Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wsavini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsavini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer
    Posted: September-06-2016 at 9:18pm
Does anyone no the bearing size on the original trailer for a 1965 correct craft Mustang> 16ft. I'm thinking 1 inch. its a 5 lug hub. I'm driving 5+ hours to buy this boat and bring back so I want to bring tires, hubs and bearings with me. Ty
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2016 at 12:51am
I have gone through many late 60's and early 70's #2 trailers. There were enough inconsistencies in the early part of the era I'm familiar with (67-68) that I would not even speculate as to what was used in '65. By ~1970 or so, 1" inner/outer (L44643) was common.

4-lug would have been the norm until ~1976, so someone has messed with the trailer in question in the last 50+ years. I would ask the seller to confirm spindle/bearing/seal sizes in advance of your trip, that is not an unreasonable request.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2016 at 1:24am
Or take it to the parts store immediately. Pop one side off and get some spares, repack in the meantime. Confirm what they give you last time they gave me wrong stuff...
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2016 at 9:00am
Make sure you have enough time. Anticipate repacking them when you get there.
Take grease & tools with you. Maybe all you'll need are seals.
Measure them and write it down when you have it apart.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2016 at 9:24am
Our '66 Mustang trailer has 1" spindles. NAPA has complete hubs on the shelf that fit ours. They sell those hubs with 4 and 5 lugs. No guarantee that's what you have...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2016 at 9:46am
As several have mentioned, repack, get it home and then tear into the bearings. I wouldn't even worry about seal. You just may throw some grease on the way home.!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2016 at 10:02am
If you are really concerned, make an appt at a tire shop to have them repacked the day of pickup. You can cancel if buy falls thru.   Repacking bearings is messy, I wouldn't want to do it in a parking lot. Sometimes convenience is worth the $.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2016 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Our '66 Mustang trailer has 1" spindles. NAPA has complete hubs on the shelf that fit ours. They sell those hubs with 4 and 5 lugs. No guarantee that's what you have...

Bruce, I believe your trailer is several years newer than the boat... Early 70's vintage if I had to guess.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2016 at 10:17am
Our black trailer?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2016 at 11:39am
Yes. Under the mustang.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2016 at 11:41am
Ha, I always figured it was an original to the boat. It is quite a bit different than the original '65 trailer that came under that Skylark from NH.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic