Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SkiNaughty95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiNaughty95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer
    Posted: November-04-2016 at 11:18pm
Hello!

just recently bought a 95 Ski Nautique and had some questions about the trailer. It came with the stock Ram-Lin trailer with the turnbuckle. I was wondering if i could install a winch in the place of the turnbuckle. If anyone has replaced it let me know thanks everyone!

Paczesny
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2016 at 12:41am
People have definitely installed winches, see if a search brings up some threads. There are a variety of trailer restoration threads. I continue to use the turnbuckle, but I get it that at some ramps cranking the boat up is easier.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2016 at 9:52am
At my local ramp, I need to back the trailer deep in order to set the bow of the boat in the crash pad, which leaves the boat floating above the fenders. My boat will then land on the fenders if left to itself when pulling out. If I don't back deep enough, then approaching the trailer with speed and power loading is the only option, Since power loading is a felony at my local ramp, my solution is to stand in the water and guide the boat down into the bunks in between the fenders, hoping my toes don"t get mashed in the process. In a usual year, the boat gets hauled only once.

I have never found a thread on the topic, so I have looked a pictures on the web of trailers with winches and the trailer of a local friend who has a good welder friend. The Ramlin and retrofit approach seems to be to cut square holes on the front and back side of the post, attach the winch on the car side of the post and run the strap through the holes at the level of bow eye. I have never explored the cost of the retrofit vs. buying a winch post from Ramlin if it is even available.
Jim
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2016 at 10:23am
Jim,
Try a Google search since it seems to work better than the sites. I'd say there are close to 20 threads on trailer winches. If you do add a winch, I highly recommend mounting it higher than the bow eye on the boat. This will pull the forward end of the boat higher to better match the angle of the trailer sitting in the water. Also, I find that the addition of a keel roller on the trailer just aft of the stem of the boat will also bring the bow higher to match the angle of the trailer better. You should not have to set your trailer with the fenders below the water level.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2016 at 8:29pm
This is the best trailer set up I have seen. This came with my boat. It is well built with a clean design. The guide poles at the rear of the trailer are a must. The only issue I had with the trailer was the guide poles from the factory were only about 8 in. taller than the rub rail. When you backed the trailer in the water the top of the poles were below the rub rails, thus not doing their job. I had some 1.5 in. pipe from another project and cut new poles 10 in. longer than the originals. Placed the PVC rolling pipe back on the guide poles and now it is better than new.

JD ski, slicing, dicing, and shredding since 1981

1999 Air Nautique, GT40 Pro Boss, Trail Rite trailer
1975 Century Resorter
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2016 at 3:01am
What I forgot to mention is find a local welding shop/fabrication shop or marine shop and show them a photo of what you would like done or explain in detail. Any fabricator will not have a problem converting this for you. I would recommend having the fabricator make all of the measurements with the boat on the trailer. Then put the boat in the water and return the trailer to the shop to have the work done. This work should not take more than a few hours at most so you would be able to return to pick up the boat in the same day if coordinated well.

1975 Century Resorter
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2016 at 11:52am
Marty Mabe, change out his crash pads on his 93 for a newer year that had the crash pads with the wench. A dealer or someone had one that he picked up so he has the best of both worlds on his Ramlin. You may want to try to contact him. He is found under decal selling threads.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2016 at 9:08pm

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2016 at 10:03pm
The metal edges of the slot don't fray the winch strap? Neat setup!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2016 at 10:37pm
nice car in the background JD....280Z?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2016 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

nice car in the background JD....280Z?

john

Thank you, to check out the Z car google JD310z.

1975 Century Resorter
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2016 at 1:12am
my sister had a 240Z. Very cool car. Man they were awesome for their time....nuthin like it on the road!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2016 at 4:11pm
I too noticed the Z in the back ground    I sold a 69 2ooo roadster a couple of years back.   I miss that thing being in the garage, but am glad someone is likely using it more than I was.   a lot of the fun was in the building stage.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic