Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New project 1965 mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 9>
Author
Bilkolayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2016 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

So, I have to assume there was a payout from ones insurance company??
I applaud you for your efforts.. I'd be shopping for a new boat...

Moj'

Yea I think thay prob did I got a good deal on it. And I was looking for a new boat it's new to me lol. My father owns and operates a boat restoration company in Baltimore and I also worked 4 years at a body shop in Baltimore before I joined the Coast Guard 10 years ago. So I have paint body and fiberglass down pat. Also I'm still a mechanic in the USCG

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 11:45am
I started to pull the rubrail off got about half done and the kid wanted to ride bikes so little progress so far today. But I pulled the battery and put it on charge and it took a charge so that's a win.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Bilkolayne Bilkolayne wrote:

I pulled the battery and put it on charge and it took a charge so that's a win.

No load test? That will tell you if the battery is good or not. Seeing the charger taper off it's amps is really no indication of a battery condition.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 12:42pm
Pete, given the work he has cut out for him, allow him the small victory. That's the only way I'm able to move forward at times.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 2:27pm
Jonathan,
Sorry, Bruce is correct that I came across very abrupt. You certainly do have your work ahead of you. Keep the news coming about your progress.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I pulled the battery and put it on charge and it took a charge so that's a win.

No load test? That will tell you if the battery is good or not. Seeing the charger taper off it's amps is really no indication of a battery condition.

It's still good I put it on a trickle charge over night then hit it with my load tester...... tested fine I also then put it in my truck and started it about a dozen times and it was good there also. The battery was new in June of this year but I'm shore sat dead for a few months

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 2:41pm
I got the rest of the rubrail off and staring to pull out the side storage and get a better idea of how I'm going to attack the weak gunnle..... I have a few ideas rolling around but just not to shore yet of what way I want to tackle it yet. I need to hit the marine supply and get some glass and resin.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 11:16am
OK so I think I got a game plan. Has any of you guys removed the top cap off of one of these boats before because I think that's my best bet for getting in the tight gunnle with new glass and support from the bottom side.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 11:41am
Johnathan,
It can be done but it may be hard to break the bond between the cap and hull. I feel it would be easier to roll the boat over. Upside down would also be helpful if any bottom work is needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 11:49am
[QUOTE=8122pbrainard] Johnathan,
It can be done but it may be hard to break the bond between the cap and hull. I feel it would be easier to roll the boat over. Upside down would also be helpful if any bottom work is needed.[/QUOT

I watched a few videos of how and it dose not look to difficult from what I see when I pulled the rub rail is a series of Pop rivets all the way around the boat that hold the two together so I would drill out the pop rivets take a scraper all the way around then get some buddy's to help me pull it off..... where the damage is I see it being much much better to get a good layer of glass in there if the hull is not in the way.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 1:22pm
Inside the boat there is an attempted layer of f-glass behind the rub-rail.   So, after the rivets are drilled out, you will need to either cut or remove that layer before the top-deck will ever come off.
I did my '66 with a big old heavy duty sharp knife and a hammer. Shoved it straight up between the hull and deck. Then enjoyed hammering the knife all the way around.
I know it sounds rather barbaric, but the method did achieve my objective.
Keep it....from sinkin'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Inside the boat there is an attempted layer of f-glass behind the rub-rail.   So, after the rivets are drilled out, you will need to either cut or remove that layer before the top-deck will ever come off.
I did my '66 with a big old heavy duty sharp knife and a hammer. Shoved it straight up between the hull and deck. Then enjoyed hammering the knife all the way around.
I know it sounds rather barbaric, but the method did achieve my objective.

Thank you for the great information that will really help me.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 6:19pm
I'd flip the boat!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'd flip the boat!

I don't really see that being a great option considering the amount of work I need to do in the gunnle to do the job right it needs to come off. I just went and grabbed some fresh drill bits and new flat chizzle scrapers it's gonna happen in the next few days

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 11:22pm
In about 10 min with new drill bit and a strong putty knife I habe half of one side broke loose and that went like a pice of cake. Not so barbaric after all.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2016 at 1:59am

In about 10 min with new drill bit and a strong putty knife I habe half of one side broke loose and that went like a pice of cake. Not so barbaric after all.

keep the pics coming...this is gonna be real interesting.

So you are still in the Coast Guard? One of my very best friends put in 30 years. Left as a Chief Warrant Officer.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2016 at 5:57pm

OK so I took more of a direct a approach and only remove the bad section I will go from the underside and replace all the bad glass and add more support after that section is complete I will then reinstall and fiberglass back in place

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 9:59pm
So I removed the old glass from the section of gunnle today and started laying resin to form a good layer spot for glass........ I'll sand it all down and lay down glass tomorrow. Makeing progress that's all that matters.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2016 at 2:46pm
I removed all the bad glass from the underside of the gunnle and applied 3 new layers of glass to it all. Then put a layer on the outside of the side of the gunnle where it was soft. Hope to fiberglass the gunnle back on the boat tomorrow.... makeing good progress here. After its back together I'll prep the whole topside for primer then paint. Hope to have it painted by next week some time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2016 at 7:03pm

Got the gunnle back on waiting for the resin to dry so I can block it out and add some more glass if need be

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2016 at 5:31pm

Working my tail off here got the gunnle completely back on and a coat of primer on it. Working my way round the dash. I pulled the gages and between the dash it was all cracked so out with the old and inn with the new.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2016 at 7:26pm
Got 6 sheets of glass over the gauge cluster and one on the hole dash. I'm out of resin and glass so off to the store tomorrow to get more and finish the dash try to get it in primer tomorrow mabe the the only thing left is one coat of glass on the port side and get it all ready for paint.... I want to paint it next week probably.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2016 at 8:22pm

Makeing way here..... I'll be putting it back together in no time
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2016 at 12:48pm
Sounds like your plan is to paint it? Your skill set looks dialed in why not regel it? I feel the value in the end would be worth the extra effort.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2016 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by bwinn bwinn wrote:

Sounds like your plan is to paint it? Your skill set looks dialed in why not regel it? I feel the value in the end would be worth the extra effort.

I really don't know what I want to do yet. Gell coat is something I habe never messed with before it would be a good learning experience....... we will see what I decided to do
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2016 at 6:10pm
If the boat is already painted, and I am pretty sure that one is ... then paint on. Putting gel on the deck of a painted boat is not going to win you much of an increase in value and as a painter you will be able to spray buff and look great.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2016 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

If the boat is already painted, and I am pretty sure that one is ... then paint on. Putting gel on the deck of a painted boat is not going to win you much of an increase in value and as a painter you will be able to spray buff and look great.

Yes I have not done much research into gelcoat. The boat has been painted before so like you said it's not really worth it. I'm going to find a nice topside paint lay it on wet sand and buff it. Should bring decent results. Anything is better then the condition that I bought the boat in
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2016 at 6:48pm
You are ambitious and work fast. Best of luck on this project.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2016 at 1:13am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

You are ambitious and work fast. Best of luck on this project.

Yes when I'm set on something I tend too not stand till it's done...... other ppl on this page thought I had my work cut out for myself but it's all a challenge to me. To do it right and in record time....... ppl always tend to underestimate my ability...
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2016 at 11:22am
I highly recommend using "Smartshoppersinc" or google "Kirker paint". Talk to Dave. Very good paint for great prices. Bout $65 a gallon. Have painted lots with it. Nice work, keep diggin    I like the urethane line
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 9>
  Share Topic