NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

DUI Distributor issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Guessing the distributor wasn't seated all the way which I would grill your mechanic over, then find a new mechanic..

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I think that's pretty harsh especially if DUI determined that the gear mounting was questionable. .

The "harshness" was directed to whoever installed the distributor not noticing it wasn't seated and not to DUI's gear placement possible mistake

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 3:20pm
I understand that but we have know way of knowing if it was fully seated or not do we, we were not there. If it was not fully seated would there not be unusual wear on the gear too? Remember it's that gear that turns the distributor first, any forces that sheared the oil pump drive would also be concentrated on those gear teeth first, the OP never mentioned the gear being damaged.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 3:24pm
Gary,
There wouldn't be any wear on the gear since they are straight cut bevels.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 4:32pm
But if not fully seated the gears would be running out farther on their tips instead of the full width of the teeth? The pressures would have to be that much greater
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TedR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 6:20pm

May be too late too ask but how much is slightly higher?

Just curious because Ford has some pretty tight tolerances on the distance from the bottom of the seating flange to the bottom of the gear, see the link below

dist gear installation

Sounds like a DUI screwup on the original shaft

KenO[/QUOTE]

KenO, not sure how much higher ~1/16" to 1/8" at max... I did not get a good enough picture, that "Ford Racing" guide had some good info, thanks. I have not called DUI yet to give them a constructive debrief. I'm so dang happy that my boat works. I put on the new 3 blade Acme 540 and i ran it up to almost WOT. 44 mph (not GPS certified) @ ~ 3900-4000 RPM. The only hitch is that there is a new "whine" when the boat is engaged in forward. It does not happen in reverse. The alignment still looks ok. I pulled it out of the water and ran it, and no whine... no binding, all sounds and looks ok. Again, so thankful to no longer be "boat-free"
TedR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 6:23pm
BTW the new 3 blade prop creates a much less turbulent wake than the 4 blade. Smoother hole shot too.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 7:13pm
So, I replaced the Pro Tec with a DUI in a 454. When I dropped it in place, it is not possible to tell how much of the shaft is engaged. If it bottoms out, you can tell ...... but engaging 1/4 inch vs 3/8 inch vs 1/2 inch.... how would you know? Maybe mine isn't engaged enough...I wouldn't know. I have never heard of anyone measuring the distance prior to install. Is that done? How can you tell during install since you don't see anything and it would "feel" the same. Stupid question from a simple guy.............
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

So, I replaced the Pro Tec with a DUI in a 454. When I dropped it in place, it is not possible to tell how much of the shaft is engaged. If it bottoms out, you can tell ...... but engaging 1/4 inch vs 3/8 inch vs 1/2 inch.... how would you know? Maybe mine isn't engaged enough...I wouldn't know. I have never heard of anyone measuring the distance prior to install. Is that done? How can you tell during install since you don't see anything and it would "feel" the same. Stupid question from a simple guy.............

Here's a good Chevy explanation of setting distributor height and the article has input from Steve Davis of DUI.

Right now I'm too simple minded to make the link work for whatever reason

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ctrp-0606-proper-distributor-installation-practices/

KenO
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 8:43pm
Keno-

His directions are exactly what I did and what I am referring to. You can assess too much engagement (bottoming out) but it is not possible - by the means in that description - to assess too little engagement.

Hard to throw anyone under the prop if you can't assess marginal engagement. Using the old dizzy shaft setup would be the only practical way I would see to compare placement... and that assumes proper initial setup. Are there fancy ways to assess marginal engagement, Pete?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 9:19pm

Keno-

His directions are exactly what I did and what I am referring to. You can assess too much engagement (bottoming out) but it is not possible - by the means in that description - to assess too little engagement.

Hard to throw anyone under the prop if you can't assess marginal engagement. Using the old dizzy shaft setup would be the only practical way I would see to compare placement... and that assumes proper initial setup. Are there fancy ways to assess marginal engagement, Pete?

If you go back to page 1 of this thread you can see how I checked a 351 engagement that came out the same as what the broken DUI had (about 1/4 to 5/16 of an inch). This particular engine has been running for 40 years with this distributor so the engagement must be OK..

It would be taking the same basic measurements on a Chevy and doing some math.

I think it would be a little harder to get all the measurements on a Chevy but it can be done.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Keno-

If you go back to page 1 of this thread you can see how I checked a 351 engagement that came out the same as what the broken DUI had (about 1/4 to 5/16 of an inch). This particular engine has been running for 40 years with this distributor so the engagement must be OK..

It would be taking the same basic measurements on a Chevy and doing some math.

I think it would be a little harder to get all the measurements on a Chevy but it can be done.

That's exactly what I am saying - The "checking upon installation process" doesn't assess minimal engagement only bottoming out. The only way to do it is to measure the old dizzy and hope the setup doesn't change (intake manifold change, etc.). In your write up, you give measurements and use the term "about".
The DUI install discussion says to seat and wiggle to assess 100ths of inch wiggle. That's my point.... "wiggling to assess 100ths of an inch" is best guess process given what's known. It isn't a process that separates the "hack", as Pete calls, them from the Engine Gurus.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 10:10pm
Couldn't you measure the gear engagement the same way you would on a rear differential?

I've seen where they use a bright white or yellow paint and brush it on the ring gear, then spin the pinion and see how the teeth mesh by the transfer of the paint.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 10:14pm
It worked for me with a Ford distributor.

I was curious what I had for engagement since I hadn't really thought about it before this thread and I'll guess neither had you. Now I know. what mine is.

I didn't have any "instructions" on how to do this, just thought about it logically and started measuring things.

The "about" was rounding off a few thousandth's at the most to get the concept across and keep things easy to read.

You can take measurements of the new distributor just as easily as you can the old one and figure out how much engagement you have when you know how deep in the engine the top of the oil pump shaft is.

You can have faith that DUI or any other outfit did it right or you can measure.

You probably did a quick comparison of the new and old before installation right?
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2016 at 12:50am
Yup - Found out I had the wrong gear rotation! Like I said - Simple guy...... LOL!

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2016 at 9:39am

Yup - Found out I had the wrong gear rotation! Like I said - Simple guy...... LOL!

I remember that.

Good write up you did about it back then

From another simple guy

PS When I should have been getting my beauty rest last night I think I thought of a simple way of checking the engagement depth on a Chevy but I'd rather try it first to see if it actually works.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2016 at 11:04am

But if not fully seated the gears would be running out farther on their tips instead of the full width of the teeth? The pressures would have to be that much greater

The OD shoulders on the main shank of the distributor body that are in the block maintain the proper gear engagement depth no matter how far the distributor is inserted into the block.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2016 at 12:02pm

Stealing Steves picture for a minute Pete are you saying for example,that if the gear is running half engaged that the forces on those teeth are not increased? If they are not then why not cut the gears in half to cut friction losses?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2016 at 12:34pm
Am I confused or does the cam gear have nothing to do with distributor seating? Couldn't you just twist it right through completely if there was no distributor shaft shoulder or oil pump?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2016 at 9:47pm

The OD shoulders on the main shank of the distributor body that are in the block maintain the proper gear engagement depth no matter how far the distributor is inserted into the block.

Pete

Could you put this into some language that can actually be understood and makes sense too?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2016 at 9:57pm

Pete

Could you put this into some language that can actually be understood and makes sense too?

The distributor can't move outward from it's axis.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2016 at 10:34pm
I did a little looking at Chevy distributor shafts and oil pump intermediate shafts today and from my "simple" measurements there is about 4/10 of an inch of engagement when the distributor shaft is bottomed out in the oil pump shaft

Since all the installation instructions tell how to make sure it's not bottomed out and say nothing about engagement, it's probably because you have plenty of engagement and you use shims where the distributor sits on the manifold to reduce engagement if you're bottoming out in the oil pump shaft.

The location of the mounting pin hole in the distributor shaft makes it pretty much impossible to screw up the gear mounting because you can't really drill a new hole anywhere.

You can't mount the gear too high and you can't mount the gear too low either

The first picture shows the distributor shaft with the gear off and you can see the mounting hole. You can't redrill a hole closer to the distributor body or you'll be drilling thru the gear to put a pin in it. There's no room to drill closer to the oil pump end without breaking off the tang at the end of the shaft. And you can't go 90 degrees without drilling into the tang also. You also can't drill the hole in the gear at a different height and have it fit and mate with the existing hole in the shaft.

The second picture shows how much engagement there is when bottomed out against each other. (The piece of wire is just sneaking in to do a little photobombing)

I didn't take a picture of the distributor itself with the gear on it but there are a million or so on the internet to look at.

So........lot of words to explain at least to myself why nobody seems to worry about lack of engagement on a Chevy distributor.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2016 at 12:06am

Pete

The distributor can't move outward from it's axis.

Pete I'm not talking about it not meshing correctly. I thought we were discussing the distributor not being fully seated. If it's not fully seated and say only half of each gear were meshing would not the forces on those gear teeth be that much greater?

Ken I have only owned 2 Chevy's in my life,none were apart but small Honda motorcycles used the same drive as well as VW and MG. Interesting they all use a similar method
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2016 at 7:51am

Pete I'm not talking about it not meshing correctly. I thought we were discussing the distributor not being fully seated. If it's not fully seated and say only half of each gear were meshing would not the forces on those gear teeth be that much greater?

Gary,
I searched for a picture that would explain it better than I can in words but didn't find any so, I'll try again. The technical description of the distributor gearing is a crossed helical gear set. These gears have straight cut gears so when they mesh, there's only a single point contact. This single point contact can be anywhere on the gear face.so depth of engagement of one gear to the other can be anywhere on that face. IE: the point contact doesn't need to be centered on the face.

Where's the new member who's the gear engineer for Chrysler? Maybe he could explain it better than I can?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic