Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1st Generation Ski Nautique Roster

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
ForestB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2016 at 8:40am

This is my 67 still got alot of work just such a mission to get engine parts here in SA
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2016 at 10:40am
Nice-looking '67. Any idea where the motor box came from?
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2016 at 10:53am
Oops, I think I posted a reply to the wrong post. Nice looking '67. Any idea where the motor box came from?
"Art"
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

Oops, I think I posted a reply to the wrong post. Nice looking '67. Any idea where the motor box came from?

If you meant me, it's from a Stars and Stripes Mastercraft, not sure of the year. It was there when I bought the boat. It's about 2 inches too low, so the PO cut a hole in the top, patched that, and added plywood along the bottom to raise it. I used a lot of sandpaper and a DA sander to remove the stars and stripes and metalflake. I painted it to match the original top gel color, and carpeted the bottom 6 inches to cover the plywood inside and out. It's not perfect, but real solid and heavy. My one wire GM alternator and brackets fit too. Yes, I used black carpet........I like it with the red.
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 9:43pm
The original Chrysler alternator was toast, and the voltage regulator smoked like crazy, so I replaced both with a modern charging system, and made my own brackets from SS stock.
The PO also left me a big hole in the dash he cut for a glove box that had fake wood on the cover, maybe 67 Chevy station wagon origin. So the instrument panel from a Seaswirl fit the hole perfectly (almost), and I matched up the wiring and senders. The new bilge pump works from the pump switch too. This was a trial and error project to put it mildly.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 10:07pm
Yes, it was you for whom I intended that comment. Thanks for clearing that up. I also have a motor box from a 1960s SN that some fool cut a hole in . Must have had a high-rise intake manifold and thought it would look cool to have the flame arrestor sticking through the motor box. Some people ought not to be allowed to touch boats!
"Art"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 11:38pm

I also have a motor box from a 1960s SN that some fool cut a hole in . Must have had a high-rise intake manifold and thought it would look cool to have the flame arrestor sticking through the motor box. Some people ought not to be allowed to touch boats!

Art,
I'd have to say chances are very high that the dog house came from someone who converted from the YH's on a 312 to a downdraft. We even have a current member who did it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Little one View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 12:44pm
I know 1961 glass craft was the first year of the first generation ski nautique but what was the last year of the first generation ski nautique?
Old skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 12:56pm
Art, Correct me if I am wrong on this. The last year of the 1st generation SN was 1969. There was a change in 1970. Though the last year for the center deck boats was 1964. In 1965 they removed the center deck and put in a rear facing observers seat. Some center deck boats were purchased and titled after 1964, as back then the year of your boat was when it was titled in some states. But, to get back to your questions, 1969 was the last year.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Little one Little one wrote:

I know 1961 glass craft was the first year of the first generation ski nautique but what was the last year of the first generation ski nautique?

Hello...... Actually, Leo Bentz made the first Glass Crafts in 1957 and built them into 1061. In '61 he negotiated a deal with Correct Craft and turned over molds, parts, and unfinished product to CC. We started building them in 1961. The '61 that lives in the reception lobby at the factory is one of the very first ones that we built.

I consider the "first generation" to include the Leo Bentz Glass Crafts as well as the Correct Crafts through the 1969 model year. Perhaps we should designate sub-categories, like "First Gen GC" and "First Gen CC". There are still a good many GCs around.
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Old skier Old skier wrote:

Art, Correct me if I am wrong on this. The last year of the 1st generation SN was 1969. There was a change in 1970. Though the last year for the center deck boats was 1964. In 1965 they removed the center deck and put in a rear facing observers seat. Some center deck boats were purchased and titled after 1964, as back then the year of your boat was when it was titled in some states. But, to get back to your questions, 1969 was the last year.

That is all correct, and it triggers another "history" story. When it was decided that the SN should be made more attractive, Mr. W.O.. Meloon tasked our mold maker (Bill Ludeka, a true master of the trade, RIP) to make the boat more modern-looking and get rid of the wooden spray rails, but NOT to change the bottom design. A few days later Bill approached Mr. Meloon and asked, "Which side of that boat bottom would you like me to duplicate?" The bottom is asymmetrical, and the center line isn't in the center of the boat! I don't know what the actual answer was, but the 1970 SN was the result. If you carefully measure the chine lengths of a first-gen, you will find that the chines are different lengths.
"Art"
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 6:08pm

That is all correct, and it triggers another "history" story. When it was decided that the SN should be made more attractive, Mr. W.O.. Meloon tasked our mold maker (Bill Ludeka, a true master of the trade, RIP) to make the boat more modern-looking and get rid of the wooden spray rails, but NOT to change the bottom design. A few days later Bill approached Mr. Meloon and asked, "Which side of that boat bottom would you like me to duplicate?" The bottom is asymmetrical, and the center line isn't in the center of the boat! I don't know what the actual answer was, but the 1970 SN was the result. If you carefully measure the chine lengths of a first-gen, you will find that the chines are different lengths.

This is the stuff that keeps me coming back to the site. Thanks for Sharing, Art! Looking forward to hearing more stories in person at next year's SJRR!
Got Tiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2016 at 12:43pm
Ditto. Thanks for sharing, Art!!
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2016 at 12:33pm
SN1403 1965 Correct Craft Ski Nautique.

Special Order Ford interceptor 352 (FE Big Block, 240 HP). Red deck, white hull with red boot stripe. Plywood Dog House, Originally delivered to John "Doc" Horton's Ski School in Colorado.   See my "1965 Nautique Update" thread for more details and pics.
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2016 at 9:36am
So Art, to go from gen 1 to 2 it took a conversation between the owner and the mold maker.   Nothing gets done that easily these days!   Thanks for the story!
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 2:54pm
You are correct, Scott. Nowadays a new boat takes years to develop even after it has been decided what it will be. Changing and modifying a hull doesn't take as long, but still is a long process if the molds have to be changed out. The good news is that with today's resins, boats do not have to stay in the mold anywhere near as long as in the early days. I think in the 1970s CC had as many as 28 molds for Ski Nautique, and the boats had to be in the molds for 7 to 10 days. Today we can turn a mold around in 24 to 48 hours, so fewer molds are required.
"Art"
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2016 at 1:26am
I love being able to read the history/evolution of the boats. Having the first hand information available is such an asset.
JD ski, slicing, dicing, and shredding since 1981

1999 Air Nautique, GT40 Pro Boss, Trail Rite trailer
1975 Century Resorter
jake613 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2016 at 1:11am
Please forgive me if this is a dumb question but I have a 1963 classic.
Is this a Gen 1 ski nautique?

Old skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2016 at 1:33am
No, you have a '63 Classic. The hull is different than the Ski Nautique and the deck is different than the SN.
relake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2016 at 9:29am
Love the '63 Classic, learned to ski behind one at Dale Hollow
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2016 at 9:31am
Originally posted by jake613 jake613 wrote:

Please forgive me if this is a dumb question but I have a 1963 classic.
Is this a Gen 1 ski nautique?

"There is no such a thing as a dumb question!" Old Skier's reply is correct; the Classic is a different model to the Ski Nautique. Correct Craft at times built as many as 14 or 15 different model names. The Classic later became the Barracuda. Note that in the 1960s we often used the model names of popular automobiles. Classic (American Motors Rambler), Torino (Ford)), Mustang (Ford) are examples that come to mind. You have a true "Classic" boat. Have you had it for a long time?
"Art"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2016 at 10:48am

The Classic later became the Barracuda.

I'd like to add that the Cuda hull was lengthened by 7" ( 16' 6" for the Classic to 17' 1" for the Cuda)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2016 at 11:25am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The Classic later became the Barracuda.

I'd like to add that the Cuda hull was lengthened by 7" ( 16' 6" for the Classic to 17' 1" for the Cuda)

Not quite. Early cudas were 16'6" just like the classic. The harts could tell us when the hull grew.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2016 at 11:51am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Not quite. Early cudas were 16'6" just like the classic. The harts could tell us when the hull grew.

Well, we'll see if Bruce can comment on the year the change was made. I'm shocked the site historian doesn't know the year!!    

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2016 at 12:11pm
I don't know cudas very well... But I believe '66 was 16'6" and '68 was 17'... So the transition likely occurred either in '67 or '68. Dave showed me the trick to identifying which hull is which- the cap is rounded on an early (short) version and squared off on the later/longer one.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2016 at 12:14pm
We just put a tape to my '66 (maybe really '65 hull?) Al Tyll Skier ....... 16' 6"
jake613 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 2:35am
This one was in that neighborhood, came from Louisville Tennessee near Teleco lake and Fort Loudoun Lake.
jake613 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 2:38am
Had it about 5 years, Its developed "spider web" type cracks in the gel around the transom and back half of the boat about 2 years ago. Quit using at that time, winterized and kinda forgot about it.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 9:10am
Jake, I think that Classic has popped up on this site before. Nice looking boat.

Steve, your Al Tyl is definitely the old short hull. I believe the Cuda short hull was only made in '65 and lengthened in '66. A lot of the '65s don't seem to have vents on the scoops, same as the Classics.

The long hull drives much better in turns. The short hulls really plow and feel tubby, especially when going slower. The longer hulls don't do that.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 9:24am
I'm noticing that people on here know much more about the genesis of these boats than I do. I have always focused on the Ski Nautique, and in the 60s almost exclusively SN. I should probably defer references to other models to those who know the nuances when questions arise unless I can back up my answers with references! Good job, guys!
"Art"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic