Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New project 1965 mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 6789>
Author
Bilkolayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2016 at 1:03pm
Found a brand new tailer made 66 inch windshield for $100 today going to pick it up this afternoon. Still working on the engine I had to get my old lady a new truck this last week so that has taken up most of my spare time and also I had family come into town. Hope to have it running right this week

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2016 at 8:11pm
Got my windshield I will post pics tomorrow some time.... got a hell of a deal $400 tailer maid for $100. I'm excited

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2016 at 7:41pm

Have not mounted it yet but it looks really good
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2016 at 8:15pm
Sharp looking boat!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2016 at 10:03pm
What's the height on that windshield? Something about it doesn't look quite right.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2016 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

What's the height on that windshield? Something about it doesn't look quite right.

It's 17inches I think it is a bit big but could not pass it up for the money.... I think the original one looks to small anyway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2016 at 5:51pm
Finally got it running right I put the new distributor on and it's running great.
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2016 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Bilkolayne Bilkolayne wrote:

Finally got it running right I put the new distributor on and it's running great.

Any chance that you are going to put it the water this weekend for a test run?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2016 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Bakchose Bakchose wrote:

Any chance that you are going to put it the water this weekend for a test run?

Prob not I don't have controls in it and I still need to pull the steering cable off to lube it..... I also winterize the engine last night so I think I'm ready to cover it up for a wile and finish it up in the spring.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 5:25pm

OK so here we go back at it.... just picked up new carpet for the interior. Hopefully order controls and exhaust pipe this week. Still need to free up the steering cable and build front seats. Little bit of wiring left to do and a new flame arrestor and we will be ready for the water.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2017 at 9:16am
So I've been pretty productive. Build a whole new subfloor out of pressure treated plywood. Carpeted the whole floor. Picked up new throttle cable shifter cable and steering cable. Replace exhaust pipes. Hope to install the cables today and finish my wiring. Only thing left to do is clean out the fuel tank. Put some fresh gas in it and test run it on the lake. Hoping to have it in the water this weekend.
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2017 at 12:07pm

Hoping to have it in the water this weekend.

This weekend's forecast is looking pretty grim. 65 and raining both Saturday & Sunday. Hope it changes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2017 at 10:15pm
Update.... got the new steering cable in place then found that my Rutter is a little bit bent. Going to take it to work tomorrow to straighten it out. Got all the gauges wired up and went to start it for the first time after sitting all winter. She started right up. Just got to figure out this alternator wiring or order a one wire alternator. Probably put the rutter back in tomorrow and hook up the steering as well as hook up the controls for throttle and shifter. Also I am looking for a flame arrestor for a Mercruiser Quadrajet if anybody happens to have one that they are willing to sell please let me know.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2017 at 7:29am

Update.... Just got to figure out this alternator wiring or order a one wire alternator.
Also I am looking for a flame arrestor for a Mercruiser Quadrajet if anybody happens to have one that they are willing to sell please let me know.

Did you contact the folks in San Diego about the alternator yet?? Nothing simpler than a one wire hookup.
If a Holley style ( 5" neck ) will fit then I have this one. $25 + shpg.     Duane
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2017 at 9:35am
Duane in Indy

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get my buddy in Baltimore to send me one it will be here in a few days. And also I think I'm just going to go ahead and go with a one wire alternator.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2017 at 9:08am
Update. Got the steering all hooked up and straightened out my rudder. That's the good news the bad news is I was running it yesterday and I think I spun a rod bearing in the lower end. Luckily enough the engine is easy enough to pull out only 5 wires one fuel hose 1 water hose two hoses for exhaust. Probably going to yank it out and replace all connecting rod bearings and crankshaft bearings and the oil pump maybe this weekend hopefully if I can get the parts in time.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2017 at 9:44am

Update. Probably going to yank it out and replace all connecting rod bearings and crankshaft bearings

And the crankshaft!!!!!!!
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2017 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Update. Probably going to yank it out and replace all connecting rod bearings and crankshaft bearings

And the crankshaft!!!!!!!

Depends on how it looks. Hopefully it's not scored up its only spun for a few seconds
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2017 at 11:27am

Hopefully it's not scored up its only spun for a few seconds

So what were the symptoms that lead you to believe you spun a bearing in only seconds of diagnosis??
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2017 at 1:28pm
I was setting the timing at 8 degrees at idle and read it up a couple times to check Max advancement. So get up to about 3500 RPMs then started to hear a slight squealing noise with some rapping coming from the bottom end. I looked over to see what my oil pressure was and it was only at 5 PSI. So all-in-all sounds like oil pump failure then wiped out bearings
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2017 at 2:12pm
Hope it's not a main bearing. Cranks are fixable.
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2017 at 5:27pm
Yea I know lucky enoff the parts for the 283 are dirt cheep. I just need to put it under a tree and pull it to see what happend

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2017 at 7:13pm
Have not had a chance to pull the engine out yet. Just found a buddies born then I can do it in. I tried to register the trailer today and having issues because I cannot find a VIN number on the trailer in the prior owner had no information on it. Also the tag that is on it does not belong to the Venture trailer. Kind of baffled on what to do now.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2017 at 7:39pm
If there is a # it will be up by the coupler. Might have been painted over. You can try registering it as homemade
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2017 at 10:31pm
Yea I looked all over for it and found nothing.... gonna need to go back to the dmv and try for a homemade

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2017 at 2:02pm
OK so the last few days where interesting. I belt a Gentry crane remove the engine check all bearings and I found 1 connecting rod bearing that was wiped but not spun. All main bearings are fine. I replaced all the connecting rod bearings and Polished the journal with the bad bearing. I then put it all back together put it back in the boat and it was still making the noise. so now that I knew that I did not spin a bearing I let it run a little bit longer and found that the noise was coming from the timing chain cover. So this morning I pulled the harmonic balancer and the cover to find all three bolts on the camshaft COG to be loose and hitting the timing chain cover. I put it back together with blue Loctite new gaskets and fired it up and it runs great now. At least I know the lower-end has good bearings now and a new oil pump and screen so this engine should be pretty sweet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 12:11pm
So the boat is running like a champ. I set the valves yesterday and reset the timeing, hooked up throttle and shifter linkage. New altinater is installed and charging. I need to wire up the bilge pump and blower then I'm ready for the water. Plan is to put it inn the water tonight or tomorrow for a test run and if all gose well then boating all weekend.... also I was able to get the trailer in the boat registered yesterday..... still no front seats so milk crates will do for now.
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 5:34pm
Are you going to run it in Mousam? I just got up here and plan on putting the dock in tomorrow since it is suppose to be 90 out. Doesn't look like the markers are in yet. If you are launching it in Mousam and have not been out there go online and look at a map. It's a little tricky out there.. again I'm in carpenters cove the every top of the lake. I'm in wooded patch with the new stairs and deck in the trees and a green canoe on the dock and/or pile of dock pieces.   Feel free to pm me if you want my cell # if you need assistance if something arises.. can't wait to here it pass by..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 8:47pm
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 9:06pm
Yep, Acton trading post on lower Mousam. Filling up the glass of wine and going to the lower deck. Maybe a can catch a photo or two.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 6789>
  Share Topic