Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

flush kit, Timmy "T", what am I doing wrong?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: flush kit, Timmy "T", what am I doing wrong?
    Posted: August-06-2016 at 9:00pm
The photo of a DIY flush kit, timmy "T" I guess, on a previous thread in 2010 titled something like "milky crankcase oil", showed parts that didn't work for me and my '94 and '95 Nautiques.

1. The connector to go from the grey plastic"T" with two barbs and a 3/4" pipe thread to 3/4" garden hose is a LFA-679 and not a LFA-677.

2. When I turn the hose on all of the water runs out of the water pick-up on the bottom of the boat even when the engine is running, i.e. the suction pump does not suck the water into the cooling system, which a previous replier to the the thread said it would, unless I'm doing something wrong. I'm going to have to install a valve between the raw water strainer and the timmy "T" to prevent the water from running our the of the bottom of the boat. This hardly seems possible to me. You'd think the suction from the pump would pull the water in the line right into the engine.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2016 at 9:25pm
Post a pic of your set up. Good chance nothing is wrong. Is the rwp priming? Are you getting good water flow out of the exhaust?
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2016 at 9:56pm
I will have to figure out how to post a photo but for now I'll let you know my set-up is simply a grey plastic "T" in the line between the raw water strainer and the oil cooler with a fitting coming out of the center of the "T" with a valved garden hose coupler. All of the water runs out of the water intake in the bottom of the boat whether the engine is running or not. No water is getting to the engine or the exhaust manifolds. If you have to do something special to prime the pump this type of a timmy "T" would be more trouble than it's worth. Placing a valve between the timmy "T" and the water strainer would do the trick.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2016 at 10:16pm
You will get water out of the intake,the engine will take what it needs to cool. The nice thing about that is is you cannot over pressurize the system,some house systems can be at 60 lbs.
You need to post a pic of yours,all PCM systems have a low spot in the intake hose usually between the trans cooler and the raw water pump where the water stays in when not running,it helps prime the pump. Maybe yours has been changed and all the water drains out when not running?
Here's my system-
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2016 at 10:18pm
Bob,
You are the very first person out of dozens who have installed the "Timmy T" who claims the system doesn't work. I highly suspect you did some thing wrong!! Post a picture of your install. Also, did you read the comments in this previous thread where you first questioned it's function?

Originally posted by 1xsculler 1xsculler wrote:

Placing a valve between the timmy "T" and the water strainer would do the trick.

Do you want to redesign a system that works?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2016 at 1:58am

Photos of my non-functional timmy "T". Maybe I need to wait longer for water to come out of my exhaust but it seemed like the same volume of water was coming out of the pick-up port in the bottom of the boat whether the engine was running or not and I didn't want to risk damaging the impeller.
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2016 at 2:02am
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2016 at 6:44am
Bob,
It looks like you installed the T correctly.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2016 at 9:26am
Try moving it to the end of the striped host as close to strainer as possible. Just keep it before the trans cooler.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2016 at 9:46am
Isn't the T already close to the trans cooler??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2016 at 9:48am
That location looks fine. Run the hose or 5-10sec before starting the engine to prime the rwp. If the block has been drained, it may take a minute for water to flow out the exhaust. Ignore the water coming out of the intake grate, it is inconsequential. Keep a hand on the back of the rwp... If it's heating up, it's running dry. If it's cool, all is well. If you still have troubles then I suspect your rwp and/or impeller need to be serviced.
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2016 at 2:21pm
Thanks for all of your comments and I expect water is going to the engine when it's running as it seems it would have to. I'll put my hand on the back of the rwp and feel for heat while I wait for water to come out of the exhaust and I'll post the results later today.
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2016 at 6:43pm
As I should have expected, you guys were absolutely correct and my timmy "T" works just like it should. I guess I was a little impatient.
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 6:15pm
One limitation of the "Timmy T" is that a hose connected to it when the boat is out of the water won't suck my 50:50 antifreeze/water mix out of the six gallon bucket I use when I winterize the block. I either have to install a valve in the hose from the strainer to my "T" or I will have go back to disconnecting the hose at the strainer outlet and connecting a short section of garden hose with the other end in the bucket..
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 6:22pm
[QUOTE=1xsculler] One limitation of the "Timmy T" is that a hose connected to it when the boat is out of the water won't suck my 50:50 antifreeze/water mix out of the six gallon bucket I use when I winterize the block. [QUOTE]
Drain and pour per the manual. Why are you sucking? 50/50? Aren't you using RV antifreeze?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 6:34pm
That is definitely not the intended purpose of the tee.

