NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

rear main oil leak

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rear main oil leak
    Posted: August-13-2016 at 3:34am
The easy way I use to pull the Ford one piece seal out of the block is to take a 5/8 inch long self tapping screw, the pointed kind not the ones with a drill head on the face.
Drill close to the outer edge of the seal but make dang sure you do not touch the block surface with the screw.   I use a battery powered drill to install the self tapping screw into the old seal.   Leave the screw about 1/8 inch loose. Take a flat bar Nail puller and use the end of it to slowly and carefully pull the seal out of the block. Sometimes I have to put three screws in and work all the sides to get it out. Sometimes they come right out with one screw.
Before pulling the seal or installing the screw look really hard at the seal and surrounding surfaces for your leak.   Make dang sure your leak is not coming down from above the seal.   Tap the new seal in with a flat surface. I use a piece of 1/4 inch steel 2 inch wide by 4 inch long.   You have to work around the edges of the seal on install and tap it in till flush all around.   It must be flush and straight in the bore to work.
$850. please sing me up also, Could do 4 of these in a day and I am old. I hope you are running again soon. consider adding a Speedi Sleeve to make sure your crank surface will work.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2016 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Guy Guy wrote:

my builder found the correct rear main seal, charged me $850 to replace last one

$850, pick me, pick me, pick me!!!!
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2016 at 10:46pm
my builder found the correct rear main seal, charged me $850 to replace last one that was the wrong one sent to him by Rapido Marine. If its gonna cost that much again I'm going to try it myself. Thought that was really high due to the fact that they just put the engine together and runs fine other than the seal leaking. I have been studying on how to do it. If anybody has any video's on replacing seal would be appreciated.
Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2016 at 12:35pm
I have checked with skidim, sierra, cv performance, and a few others that had it on their catalog. All said they had to check with their distributor and all said discontinued item. Still searching, there are a few others that still need to check with, but no luck so far. Rapido marine is suppose to check and get back with my builder, but hasn't yet of course .I don't understand how an remanufactured reverse rotation engine can be bought 5 years ago and can't find the correct seal. Rapido marine installed a smooth seal which is wrong. The crank is smooth. Now they can,t give me a part # or the correct seal and they sell the engines.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

So......tell me, how'd you find it? Or is that a secret?   

Don't tell anyone Ken,I have a couple of their catalogs. I find what their part number is then check the web site for current info

Don't worry Gary, your secrets safe with me
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Don't tell anyone Ken,I have a couple of their catalogs. I find what their part number is then check the web site for current info
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Ken,
I was curious so I just did a search on Skidims site. All I did was to enter "rear main seal" in the site's search and the RR seal is at the top of the page.

Thanks for enlightening me Pete

Sometimes I'm not too smart.

Just tried that and there it was just like you said.

If you go to the menu on the left side and look at "seals engine" it doesn't show up there but plenty of other rear main seals do

Go figure
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 9:51pm
Ken,
I was curious so I just did a search on Skidims site. All I did was to enter "rear main seal" in the site's search and the RR seal is at the top of the page.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 9:17pm

Seal on skidim site

Hi Gary

You must be some kind of magician to find that on the skidim site.

I went to the oil seal section and it's not listed there but if I search for the number 1141 then it shows up.

It must be in the super double secret high priced seal section hidden so well that I wouldn't have a clue where to find it

I wonder if Guy has a seal on the way?

Thanks KenO,
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 9:28pm
Seal on skidim site
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 9:15pm
Those wick lines on the crank are known as a helix.   They are designed to sweep the oil back into the engine while it runs.   If your crank is smooth no need to address the helix but as instructed there are reverse rotation seals and you will need one.
Fel-Pro offers part number 17748 for the Ford 351W Reverse Rotation two piece rear main.
Fel-Pro can be ordered at any local parts store and most can have it the same or next day.
Specs can be seen at:
http://www.fme-cat.com   choose Pleasure Marine Model 5.8 Liter V8 5.8L 351 Ford Engine;    And available parts show up.
Edit:
I see you are looking for the One Piece Seal and Fel-Pro does not offer that reverse rotation one piece seal today.
The one piece seals are easy to install, you don't need to drop the pan but would need to remove the tranny or slide it back out of the way.
You might have a issue with the crankshaft surface. They sell Speedi Sleeves, these sleeves slip over the crankshaft to give you a brand new surface for the seal to work on.
They work and have been a standard repair item for years.   Two have leaked I would consider installing a speedi sleeve.
Fel-Pro S[eedi sleeve #16251, would need a tool to install properly part # 16301, probably $50 for both but it can fix a leak.
If your crankshaft was high mileage at time of rebuild it may have had a groove where the rear main seal ran. The grooves can get deep and leak, That is what a speedi sleeve can fix.    Also make sure the engine PVC is working and you don't have pressure build up causing your leak.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 8:36pm
Go and read a handful of posts back and you'll see that somebody named me gave you a part number and a place to maybe even get it, if they have it in stock. It's in the link in blue titled RR seal that you can click on

It's a Mallory Marine part number.

Somebody else named GaryS suggested that Discount Inboard Marine may still have the right seal too.
Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 8:20pm
Sorry for the confusing post. The way I understand is that 83 and on smooth crank, needs
a seal with wick lines. The replacement seal repido marine sent because the one that was in their remanufactured engine was wrong. They also sent the replacement that was smooth and was wrong. .I need seal part# R047041A which is hard to find. Thanks
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 6:00pm
If it helps to clarify, I just rebuilt my '82 351W RR this spring. Here is a picture of the crank showing the wick lines, the seal is NOT reverse rotation specific. I used a standard automotive 2 piece seal and I have no leaks.

Fel-Pro 2 Piece Seal

martin 74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin 74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 5:06pm
Ford 351 RR from 71 -82 will take a RH 2 piece seal
Ford 351 RR from 83 on will take a RH 1 piece seal
I don't think Ski DIm sells these anymore, they cost about $80 each 10 years ago. The LH ones were much less..
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 4:12pm
I believe skidim shows seals available in their catalog,it would be worth a call. Skidim.com
As to the engine manufacturer in Miami you all are assuming he did not mix and match engine parts. Mark you are right on the engine manufacturer standing behind the engine,the problem is that Guy did not purchase it from them, the PO of the boat did so this is something he's going to have to work thru. This,I also hate to say,is where when you buy a basket case you had better do the work yourself or have deep pockets. I had around 3k in 1990 dollars in my Mustang just to make it a realible usable boat,still far from what it looks like today.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 3:38pm
And they don't have to machine out any wick lines because like TRB said the later ones are smooth on the crank and the lines are in the seal

2 piece and 1 piece seals don't interchange and neither do the crankshafts that those seals work with

Do a search on here, you'll find plenty of info

Take a picture of the seal that was in the engine and post it.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Guy Guy wrote:

yes it was a reverse rotation engine, talking to builder and asked about wick lines said there was none. So, the way I take it, repido marine when I bought a remanufactured engine they remove wick lines when remanufacturing? Builder says he is looking for correct seal, hard to find part # to make sure it is correct one. When previous owner bought engine it was RR 351 Windsor for a 1975 correct craft ski nautique, marine engine.Paid $1000 for crate engine .Found a builder, he put it together, ,seal leaks,said wrong seal, took engine out,replaced with correct seal, still leaks .Need a part number for seal is what we are looking for now.

Well, this is one confusing post on your part.

If you have a one piece REVERSE ROTATION rear main seal the PCM part number is/was
R047041A and I think they are no longer available from PCM.

RR seal

The link above is to CP Performance and their website leads you to believe they have a Mallory branded replacement, but if you're smart you'll call their toll free number and speak to a real person who can tell you that they really have them in stock. Most places say that Mallory seal is out of stock or no longer available since Mallory is no longer in business but it seems that Sierra has rebranded a lot of the Mallory stuff.

You might say that Rapido Marine doesn't have the best reputation out there by the way.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 3:32pm
Professional shops stand behind the work they do. It is not OK to do a repair and claim no responsibility for it working. He took your money, make him fix it for free. It is his fault.
If he does not understand how to repair a rear main seal leak that is his problem not yours.
If the engine manufacturer sent your engine out with the wrong seal they are on the hook for your repair.   Some do print the warranty is Out of Chassis. If you agree to that the repair labor is on you and the parts are on them.
Good Luck with the repair.
Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 3:05pm
yes it was a reverse rotation engine, talking to builder and asked about wick lines said there was none. So, the way I take it, repido marine when I bought a remanufactured engine they remove wick lines when remanufacturing? Builder says he is looking for correct seal, hard to find part # to make sure it is correct one. When previous owner bought engine it was RR 351 Windsor for a 1975 correct craft ski nautique, marine engine.Paid $1000 for crate engine .Found a builder, he put it together, ,seal leaks,said wrong seal, took engine out,replaced with correct seal, still leaks .Need a part number for seal is what we are looking for now.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 3:01pm
A one-piece seal block (early 80's or newer on the 351w) does not feature any wick lines on the crank- the oil control is handled by the seal.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 2:44pm
Mitch,
The alternate to the wick lines on the crank is grinding them off but then still using a RR seal. The RR seals are hard to find.

I don't see it mentioned but was the engine by Repido a RR?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 2:40pm
Thanks for the info! He is looking for a part # for the seal. Said may be wrong one again. Trouble finding part numbers for seal. Don,t think there is any wick lines on this engine crank,. will a sleeve help that. Does there have to be wick lines for reverse rotation motor.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

but the crank needs to have the wick lines for a RH engine. .

it is possible a crank with the wrong rotation oil scroll

Yes, do check the wick lines and if they are not RR, Gary's idea of a Speedi sleeve is a good one.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 2:22pm
it is possible a crank with the wrong rotation oil scroll was used but with out disassembly there is no way to be sure, I don't think that by removing the seal that you can see in there but I'm not sure. If that were the trouble a speedi sleeve might solve the problem, I had the same issue on my HM in the days before forums. Also not sure if a sleeve can be installed with the crank in place either, I took mine apart and had a engine shop do the it
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 2:06pm
just got done talking to my mechanic. I was wrong about the 2 piece seal. The one that come with the remanufactured engine was the wrong one piece seal. It was not for a reverse rotation motor. Took engine out and replaced with correct reverse rotation seal sent by repido marine who remanufactured the engine. Put engine back together and still leaks. My mechanic says if he had rebuilt the engine it would be on him,, so its on me., must be something wrong with the remanufactured engine.per him. Sorry for the confusion!.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 12:42pm
Here's your problem - in the 80's Ford changed their blocks from a 2 piece seal to a one piece seal so you either have one or the other. As you found out a 2 piece seal will go in place but will not seal a 1 piece seal block and a 1 piece seal will not go into a 2 piece seal block. This we have to assume because you cannot fit a 1 piece seal in a 2 piece seal block. You need to use the correct seal for the block you are using and to complicate matters more you need to use a reverse rotation seal also. I guess I'm confused in that your mechanic who installed the seal won't stand behind his work and correct the leak,sounds as if he does not know what he is doing if in fact he's installing a 2 piece seal in a newer block.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 12:24pm
You literally cannot install one in place of the other, that is the problem. The difference is not only in the seal, but the block. Unless you were charged $$$ for machining to convert the block, someone is either blowing smoke up your wazoo or doing some serious Mickey mousing. Either way, time to cut ties with your current "mechanic".

Unfortunately without pics, it may be a little tough to know exactly what you have... And it is going to need to come apart again to fix it. A '75 era block would be 2-piece, but the crank needs to have the wick lines for a RH engine. Interceptor marinizations were gone by '70 though, so I am not highly confident you know what you have. Post pictures- of the boat, the engine, casting numbers- anything you have. Maybe we can get you pointed in the right direction.
Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 11:52am
Any opinion on what to do next? Know a mechanic that can fix? I live in Ohio but will drive to get it fixed. Have too much invested now to quit! It leaked with the one piece seal and with the 2 piece seal. Got charged to pull engine to replace one piece with 2 piece which did not fix.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 11:17am

Something must be getting lost in the translation between your mechanic,you and us. An engine with a 1 piece main seal cannot be replaced with a 2 piece seal.

Gary is correct. Your mechanic is out to lunch.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic