Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reverse Grumble

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tempest89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reverse Grumble
    Posted: June-27-2006 at 10:24pm
I went and looked at an 85 2001 tonight and when you put the boat in reverse it seemed to make a grinding or grumbling sound and it vibrated a little. I lifted the engine cover and it did not appear to be coming from the velvet drive. It sounded more like the prop was loose and or the shaft was moving in and out in reverse. But when we got the boat back up on the trailer it did not have any end play at all in the shaft or the prop. The only thing I found was that the rudder was a little wobbly but not much and the prop was a little nicked up but again not very much. The only thing I could think of was the sleeve that hold's the shaft on the underside just before the prop has some issue but again there was no movement and there was no visible sign's of damage.I have taken a velvet drive out and replaced the flex plate before but I have never had to do any overhauling on one before. Are they really complicted and if so does anyone know how much a used one should cost?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2006 at 6:47am
Poor idle quality will make the driveline clank and sound like its comming apart.

If it doesn't go away with a little throttle, something could be amiss, but the reverse planetary wil always growl.

No, If you have enough of the 'nack' to remove a tranny, you have enough to rebuild one. Complete overhaul and flex plate for under $500 is typical.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
tempest89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2006 at 3:23pm
It only got worse the more throttle I gave it. My thing is I would almost swear it was not coming from the tranny because when I opened the engine cover it should have gotten louder and instead it sounded like it was quieter because the noise of the engine was drowning it out more. I really was surprised to see that there was no end play in the shaft or prop. Is there a bearing behind the drive shaft seal?
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2006 at 9:22am
If you can still access the boat, take a long screw driver or a peice of rebar and listen to the trans.

Put one end on the tranny, put the knuckle of your thumb over the other end and stick your knuckle in your ear.

You can hear inside the trans. Move the end on the tranny around to listen diferent parts of the trans. You might be able to determine conclusively if the noise is coming from the tranny or not.

Of coarse, be careful of moving parts while doing this.
tempest89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2006 at 8:36pm
I am almost 100 percent sure the noise was not coming from the tranny. The problem is there is no where else that it could be coming from as far as I can tell.
trikeaholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikeaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2006 at 7:57am
when I put on an ACME 540, suddelny there was no wierd reverse noises. I bet its just prop noise.

mine did the exact same thing, it was a little scary but in forward it worked perfect so I ignored it. the 540 prop makes no noise in reverse. those old props are no good.
1980 Ski Nautique
Ithaca NY
My Boat
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic