NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1963 Correct Craft value

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2016 at 1:21pm
Very nice boat. Is it painted? If you're going to pay someone to look at it, make sure they are knowledgeable with Correct Crafts.
tcap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2016 at 1:46pm
The bottom was painted to match the top with a 2 part epoxy.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2016 at 1:48pm
It's a really nice looking boat.
relake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2016 at 3:59pm
Great looking ride, very well taken care of from the looks of the pictures!
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2016 at 4:46pm
is that an OEM windshield?

Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
tcap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2016 at 6:28pm
The owner thought it may have been replaced at some time.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2016 at 6:29pm
David,
As others have mentioned, it is a great looking boat. Whoever did the work on it did take some liberties from how it came from the factory like the trim on the gunnels and dash but nothing real major. We've seen some major modifications!!! You may already know but I'd like to warn you the seller will probably want way more for it than what it's worth. Many will try to recoup restoration expenses which can be way over the actual value. In the antique and classic boat market, very few bring high dollars. I've seen people fall in love with a boat, pay high dollars and then get stuck with it when they try to sell it. Without an actual inspection and not knowing exactly what work was done, I would value the boat no more than 5K. If you have any plans on showing the boat, do so but not in a official ASBS judged category. It still would be a crowd pleaser.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tcap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2016 at 6:54pm
Thank you for your thoughts on this . We are looking at this as a 2nd boat for my son to use and also to ski with. Not for show. I am still interested in it but will be also looking for something that may fit him better as he is 5'11" and this may be a bit on the small side for him. He's running a 13 Whaler now.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2016 at 7:40pm
How old is your son?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2016 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by tcap tcap wrote:

. He's running a 13 Whaler now.

David,
When I was running around in my early days of boating, I had a couple friends who had the 13's. One had a Merc 50 on it at needless to say, it was quite the ride. I'd suggest keeping him in the Whaler! Get him a new outboard for it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tcap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2016 at 7:49pm
Ya but the whaler is getting a bit small and believe me the ride is horrible..
tcap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2016 at 7:49pm
Oh and you cant ski from it..
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2016 at 7:54pm
13' whaler is a fun little boat. I've been double barefooting behind one. Who says you can't ski behind one? It may be faster (with a 35-40hp) than a 4cyl correct craft. The rough water ride is not very good in either boat.

I'd hold out for a V8 if you're wanting to ski. Depending on the condition of your whaler, there's a good chance you'll break even on the swap.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2016 at 8:10pm
I own pretty much the same boat, not sure which model the one you are looking at is but it's the same 16 ft. hull I have. Mine has a 130 HP V6 in it. Here's some thoughts from a long time user of the boat.

I bought it before I was 20, can't remember if I was 18 or 19. I was at that time 6'2" and maybe 175. I skied all the time with family and friends on outboards, usually just 70's. The inboard was maybe the most exciting purchase of my life, all of a sudden we had more power than we could handle, plus the sound and look of the boat were so cool. Our slalom skills instantly improved and we weren't running WOT all the time so we actually had power to spare when we wanted more. The boat you are looking at has less power, would be lacking for slalom skiing or even pulling people of moderate size, like Tim said you'd want more power.

Anyway, going from a Whaler 13 to an inboard classic is a quantum leap. Need to hear how old he is for better advice, but the boat would make him the coolest kid around.

The drawbacks, from a modern water sports perspective - the boat is small, not much room for gear. We made it work, but fills up quickly. A move up to an '80's vintage 2001 model gives MUCH more room and better versatility for multiple uses.

Hope this helps! Ask away if any more questions.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2016 at 8:21pm
+1 on a SN2001.

The subject boat is very nice but functionally a 2001 would be more versatile.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
tcap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2016 at 8:50pm
15 yrs old
tcap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2016 at 8:55pm
This is a 16 ' with a 6cyl gray marine . Si that the same? Also are you comfortable in the boat with your height? He is 5'11" -6' 195
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2016 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by tcap tcap wrote:

This is a 16 ' with a 6cyl gray marine . Si that the same? Also are you comfortable in the boat with your height? He is 5'11" -6' 195

David,
David's (63skier) hull is the same but has the V8. That 6 gray would be pretty lethargic for skiing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tcap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2016 at 9:29pm
Thanks for the info.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2016 at 9:48pm
Big boy for 15. I'm the same size and find the 16' boats pretty comfortable.

What's the hp rating on the gray? I assume 100hp at most?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2016 at 10:00pm
For the same money or maybe even less than that boat will probably go for, you could get a 1970's Ski Tique which will be better for skiing and your son will probably like a whole lot more.

The boat in my avatar is pretty much the same boat as your looking at. It has a 100 hp straight 6 and is good for trick skiing or double skis. Definitely not an even beginner slalom boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2016 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

The boat in my avatar is pretty much the same boat as your looking at. It has a 100 hp straight 6 .

David,
I'd like to add that Bruce has the Ford/Interceptor straight 6 which is a lot lighter than the Continental/Gray 6 that's in the 63. Weight is a small hull will make a pretty big difference. .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2016 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

David's (63skier) hull is the same but has the V8. That 6 gray would be pretty lethargic for skiing.

Mine has the Buick Sabre V6, not a V8.

And to clarify my earlier post about slalom - when I described how much slalom we did and how much power the boat has, it's in the prism of prior skiing off low powered outboards and early 1980's. Later at 190 lbs and a few years older I was pulling that boat around quite a bit. Your son is a big kid, he would definitely benefit from V8 power over 200 HP.

I like Bruce's idea of a '70's Tique. Inexpensive, a bit more modern with V8 power, still a very cool classic.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2016 at 11:04am
If your intent is to find him a ski boat for $5k this is a pretty poor choice.. Get a Ski Tique with a V8 like Riley said.
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2016 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

If your intent is to find him a ski boat for $5k this is a pretty poor choice.. Get a Ski Tique with a V8 like Riley said.

Agreed.

There are ton of options.

If you like the 60's look you could look for a 65-69 Ski Nautique as well.

I also think a Barracuda offers more room as well.

I wouldn't go any bigger then the 19-20ft.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
tcap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2016 at 3:58pm
Thanks Im trying to stay at about 16' due to dock space.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2016 at 4:14pm
Ski tique is 16 feet and a very functional little ski tug.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic