Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water in 1 cylinder

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
redtoybox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redtoybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water in 1 cylinder
    Posted: August-23-2016 at 6:01pm
I have a 1974 Nautique with a 351W Palmer Ford V8. The boat had a slight miss so I changed the spark plugs. When doing so there was water in the third cylinder (right side looking forward). NOT GOOD, but hoping it was just a blown head casket. ! Had a friend remove both cylinder heads, took them to a machine shop for an inspection, ground both heads, replaced one exhaust valve, reassembled with all new gaskets. Ran boat in water and engine was missing. Took spark plug out same third cylinder, and same thing, water in cylinder. Again removed this cylinder head, took to another machine shop, ground again, reassembled and same problem, water in this third cylinder. The obvious answer is a cracked block, but this engine has never been in a freezing condition (always stored inside a heated garage. Other than a cracked block, is there any other possibly problem area?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2016 at 6:45pm
d*ck,
Pressure test your exhaust manifolds. I'm surprised nether of the machine shops suggested it.
Welcome to CCfan. How about some pictures? We'd love to see the 74.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2016 at 7:01pm
What about sticking a 20 dollar compression tester in that number three hole there...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
redtoybox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redtoybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2016 at 7:24pm
The first machine shop did replaced one exhaust valve, but I do not know if a pressure test was done. Excuse me for a stupid question, but is there cooling water in the heads?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2016 at 7:45pm
I would rebuild that cylinder head one more time just to be sure.
redtoybox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redtoybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2016 at 8:29pm
Again, my stupid question, is there cooling water in the cylinder head??
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2016 at 8:37pm
yes.

You might want to pressure test the cooling system, will take some plugs, etc. I would test it at 15 PSI.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2016 at 8:39pm
yes, cooling water passes through the head, but this does not sound like your problem....   you need to check the exhaust manifolds as the water chamber in those should be separate from the exhaust chamber.    if the exhaust gas chamber gets water in it, it flows into the cylinder when the exhaust valve opens.   this is a common failure point on older exhaust (worn through), or in cases where the boat was not properly winterized (frozen and cracked)   Welcome aboard,   I am sorry you didn't find us earlier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2016 at 11:04pm
d*ck,
Did ether of the machine shops that worked on the head know it's a marine engine with water cooled exhaust manifolds?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 12:41am
Allow me to introduce you guys to one of my skiing 'heros' when I first joined the West Shore Water Ski Club; d*ck Waldbauer...

Great to see you on here d*ck. Sorry that I missed you at Norris this year...if you visited. Not sure. You will like the crew on here. Have had some fun times....kinda like ski club in the 70's.

john

stupid autocorrect......Richard Waldbauer
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 12:46am
Looks like he needs a Eddie
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
AirTique98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirTique98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 2:03am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Looks like he needs a Eddie

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more mechanical than my brother...but everyone could use an "Eddie"!
      Welcome d*ck....these guys will get you fixed!!
Bill
98Air Nautique

Former Owner:
1990 Ski Nautique
1981 Ski Nautique
1976 Ski Nautique
1971 Ski Nautique
AirTique98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirTique98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 2:08am
[QUOTE=jbear] Allow me to introduce you guys to one of my skiing 'heros' when I first joined the West Shore Water Ski Club; d*ck Waldbauer...

Likewise....one of our first barefooters and flier of the tandem kite/trapeze act in our ski shows.

Bill
98Air Nautique

Former Owner:
1990 Ski Nautique
1981 Ski Nautique
1976 Ski Nautique
1971 Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 11:18am
What exhaust valve was replaced? The rusty one from the leaky cylinder? Your problem is most likely a bad exhaust manifold but a compression test would certainly be a wise first move.
redtoybox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redtoybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2016 at 5:53pm
Thank you very much for your reply. I did not know about the exhaust manifold configuration. Wish I knew that before rebuilding the heads 2 times. I'm guessing the machine shop was never told the engine was a marine engine.
I'm having the manifold checked out.
Thanks again
d*ck Waldbauer
dockedwages1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dockedwages1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2016 at 5:55pm
Just wondering if the exhaust manifolds were your problem from the beginning? Do tell
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic