Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spark Plugs

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
leftseat88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leftseat88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spark Plugs
    Posted: September-17-2016 at 12:22am
Evening All,
Time to replace the spark plugs on my 96 Sport. GT-40 EFI is what type of motor I have. Anyone have a suggestion of spark plug brand? Also what is the correct gap and will I have to adjust them out of the box?
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 12:41am
Hi I would install Ford Motorcraft brand spark plugs. They make the motor and they will have the exact plug not an almost right plug. The part number in the book is R030007 this must be a PCM #

FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 3:42am
You want Autolite 764. The Owners Manual under the section "Specifications" calls for Motorcraft AWSF22. Under Note #7 it calls for Autolite 763 if the Motorcraft AWSF22 is not available. The Autolite 763 has now been replaced with Autolite 764.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 10:52am
Gap is .045.

When is bought the Autolite 764s for my boat the were pre gapped at .045. got them from amazon pretty cheap.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2018 at 4:37pm
I'm bringing this back up because I'm a bit confused as to which plug is the proper one for my 351/GT-40. The owner's manual calls for several different plugs depending on engine model number. My model # is PLPPRR12EFI. The manual calls for the 14mm ASF32M in Model #s PL & RD and for the AWSF22 in Model #s PL & RP. It also calls for an 18mm Motorcraft BRF3M or Autolite BTF3M as well but doesn't appear to differentiate which model numbers take the 18mm plug.

Additionally, I am considering replacing my plug wires. Is it best to just stick with OEM replacements or is there an aftermarket upgrade that anyone has specific experience with and would recommend?
'96 Ski Nautique
'90 Boston Whaler Montauk
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2018 at 5:47pm
You could buy one of each and see what fits.

One will be too short, one will be too big in diameter and one will be just the right length and diameter

A GT-40 takes Autolite 764 or any other brand you want to cross reference it to.

The gap should be .045 inches for a fuel injected gt-40

A search here on CCF will come up with the 764 numerous times.
Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2018 at 6:40pm
I noted in the previous posts that the AL 764 was mentioned as the replacement for the 763 which is what my manual calls for as the replacement for the AWSF22. What my manual doesn't clarify (at least as far as I can interpret) is does my engine require the AWSF22 (764), the ASF32M (AL 303 or 3303) or the other 18mm plugs listed.

So just to clarify, if it's a GT-40, it requires the AWSF22 / Autolite 764 regardless of engine model number?
'96 Ski Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2018 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Terp Terp wrote:

So just to clarify, if it's a GT-40, it requires the AWSF22 / Autolite 764 regardless of engine model number?

Yes

The GT40 (and GT40p) heads have a different thread arrangement for the plug holes than any of the earlier Small Block Ford heads, that's why the 764 style plug is used..
Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2018 at 10:48pm
Thank you KENO!
'96 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic