and sisters are 2 hours away.

Wife sends me a link to this place this morning.

http://nhlakesrealty.idxbroker.com/idx/details/listing/a027/4501916/4-Prospect-Hl

House:

View:

Shop:

On 1.5 acres for $338k. Place would be double that here. I work from home and Mrs. Poorhouse is a nurse. There is a good hospital in the neighboring town.
Nurses make more there than they do here.

Well played Mrs. Poorhouse. Now I'm considering moving. :facepalm:
Sold - 1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
Current - 1996 - MC Prostar 205
I keep doing this wrong.
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2016 at 3:39pm
Nice! Little too far north for this GA boy. I especially like the shop.
'92 Sport Nautique
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2016 at 5:00pm
Look closely at property tax .From what I've heard they are really high. I love cruising the shore up there checking out the old boats.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2016 at 5:30pm
Good point, no income tax but horrendous property taxes.

This location isn't bad. There are so many $1mil + lake homes to boost revenue the tax rate is lower.
I keep doing this wrong.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 6:14pm
Lake Winnipesaukee   is a true jewel in my opinion. the is boating access and docks for a number of villages and numerous restaurants is great. . the northeast corner can have some lily pad water and doesnt attract me as much as the remainder of the lake. I would be looking in a reverse J from center harbor to the north down the whole west shore to alton bay and north to the wolfeboro area. from those areas Laconia /concord are commutable. and shopper friendly. skiing in the mountains are pretty accessible from either the east side or west side. Don't forget the view tax in NH . there are quite a few water access neighborhoods ,some with decent beaches most have been oversold. if you buy off the water which i understand you are looking at there are some good options for marinas, some of which have pretty good purchase docks. Good luck . if i didnt have my kids settled in my area i would move to the Merideth area in a heartbeat.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 7:58pm
This is something that would be very doable for us.
Our son is 6 now so just getting started in school.
I work from home and Mrs. Poorhouse is a nurse and can work about anywhere.
Our current lifestyle of summer boating and winter snow skiing would transfer well there. The snow skiing wouldn't be as good but we could live much closer to the water.

There is no way we could pull a move off this year. She sent that as a bit of a joke with the sellers emphasis on the home being set up for a car collector and the great shop. I have a nice shop now that houses our boat and a couple fun cars. We've talked in the past about how hard it would be to move from our current home because of the shop.

This really has our gears turning. The thought that we could have a comparable home and lifestyle to what we have now with a great lake view and access for much cheaper is very enticing.
I keep doing this wrong.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 8:11pm
we have great icy conditions here.. I know that sounds odd but it is challenging= fun
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 8:30pm
I've skied back there 4 or 5 times. With my MT skies I found east coast firm conditions about unskiable.
My skies are totally wrong for those conditions, rockered powder skies. I ski them every day out here.

I think with the right skies I could have fun back there.

I keep doing this wrong.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 12:36pm
That looks like a really nice spot. As a Boston resident, moving just a little bit North to NH seems like a dream. Unfortunately, my wife's and my job are not very portable.

It's extremely hard to get into Boston, from outside of it, during commuting hours because or our horrendous traffic. Not an issue in NH itself, but in metro Boston.

Fixed link to the listing:
http://nhlakesrealty.idxbroker.com/idx/details/listing/a027/4501916/4-Prospect-Hl
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Poorhouse Poorhouse wrote:

Good point, no income tax but horrendous property taxes.

If I read that correctly property tax was $3,333.00, here in illinois that would be a gift.

That home on my lake would be $20-25k annual taxes, off the lake about $15k, and we pay state income tax and 7% sales tax on about everything. Cannot wait till I can make my move out of here!!
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 2:51pm
Leave Montana for the east are you sniffing glue!!!!
I would give my left nut to live in Montana, Wyoming or Idaho but my wife make's a bunch more money than I do and this is where her work is
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

That home on my lake would be $20-25k annual taxes, off the lake about $15k, and we pay state income tax and 7% sales tax on about everything. Cannot wait till I can make my move out of here!!

Chris,
Come on up!! 200' frontage and I'm at 2500.00 I'm sure that will go up slightly due to the house reconstruction and addition but I don't think by much. After the shop build, they went up 200.00 The only problem you would have is the commute downtown!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
seado guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seado guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 1:09am
Nice looking home.. Anyone would want to jump at the offer, really great. real sneaky move from your wife lol,
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by seado guy seado guy wrote:

Nice looking home.. Anyone would want to jump at the offer, really great. real sneaky move from your wife lol,

Hope that was your wife putting in the offer--- it shows pending. Weird-- it sold a year ago for $100k less. How is that? Hope they put some nice improvements in within the last year!

Looks awesome, too far north!

Tryathlete
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic