NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New project 1965 mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 9>
Author
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2016 at 1:49pm
Since you don't sleep and you work so fast, it looks like you might need to take on a roofing project before the rainy season   Your three tab is in pretty rough shape, and looks like it is leaking,    At your pace though you could probably get that roof finished up in half a day or so
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2016 at 1:54pm
Wow, amazing transformation in such a short time. Quite a feat considering the condition of that gunnel when you started. Nice work.

oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2016 at 1:59pm
Just when I thought there would be a good winter project to watch. I would still be deciding where to make the cuts! I'm impressed.
Bilkolayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2016 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

Since you don't sleep and you work so fast, it looks like you might need to take on a roofing project before the rainy season   Your three tab is in pretty rough shape, and looks like it is leaking,    At your pace though you could probably get that roof finished up in half a day or so

LOL I prob would but I rent now own the place. And yea it dose need some attention but I'll leave that up to the landlord

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2016 at 3:31pm
The coat I put on this morning i put on very thin and it dried really quickly so I went ahead and put the last coat on it looks really good..... I'll give it a day or so the dry up and cure all the way before I start putting the rub rail and all back on.. I got to paint the steering parts anyway.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2016 at 3:39pm
I also had time between coat to pick up dinner and start cooking in the slow cooker and watch and episode of shameless lol.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2016 at 5:52pm

The last 2 coats I put a enamel crystallizer in and wow that dried real fast. I was able to start putting it back together.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2016 at 8:01pm
New glove box will be here this week and I forgot to order the fuel gauge also so I ordered that also..... just picked up a new fuse box and some wire.... gonna start on that tomorrow hopefully.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2016 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Bilkolayne Bilkolayne wrote:

The last 2 coats I put a enamel crystallizer in and wow that dried real fast. I was able to start putting it back together.

gosh I must be slow or don't understand...you rolled this paint job??!!

holy cow.....

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2016 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

gosh I must be slow or don't understand...you rolled this paint job??!!

holy cow.....

john

Yea I rolled and tip for the first time and I'm super impressed with the outcome...... even for being cheep paint it come out like glass..... took me a few days but looks really good even up close
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2016 at 11:07pm
I did not know what rolling and tipping was so I looked it up. The tipping part seems extremely fussy, an art. How hard is it? I see this was your first time. How hard is it to master to get the results you want? How much practice?

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2016 at 11:35pm
I was wondering too Larry....but to lazy to look it up.

Mighty impressed by the results.

You still on active duty Bilkolayne? Don't know how you can get so much done....so fast.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2016 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I did not know what rolling and tipping was so I looked it up. The tipping part seems extremely fussy, an art. How hard is it? I see this was your first time. How hard is it to master to get the results you want? How much practice?

It's took a good bit odd time but we'll worth trying it. It looks rough when you first put it on but if it's thinned right it will wind up comeing out smooth when it drys if that makes ant cens

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2016 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

I was wondering too Larry....but to lazy to look it up.

Mighty impressed by the results.

You still on active duty Bilkolayne? Don't know how you can get so much done....so fast.

john

Yes still active duty I just got back from my 7th 2 months deployment and decided it was time to take some leave so I took a month off and we'll I have been nonstop on this boat....
. I hit ten years active duty on the 6th of this month thanks for asking
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2016 at 12:54am

I did not know what rolling and tipping was so I looked it up. The tipping part seems extremely fussy, an art. How hard is it?

Larry,
It's not really an art but does take a little practice. Now, on the being fussy part, I do know a restoration expert that is so fussy, he rolled and let his wife tip --- Alan rolled and Dana tipped the Hurricane!!    However, the results are proof that the method does work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2016 at 2:55pm
I'm picking up the Rochester carb and electronic ingnition now. It's raining out today so I'm not going to get much done on the boat today so I took a road trip instead.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2016 at 4:14pm

I'm picking up the Rochester carb and electronic ingnition now. It's raining out today so I'm not going to get much done on the boat today so I took a road trip instead.

Marine versions? Hopefully!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2016 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Marine versions? Hopefully!!

Yes directly off of a MerCruiser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2016 at 3:10pm
Drilling out the gauge holes today..... I'll post pics when it's done

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2016 at 3:30pm

The tilt trim gauge will be a fuel gauge it just has not arrived in the mail yet. But it looks really good

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2016 at 5:16pm

Gauges inn steering back on rubrail on. Still got to buy a new steering wheel or fix up the old one but I got time for that one.... I'm ripping out the interior now. Does anybody know how to get to ski pole out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2016 at 7:26pm

I got the inside striped and I see now how the pole comes out. Just a u bolt It looks like. I'm gonna pull up the floor and start wiring tomorrow hopefully.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2016 at 9:14pm
Some of the ski poles have some kind of drift pin that secures it to a little cup glassed onto the hull floor.

I'm not familiar with this era, so there's a good chance I'll be corrected on the subject in the morning. Just throwing it out there in case it doesn't come out right away and you're wondering what's going on.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2016 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I did not know what rolling and tipping was so I looked it up. The tipping part seems extremely fussy, an art. How hard is it?

Larry,
It's not really an art but does take a little practice. Now, on the being fussy part, I do know a restoration expert that is so fussy, he rolled and let his wife tip --- Alan rolled and Dana tipped the Hurricane!!    However, the results are proof that the method does work.

That almost sort of slightly rings a bell Pete that Alan rolled the Hurricane. I may have thought of that but didn't go back to search the Hurricane thread to verify. I seem to recall being interested in the concept when I read it. I've had this dream project rolling around in my head for about the past 15 years but just cant commit, but it would entail painting. I don't have the equipment (except for a cheap HF spray gun) or talent to spray, so the rolling concept got my attention.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2016 at 11:44am
Trying to figure out where to start the wiring..... everything is burnt up so I'm thinking just rip out all the old and start from scratch. It's such a mess and had to figure out what's what.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2016 at 12:01pm

I've had this dream project rolling around in my head for about the past 15 years but just cant commit, but it would entail painting. I don't have the equipment (except for a cheap HF spray gun) or talent to spray, so the rolling concept got my attention.

Larry,
The roll and tip works surprisingly well. It's best to have two people. One to roll and then immediately after application the one to tip. Also the finish needs to be pretty slow (long curing) so the tipping can be done before it starts to set up. Slow finishes tend to be self leveling so all you are basically doing with the tipping is leveling the roller stipple. Good foam roller covers also lay down a smoother coat. Go for it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2016 at 1:30pm

Trying to figure out where to start the wiring..... everything is burnt up so I'm thinking just rip out all the old and start from scratch. It's such a mess and had to figure out what's what.

Try to take a couple pictures if you can, if there's anything left to photograph.

A couple questions
1.) Does the alternator use an external regulator (probably if it's original)
2.) Are you planning to run a ammeter gauge in the dash or just a voltage gauge.

This will give people some ideas to work with. Skidim has some pre-made harnesses set up, but I believe you have to do some modification to accommodate a ballast resister. Also, I think the pre-made engine harness assumes an internal voltage regulator. If you're running an ammeter, you'll have to accommodate that. So, just some things to think about.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2016 at 3:14pm
Wiring:   First you need to decide if you're going '65 spec.
'65 spec. is - all white wires= ground (except for battery cable, it's still black, and hopefully they're at least 0ga. or bigger
You'll need 4 fourteen ga. that runs all the way back, port stringer, under the tank, up the transom. (assuming you'll have a blower back there)
White - ground
Red - fuel+
Green - blower+
Black - anchor lite+

Then you'll have 8 wires for engine harness.
Black 10ga. -
White 10ga. -
Red 10ga. -
Orange 10ga. - (optional)
Blue 14ga. -
Brown 14ga. -
Gray 14ga. -
Purple 14ga. -
Yellow 14ga. - (for the opt-out on the orange 10 ga.)

Then, all that's left is:
Black and White 14ga. for the Bow-Lite.
and White and Whatever that isn't on the above color list for the Bilge-Pump.

And we'll probably expect this to be done before 4:30.

Keep it....from sinkin'
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2016 at 3:26pm
Ebasic (and others) have the 8-pin engine wiring harness/plug used from the late 60's through early 90's. Als description makes it sound like it might date back to '65? Cheaper/easier than building your own harness.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2016 at 3:54pm
Well actually I was getting ready to edit the above.
The above is kinda a mix. (the only '65 spec. would be the White grounds)
'65 spec would have been all Black w/colored tracer for the 14ga. engine harness wires, maybe one white w/red tracer.

And - horn, I forgot about a horn. So, add two Horn wires, If not, just carry a whistle.

And hurry up, we don't have all day!

Just kidding - Take your sweet time with wiring!

Keep it....from sinkin'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 9>
  Share Topic