I don't recommend sucking in a/f. Drain and pour.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 7:17pm

One limitation of the "Timmy T" is that a hose connected to it when the boat is out of the water won't suck my 50:50 antifreeze/water mix out of the six gallon bucket I use when I winterize the block. I either have to install a valve in the hose from the strainer to my "T" or I will have go back to disconnecting the hose at the strainer outlet and connecting a short section of garden hose with the other end in the bucket..

If you think logically about it, why would you expect that to work since you have basically a giant suction leak that the pump can't overcome. It's about a 1 inch or so opening.

Now if you use it the way it was meant to be with a hose supplying pressure and volume it works just fine like Tim said
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 8:46pm
Bob,
Layup procedure starts on page 37. Then on page 38 there's a picture that to me, sure looks like a guy with a funnel pouring anti into a hose!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Bob,
Layup procedure starts on page 37. Then on page 38 there's a picture that to me, sure looks like a guy with a funnel pouring anti into a hose!!!

So Pete..............you send him to instructions that tell him to pour in a 50% solution of anti freeze such as Zerex or Prestone after you just finished telling him to use the pink RV stuff,
make up your mind will ya
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

So Pete..............you send him to instructions that tell him to pour in a 50% solution of anti freeze such as Zerex or Prestone after you just finished telling him to use the pink RV stuff,
make up your mind will ya

Ken,
Bob can use any antifreeze he wants. The picture was intended to show the pour method as recommended by PCM.   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 10:28pm
Just the normal friendly jab Pete
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 11:18pm
I don't have the operator's manual. Which hose do you pour the 50:50 antifreeze mix into?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2016 at 2:35am
Pick any one
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2016 at 7:03am

I don't have the operator's manual. Which hose do you pour the 50:50 antifreeze mix into?

Bob,
I figured you may not that's why I provided the link to the one in the sites reference section. Lot's of great stuff in that section! So, how did you get the idea of trying to suck for winterizing? Have you at least been draining first? Hopefully you have. Some do suck the antifreeze and some have had problems primarily due to not draining first. Not draining and using RV antifreeze is a big problem since it's not meant to be diluted. BTW, draining only is still an option as well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 11:34am
The suck up method is fine as long as you drain first, it requires a couple extra gallons of a/f however.
Pete, when u say pink stuff, the -50 degree stuff is typically ethanol based and there is the propylene based stuff for a few bucks more, usually labeled -75 degree. Any concerns about using the ethanol stuff for the hoses, block, etc?
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 11:46am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Why are you sucking?

Classic
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 1:32pm
Chris,
I'd spend the few extra and shy away from the ethanol based. I have personal experience with soft hoses that needed to be replaced.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 8:45pm
The last few years I have drained, filled with cheap pink stuff, then drain that.

Then you don't have to worry about chemical reactions.

The Starboard bank (plug uphill) does seem to retain water, as the AF is a lot less pink when it drains out.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 7:45pm
For the last twenty-two years I've winterized my 351W in my SN by disconnecting the water line at the transmission cooler side of the raw water strainer, connecting a 3' section of garden hose to the water line, placing the open end of the garden hose in a 6 gallon bucket filled with 3 gallons of antifreeze and 3 gallons of water and running the engine, after it is warmed up so the thermostat is open, until all of the antifreeze/water mixture is sucked out of the bucket and then shutting it down immediately..

Is there any problem with this method.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 9:17pm

Is there any problem with this method.

Yes, you didn't drain first so how do you know you have the freeze protection in ALL areas of the engine?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic