NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1972 SN Promo Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 13>
Author
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2017 at 11:04pm
I love the commentary.

All that work will be worth it in the end. She's coming along nicely.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2017 at 12:17am
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

2. A pre-filter for the shop-vac would have been a good idea. I emptied my vac 3 times over the day and had to shake the filter out every 10min of use.

Hey Chris a number of years ago one of the guy's,vondy, was restringing his HM powered Mustang and used one of theseif you can fit it into the budget. I remember him saying it worked great
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2017 at 12:24am
Here'sone on ebay 54 bucks shipped. Don't know what they get for them at Menards or Ace

This one might be better you do need something to catch the dust into
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2017 at 12:35am
49.99 ar Menards or Ace
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2017 at 6:53am
Quinner you can borrow mine. I have a Makita variable speed polisher and some 3M gel compound. We can get over to Jerry's outside when we take the boats out. We won't want to do that inside his building. The stuff flings everywhere.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2017 at 9:29am
So Chris, I'm getting the impression you didn't enjoy the grinding? Hard to tell.

If you put a name on the boat, I'd take the line from your video:

QUESTIONABLE LIFE CHOICE
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2017 at 11:39am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

So Chris, I'm getting the impression you didn't enjoy the grinding? Hard to tell.

If you put a name on the boat, I'd take the line from your video:

QUESTIONABLE LIFE CHOICE

Hahaha. My girlfriend would agree with that all day. "why do you needs two boats?"
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2017 at 11:55am
Thanks Gary. They sell them locally here. I might take a drive over to Menards and see what these all entail.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2017 at 4:09pm
there are several do it yourself bucket type cyclones as well.... just a couple of PVC fittings and a 5 gal bucket with a screw lid will go a long way saving your vacuum filters.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2017 at 9:14pm
Just got back from a ski trip in Breckenridge and I got a call from my machine shop. They tested 2 shafts for runout (one for the promo and one for the 176). I guess I didn't trust the guy since he gave me several different stories over 3 phone calls, so I decided to set up my own test bench to check his findings.

Here's the 176 shaft on the bench.

Link to video
1999 Ski Nautique 196
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2017 at 10:08pm
Nice job on that video. I would hate to guess what my old Marauder shaft would run out!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2017 at 10:30pm
Did you tune the length or just order another stock length?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2017 at 10:43pm
The bed in there is a bit creepy
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2017 at 11:08pm
I'll say. I can't figure out if he has a workbench in his room or if he lives in the garage!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2017 at 12:41am
Tim I ended up going with the stock length for the 176 because Randy at SkiDim had them in stock. When I inquired about changing the length his reply didn't inspire confidence. I didn't think the risk was worth the reward since the tolerance was close to an inch anyway.

Gary and HW are just odd folk. People see what they want to see. If you have an interest in carbs, you'd see the AFB. If you have a background in machining, you'd mostly likely notice the vice. What does that say for the guys that see a bed?
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2017 at 12:16pm
Did you order an ARE?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2017 at 1:14pm
I did. $405 shipped including a 10% discount.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2017 at 1:35pm
Is Randy a woman?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2017 at 2:23pm
I like randy women
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2017 at 7:58pm
So it has been a while since I posted a video of the promo progress. The reason for this is because grinding fiberglass for days at a time makes for very boring video. so instead here are a few pics from the process.

This was the first side that I attempted. I really took my time here because I was nervous about grinding too deep.

Word of caution, as I rounded the corner I began grinding the sidewalls that were covered with broken old gelcoat. As TB points out, that stuff is really hard to recreate and I Probably shouldn't have taken it off. I guess my only option now is to try to find a gel shop that can recreate it. If anyone knows of a good gel place in the Milwaukee/Chicago area please let me know.

I know it was mentioned several times, but this pre-filter was worth every penny. This thing was $50 and filters the fiberglass into the bucket instead of into your shop vac. I was having to empty and shake my vac every 5 mins before installing this dream.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to grind this area since the stringer glass wont be bonding here. Should I just take a layer off to get the loose material off? I know that I need to grind the lifting ring bracket out.

While crawling on the floor for hours on end, I noticed that the pylon has a crack in the sidewall. My first preference dealing with this is to replace the entire thing. If anyone has a 72-73 pylon they want to sell for the cause please let me know. The next option is to get it to Morfoot's guy to have it welded (once I get it out of the boat).

Today I made it almost back to the transom. I forgot to take a picture but the material around the strut hardware and rudder port is very thick. It took a lot of grinding to make a dent back there.

I'm hoping to have the big grinding done in the next week or two. The weather is staring to warm up which actually makes this job even worse than it was before. I was overheating within minutes of donning my suit and respirator today. I'm really looking forward to the day I can wash this tub out and not be itchy for 3 days after working on it.

chris
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2017 at 1:00am
Looking Great !!!!!!! I would try to weld up that pylon being it is so low toward the floor. I also would go ahead and clean up that bow glass since you have done such a great job on the rest. You will have to work around the lifting ring mount so you might as well go all of the way.

JMO
Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2017 at 2:01am
Chris,
Try Al's pro fiberglass out of Whitewater. He did work for us, turned out great. Good guy.

Kurt
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2017 at 5:55am
I would definitely replace the strap iron that is the lift bracket. Not far from being removed now. That takes all the doubt out of it when you pick the boat up again . Just bed the new one in good to the hull and cover with several overlapping layers of glass mat or cloth.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2017 at 9:09am
I think you're right Donald. As much as I hate the idea of crawling in there, I guess I'll just get it over with asap.

Thanks for the recommendation Kurt! Those guys sound legit and I'll give them a call at some point to see what they think. I have a ton of small spots on the hull that need touching up with gel as well.

Duane, I have some hardware that I was going ask you about. The rudder, strut, and one tracking gun are bent. If I sent them your way would you be able to get them aligned or should I just replace? The strut is off by .1" and the other two are bent 8-10 degrees. I can't post pics once I get back to my home pc.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2017 at 9:18am

Duane, I have some hardware that I was going ask you about. The rudder, strut, and one tracking gun are bent. If I sent them your way would you be able to get them aligned or should I just replace? The strut is off by .1" and the other two are bent 8-10 degrees. I can't post pics once I get back to my home pc.

Northside prop shop N49W34652 Wisconsin Ave Okauchee, WI 53069 for straightening.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2017 at 11:02am
Dillon at All Marine in Cary, Ill is very good with Gel and Matching colors.
Used Al.s in whitewater for a couple things also, he does very nice work.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2017 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Northside prop shop N49W34652 Wisconsin Ave Okauchee, WI 53069 for straightening.

OUCH, Duane
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2017 at 8:53pm
Al got kicked out of Whitewater I think he's in Woodstock IL now.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2017 at 9:29pm
HW--what about Fox Lake Propellor? They've fixed props for me more than I'd like to admit. I'd think they could align fins and cutlasses.

I don't know but figure you might.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 1:49am
Here we go boys. I finished the last bit of grinding this week. Good god that was terrible right to the end and I'm glad its done.

There are a few items that I would like to mention that were really helpful for the grind.

1. Get a diamond wheel for $40 instead of using a million flap disks

2. HW told me about these ZEC flexible sanding disks. I used the diamond wheel on the big stuff but these work amazingly well when precision is needed. ZEC Disk I went through hell to find them but NOW they offer them on ebay. I used the 36 grit (by recommendation) and it left a nice finish.

3. Get yourself a 3M Particulate Respirator and a few extra cartridges. This is some nasty stuff that will do serious harm if you breath it.

4. Set aside a specific set of clothes for the grind. I kept mine (including shoes) in a garbage bag and washed them by hand in a bucket with warm soapy water after each use. You don't want to crawl in a car or forget which clothes are imbedded with glass fiber.

5. My little Ridged shop-vack was a hero. I had this thing running every single second of this project. Sometimes the glass dust got so thick I thought it would choke the electric motor. Not the case. This thing was tough but ONLY when combined with the Dust Deputy. Without the pre-filter, the vac would clog every 5 minutes and need to be shaken furiously until it would suck again. JUST BUY ONE.

6. The MVP of the show was my little Makita Grinder. This thing wouldn't quit. I abused it in every capacity. I never put a filter on the outside, I never cleaned or dusted it, I left it out in the rain, and I worked so long that it started getting hot. I did every square inch of grinding with this little 4 1/2" monster. Last night I took it apart and treated it to a vacuum and oil bath. After shaking 1/16th of the boat out of the crevasses, she looks like a brand new tool.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice! I'm really looking forward to the CONSTRUCTION phase of the project!!!

Chris
1999 Ski Nautique 196
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 13>
  Share Topic