Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ignition System issues

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wjhogan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjhogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition System issues
    Posted: August-28-2016 at 2:10pm
I have a 1983 Correct Craft with 351 Ford. Began to have intermittent times when the engine would not turn over. Fan and other acc would work. After a couple or turns of the key would start. Engine runs fine.I did notice the dash fuse to the ignition switch had a lose connection but when I tightened it there the problem persisted. Then the problem progressed to when you turned the key far enough to start the engine everything went dead. After a period of time the gages came back but each time trying to start the engine everything went dead. It appears the 40 amp breaker on the rear of the engine was tripping To me a short someplace but could not find any bare wires.
Replaced the starter solenoid, breaker and ignition switch and when connecting the ignition switch the engine started to turn over. Disconnecting the ignition switch would not stop it so had to pull the battery cable. Now no matter what I do the starter continuously runs. Even after disconnecting everything and only connecting the battery and starter the new solenoid it turns over. I am assuming now I have messed to the new solenoid. Totally confused and frustrated.
W.J. Hogan
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2016 at 2:38pm
Walter,
Better get the VOM out and find out why you are getting power to the starter. I'd first check for 12 volts from the ignition key switch going to the coil on the start relay (solenoid). Then Ohm out the contacts in the start relay to see if they are welded together. This occurs when you aren't getting the volts to the starter causing a high amp (Ohms law) condition the start relay can't handle. Causes for low voltage can be bad battery (have it load tested), bad battery cables, bad/dirty battery terminals and never use a deep cycle for starting. Report back with what you find.

Welcome to CCfan, The group will get you going again!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wjhogan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjhogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2016 at 5:06pm
Thanks for the rapid reply,
The boat is at our weekend camp and while I do have a volt meter at home it has never been out of its original box meaning I will need to get out some books and go back to school. In other words you are going to have to have patience to get me through the electrical stuff. Sorry.
1st question ;
The ignition switch is not connected at all. It is sitting in the box. What is the connection to testing the solenoid ?? Is this related to the original problem and not the solenoid at all.
2nd question ;
When the only wires connected in the ignition system are the battery and starter to the solenoid performing the Ohm out procedure will tell me if the solenoid is ok ??
3rd Question: Connecting the voltmeter across the starter and battery post on the solenoid/starter relay I understand. When you say Ohm out the contacts I get lost.
That is enough for now.
Thanks Walter

W.J. Hogan
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2016 at 5:32pm
Walter,
Since the starter is cranking when you hook up the battery, it's getting power and I'd say it's via the start relay. Since you mention the ignition switch isn't connected, then the relay isn't energized so the contacts inside the relay must be welded together. Ohming them is simply a confirmation that they are closed/welded. You can do the same thing with a battery powered test light. I just recommend the VOM since there may be other tests for actual voltages that can be done. The big cables on the big posts on the relay are connected to the internal contacts. That's where you want to test. Get that meter out of the box and read the directions! Besides the boat, you can use it on the car and the house.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wjhogan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjhogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2016 at 6:55pm
Thanks for the information. Have the start relay in the car to go home to test
Thanks Walter
W.J. Hogan
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2016 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by wjhogan wjhogan wrote:

Thanks for the information. Have the start relay in the car to go home to test
Thanks Walter

Do be aware that sometimes the contacts will break lose after being welded together. When you test it, and if it shows infinity (open contacts) then I suggest energizing the coil to close the contacts. You can use a battery charger or some small jumpers to a battery. The negative will be the body of the relay and the positive will be the small terminal. When energized, Ohm between the big terminals. You should get a near zero Ohm reading. If not, then the contacts are burnt.

I see in your profile that you listed wood boats as an interest. Are you a ACBS member? What wood boat(s) do you have?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wjhogan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjhogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 10:04am
As mentioned, I am new to doing any electrical testing when it comes to boat's, cars etc so patience is a must.
I took the VOM out of the box and used it for the 1st time. The directions are almost exclusively for testing components that that have not been disconnected from their power source so had to experiment as I assumed I was looking for the needle to move.
There is a setting labeled   X1K.that when I connected the 2 large solenoid post on the new solenoid the needle moved from the zero on the left all the way to the zero on the right. I then took the original solenoid and the needle did not move.
I am assuming you no not want to see movement as the contacts should only come together when sending electricity from turning the ignition switch to start.
If this is correct the original solenoid may be ok and the new one is fused.
To test what I did, I took the 2 ignition switch's and with the key off the needle did not move. when connected from the BAT post to the ACC or the ST post. When I turned the key on the ACC post moved the needle but the ST did not. When I turned the key to the start position the ST post moved the needle. When I moved to the Ign post with the key in the start position it it stayed to the right which is here it already was.
The 40 amp breaker also moved the needle.
I am now beginning to wonder if the issue is not with any of these components but is under the dashboard with those fuses since in my original note, I mentioned I had some loose wires that I thought I had corrected but maybe it was more than one issue there.
Any thoughts ??
ill add the boats I have to this post but not in this message. as I am not sure if I am limited to characters.
Thanks Walter
W.J. Hogan
wjhogan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjhogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 11:11am
Hope it is ok to put on this site. As a newbie, I do not want to get off on the wrong start. Promise not to make a habit of it.
Boats that I have. If my wife was answering "toooooooooo many" would be the reply.
Not really a lot but quite rare is more fitting.
1. .I started with a 1937 17" Chris Craft Deluxe runabout all original except for the upholstery and have re-varnished the sides/decks and repainted the bottom.. Still in use and have owned since 1978.

2. In 1985 I acquired an pre 1900 15" Atlantic Sea Skiff. I bought it from the original owner who 85 at the time and stated the boat was in her family before she was born which is why I an not sure of the year. Hull was in excellent shape as it was in storage since pre 1940. Original engine had been removed and replaced with a model T but that also had been removed. I kept it in storage in hopes I could find literature and an engine. I was able to confirm it was built by the Atlantic Boat Works in Amesbury Mass. Began looking in earnest in 2001 when I relocated to Cooperstown, NY and Old Marine Engine website connected with a collector who became a good friend and he located a 1907 4 HP engine built by the Atlantic Boat Works in Amesbury which we have had running. Needs some additional fine tuning but otherwise a nice engine. I am now finally doing the restoration.
3. In Nov of 2015, I acquired a 30" G E & P (Gas Engine and Power Co) Naphtha Launch "Susquehanna" built I believe in 1898 although there is a photograph dated 1895 that identifies this boat. However because of my research I am questioning the date of the photograph. This boat was originally on Lake Otsego here in Cooperstown and I have newspaper accounts of it being brought here from the G E & P co. in NYC by the Bower's family in 1898 and additional newspaper articles tracing it up the 1970's when it was sold as salvage and moved to the finger lakes where it was put in storage until I bought it. How I learned of this boat and its acquisition is a story in its self. which relates back my friend from the Old Marine Engine website.
This boat is to begin restoration next month. Again has an excellent hull and obviously no Naphtha engine as they are pretty much non existent. I do the 1930's Grey Marine that was in it.
4. 1930's 18" Old Town Flat Back canoe with sponsons. Needs restoration and in storage.
5. Late 1960's Wooden Sunfish Sailboat. Very good condition. Have not had it in the water for a few years as it needs some paint.
6. I have to include my 1983 Ski Nautique which I have owned since 1994. It has been a dream boat that in all these years I replaced the Carburetor and Drive Shaft and no other maintenance until this electrical issue. Even the carburetor probably wasn't needed but it giving me a little trouble on starting and because they can be so temperamental it was quicker and easier to just go buy one. I still have the original however.
Walter.

W.J. Hogan
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 11:56am
Walter,
The Ohm reading you got on the first relay shows the contacts are welded together. Throw it away. Then on the second, relay it showed the contacts only closed when the coil in the relay was energized so it's good.
The testing you did on the ignition key switch, was that on a new switch?

Always great to find another wood boat owner. The G E & P sure sounds interesting. Post the progress (and pictures) of your restoration in the "off topic" section. I know everyone would enjoy seeing it. ACBS member??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wjhogan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjhogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 12:23pm
Pete,
When you say the small post on the solenoid do you mean the S post ??

I also learned I could have clicked on your name/picture to provide you my boat information so will keep my post to CC issues in the future.
Walter.
W.J. Hogan
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 12:56pm

Pete,
I also learned I could have clicked on your name/picture to provide you my boat information so will keep my post to CC issues in the future.

Don't worry about that. We like boat stories/information. Any boat. doesn't have to be a CC to be fun and interesting.

Your profile address is Caroga Lake, but you said "here in Cooperstown". Is Cooperstown home and Caroga your cottage/lake/boat location? Just curious. Family in cooperstown, in fact I am going to be up there next week.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 1:43pm

Pete,
When you say the small post on the solenoid do you mean the S post ??
Walter.

Yes, the small S post is the + connection to the coil (electromagnet) that pulls in the contacts.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wjhogan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjhogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 2:49pm
Pete,
I was a member back in the 80's and use to go to the shows on Lake George. Have not been to one since. Go to Clayton on and off but not with the boat.

I tested both the new and old Ignition switch's and they gave identical readings so I am assuming both are good as well as the 40 amp breaker.

So I am wondering if I messed up thinking there was an issue with the start relay and breaker and should have concentrated more under the dashboard and the fuse that feeds the Ignition switch and then to the exhaust fan and then on to the rest of the Acc.
I also broke one of my cardinal rules for removing wiring and that is to label everything.
Reconnecting the solenoid and circuit breaker was a nightmare and no easy diagrams on the internet. I have also struggled with the Ignition switch as it is very difficult to know which wire coming from the back is for which post on the switch and which to the fuse. Again not labeling. Really kick myself for that. I believe I have the solenoid and breaker figured out so am concentrating on the Ignition switch..
So once I have learned more about the meter I may solve that mystery.
Thanks Walter.

W.J. Hogan
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 3:22pm
Keep reading those instructions and using the meter. I think you will find it to be a very handy tool and then come to realize it shouldn't have been in the box unused all those years!

Here's a basic wiring diagram:

It's out of one of the manuals in the sites reference section.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wjhogan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjhogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 5:30pm
Pete,
On my engine the white wire from the transmission switch goes onto the S post of the starter relay.
The other white wire from the transmission switch disappears into the wiring harness and would that then go to the coil or am I still not clear on the wiring at the solenoid.??
Thanks Walter
W.J. Hogan
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 5:40pm
The NSS (neutral safety switch) on the trans isn't shown on the diagram. Yes, the other white wire you see on the NSS, goes forward to the ignition key switch. It should be connected to the S terminal on the switch. The NSS simply prevents engine cranking if the trans isn't in neutral. So, the NSS is only closed when the trans is in neutral.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wjhogan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjhogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 7:56pm
The boat is at Caroga Lake and I will not be there until Sat but will study the diagram. It will give me the opportunity to use and learn about the reference section as the one you sent is a little small for these old eyes. Big help however.
I will also play with the VOM and I am sure I will have questions so expect to see messages.
Thanks Jim
W.J. Hogan
wjhogan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjhogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 9:33pm
Pete,
So one white wire from the NSS goes to the S post on the Selenoid and the other going through the harness goes to the S post on the Ignition switch.
The question I have does the white wire go directly to the Ignition S Post or to the fuse on the dash and then to the Ignition switch ??
Thanks Walter
W.J. Hogan
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 10:16pm
Walter,
The white wire should go between the NSS and the key switch. The fuse should be on the "line" side (feed) to the ignition switch. This way, the ignition switch is overload protected by the fuse or a breaker. The line side (feed) from the fuse gets connected to the B terminal on the switch.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wjhogan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjhogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 3:58pm
When you say next week you will be up there, do you mean Cooperstown or Caroga Lake. ??
We will be at Caroga lake labor day weekend.
Walter
W.J. Hogan
wjhogan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjhogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2016 at 1:34pm
Pete,
We are up and running. Starts and runs beautiful.

In the beginning I was sure the problem was in the ignition switch so when I replaced it, I wired wrong. Remember I broke my cardinal rule of NOT labeling everything I disconnected.
The problem was in the dash fuse that goes to the ignition switch and I am back to using my original Ignition switch, Starter relay and the 40 amp breaker.
I now have spares for all three as I was able to unfuse the starter relay (Solenoid) by using your suggestion of a Battery Charger on the "S" post. Not sure if it is 100% but could be used I hope in an emergency.

Points I learned that may help others.
1. The issue was in the dash fuse that goes to the ignition switch. It had a bad contact. I did have warning signs the problem was in this area and didn't follow them..

2. When removing electrical wires from anything, label, label and label so the labeling will last. I have had them smudge and fall off which then becomes unlabeled.

3. Before order replacement parts, exhaust your troubleshooting efforts. The circuit breaker is over 120 dollars. I will credit to Adirondack Marine in Lake George, one our local Ski Nautique dealers who tried to talk me out of this switch as they were not convinced it was the problem and they were right but I insisted. Granted I now have spares but I did spend close to 200 dollars I did not need to and may never need them. I have a 1937 Chris Craft with all of it's original ignition system components.
4. Learn how to use a VOM. (Thanks Pete)
5. Use this forum. It has a wealth of information and knowledgeable contributors

Thanks Pete for all your help and patience.
Walter
W.J. Hogan
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2016 at 11:53pm

Plus, you found out the VOM was worth taking out of the box and reading the instructions! Now, the next step is to use it on the house wiring if something goes out. You'll amaze your wife!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wjhogan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjhogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2016 at 1:58pm
Yes I did forget to mention the VOM. Great tool so do not be like me and leave in the box.

Question while I have you attention.

Last year I was having trouble starting the engine wen hot. Started right up when cold. Was thinking vapor lock but had never had the issue before.

It turned out to be my points which had become .020 when I usually have them at .016.
Once adjusted to .016 problem solved.

I would have thought at .020 even cold it would have started hard but no, immediate start.

I didn't waste any money on this issue. Whew.

Thoughts
Walter
W.J. Hogan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic