NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

my Timmy T

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my Timmy T
    Posted: August-02-2016 at 1:28am
Got my Timmy T made today. I could NOT however find a hose valve fitting with a male end on the capped end...so I have a valve that has the female hose end attachment, and then the male end of the hose will screw into it. I just bought a male plug to screw into it, rather than a screw on cap.

'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 10:00am
You have it right, female side of the valve goes out. The end of a normal garden hose will be male. Plug is optional, I normally don't bother- closing the valve is sufficient. Looks good!
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 11:38am
cool. So my water strainer sits down low towards the bilge, and then the water hose runs UP from the strainer to the engine. so should I install my "T" after the water strainer, up at the highest point before entering the engine??

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 12:13pm
Highest point should be most accessible and also help prime the rwp... So yes, that's where I'd put it.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 12:16pm
If that valve came from China I would install a cap on the hose end when its not being used. Hate to overheat an engine because a cheap valve failed. Personally, I wouldn't install something like this in line with my cooling system.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 12:19pm
Yes! san the plug
Certain NPT pipe and Garden hose are the same thread type
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 12:33pm
desertskier.....it's very hard to see in the photo, but there is a PLUG screwed into the hose connection end of the valve...so YES, it will have the valve closed AND a plug inserted in the hose end, when not in use.

desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 12:38pm
Funny. Pretty hard to see on that countertop. But I still wouldn't install it. I can count the times on one hand that I have run my boat on the hose in the last 20 years. Unless you have done some engine work there is really no reason to run your boat on the hose.
Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 10:27am
With a 45-60 minute trip to get to the closest lake, I fire up the motor before leaving as part of my pre departure checklist so I know that the day at the lake will go well.
1989 2001 SN / Prior 1978 Cobalt 18
nhhandyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nhhandyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 12:21pm
Is that 1" fittings?
It will save me a trip home (and onto the boat) to verify.
Thanks
WinterTurtle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WinterTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 3:38pm
I have a 79' 351 which is 1" and I believe every discussion I've seen on here calls that out as well.
1979 Southwind 18 351w

Not Running - All Potential!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WinterTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 3:43pm
I also spent a while Sunday shopping for parts for my setup -- The best place I found to get the dual barb + 3/4" NPTF was Amazon -- it's Spears part number 1402-131 at $5.64 for prime.
1979 Southwind 18 351w

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 3:45pm
Home Depot usually carries the 1” tee for ~$2.

Whether you need a 1” vs 1.25” depends on the marinization and the engine size. Pcm Fords used 1” but Pcm chevies used 1.25” and many other fords did as well. Not enough info provided to answer your question.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nhhandyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 3:50pm
Thanks everyone - I'll head to the boat ('97 SN) before buying anything.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by WinterTurtle WinterTurtle wrote:

I also spent a while Sunday shopping for parts for my setup -- The best place I found to get the dual barb + 3/4" NPTF was Amazon -- it's Spears part number 1402-131 at $5.64 for prime.

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Home Depot usually carries the 1” tee for ~$2..

Grayson,
I see there's a HD in Summerfield and two HD's in Greensboro. You will find the tee where the irrigation/sprinkler fittings are.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WinterTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 11:10am
I've failed at finding it in HD's website is seems

The one I ordered from Amazon had already shipped / couldn't cancel but I had hoped to post a link to the part they carry for the next guy.

Between spec'ing an oil pressure sender and trying to find 3" exhaust hose locally I am realizing that boat parts are much more difficult to manage than automotive.
1979 Southwind 18 351w

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 11:30am
I have 3 HD's within 6 miles of the house,I have never found the T at any one of them. Ace is the only place that had them.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 11:42am
All the ones near me hide those tees over by the black pipe. Lowes carry them too (sorry Pete).
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I have 3 HD's within 6 miles of the house,

The north or south house?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 11:53am
North. Down here the closest is 25 miles but I don't speak the language,the other is 50 miles further down which is a really nice one but that's a major trip.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WinterTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 12:15pm
When Pete said they're irrigation fittings I got a lot more results that were close -- makes sense as I can't think of any other conventional volume demand.
In the Home Despot inventory it looked like the 1/2 and 3/4 versions were in stock but I didn't even find an entry for the PCM special.
1979 Southwind 18 351w

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nhhandyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 12:21pm
I have never had any luck with Home Depot's online 'store'.
Finding it around the lawn irrigation products makes more sense because in normal plumbing situation you're not using black plastic hoses.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 1:01pm
The HD search on the web site can be frustrating. I even struggle with it at work sometimes. I find it about equal to the CCfan search!    With any search, different key words result in different results. I just went on HD's site and couldn't find the tee or for that matter any barb irrigation hose fittings but I know the Rhinelander store carries 100's of them. I punch in tomorrow and will make a point of looking. Also, every store doesn't carry the same inventory. I feel the other problem is many of these web sites are being created by IT types that don't know what they are looking at!!

EDIT: I just went to Ace's web site and came up with zero there too!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 1:48pm
Not all Ace's have them either Pete,just certain ones,the ones where people work with their hands. I got them in the McHenry store,I would guess that the Round Lake one would have them too.
The HD corrugated pond pump hose is the same as the bilge pump hose in my '95 too,at a more realistic price.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 7:18pm
As promised, I did some shopping today in the plumbing dept. before it got too crazy with customers.

Here are the "Timmy Tee" components available at the HD. If your local store doesn't stock them, all are available on line at the HD website.

The actual tee is SKU: 1002-245-987 This is 1" barb x 1/2" FPT

Here's the garden hose adaptor. SKU: 0000-865-599 It's 1/2" MPT x 3/4" FGHT

Finally the hose valve. SKU: 0000-442-559 3/4" MGHT x 3/4" FGHT swivel

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 11:03pm
I put mine on last year. Local Lowes had all parts in stock. Really nice to have.
I test mine before the trip to the lake also. When we go many times the boat is loaded with all our camping gear and the last thing I want is an engine that won't start while the boat is so loaded I can't open the engine cover. Tim it is a nice addition that works very well. If there is a downside, none of us has found it yet!
I added the Female fitting that allows quick coupling with my hose fitting and I have a brass plug to fill that hole when not in use.
I think this is the deluxe version, maybe $20. in total parts!
Thanks again for your invention. Build a couple kits and sell them under the Timmy T brand name.

Mark

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nhhandyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2018 at 8:39pm
In the picture the t is placed Upstream of the strainer unit. Wouldn't it be better to be on the other side of the strainer?

I realize there is not much room there between the elbow coming off the strainer and the inlet to the hull. Perhaps getting at it when it was in that location would be impossible without taking the dog house off
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2018 at 8:49pm
Before/after the strainer doesn’t matter
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2018 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Before/after the strainer doesn’t matter

Yep, especially if you're connected to a household water hose - presumably, if it's clean enough to drink it should be clean enough to run through your engine.
The strainer is there to filter out particles that can come from the pick-up, presumably not so clean.   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2018 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

if it's clean enough to drink it should be clean enough to run through your engine.
The strainer is there to filter out particles that can come from the pick-up, presumably not so clean.   

Joe,
Here's Brian's water he gets in Me/N.H.:

I'd run it through the strainer too!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic