NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Original Correct Craft Molds

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Original Correct Craft Molds
    Posted: June-29-2006 at 2:33pm
Does anyone know what Correct Craft does with the molds of previous years boats? I've never been to CC Inc. in Orlando. That would be a question that I'd ask on the tour. It would be cool for Correct Craft to make limited production of various boats from the past with upgraded engines, transmissions and electrical. Just like Ford brought back the old school look of the Mustang. I would be first on the list for the 1980 style Nautique. Drop a 375HP, fuel injected engine in there, dual exhaust. Correct Craft needs to step out of the box try something different, in my opinion. Who's in charge there?

Ken
coreytread View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreytread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2006 at 4:20pm
Sounds like a great idea, maybe you should be in charge.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2006 at 4:31pm
Ken: I love your idea and agree with corey, you maybe should be in charge. Really tho, I believe they destroy the mold at the end of the run. At the "factory" in Orlando they sure don't have the room to store stuff. If you could see the old factory on Orange Av you would never believe these beautiful boats come from there. They are in the process of building a new modern facility. Read that; more costly, not as nice, as always.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2006 at 5:00pm
That would be an awesome idea. I'd take a 77-79 era look with all the modern conveniences- EFI, all fiberglass, IsoDamp, etc. Can't beat that hand-painted SKI NAUTIQUE in giant letters. They would sell like hotcakes.
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2006 at 5:01pm
I would like to see them take a 2001 hull and make it a V-drive. Market it as a budget wakeboard boat. I would definetly be interested at the right price.

I think your idea would be a great way to celebrate and anniversery.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2006 at 5:54pm
OK, sounds like we're all on the same page. We would really need the capture the attention of Correct Craft Marketing. Hey, MasterCraft came out with an anniversary Stars and Stripes some years ago. The only thing is that it was a new style with Stars and Stripes graphics.

With all the changes at CC Inc. in regards to management, you'd think they'd look for new ideas besides changing graphics. I don't think it would cost a lot of money to reproduce a limited number of older style hulls with new technology. I believe if they made 200 of each style change Nautiques, they'd sell. Plus, make them at a "reasonable" cost. Example, maybe the Ski Nautique 2001 hull with new power plant would cost $25,000. Have a carb and FI option. I just remembered how much I love watching NFL teams with throw-back uniforms. This idea is no different. Anyway, this is exactly the way things start. I have NO IDEA what it would take to get somebody at CC Inc. to buy into this. I can see my 2007, "1980" Nautique already....Gray hull, black graphics, 375HP power plant, deluxe interior, 200 watt stereo system, dual exhaust, chrome instruments, etc.
Price tag only $20,000.

Ken

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreytread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2006 at 6:48pm
To get a brand new CC at onlyt 20k would be amazing if we even could get them to speak with us the boats would be 45k minimum. I think the new ones have way too many bells and whistles and are over priced. I will be interested to see how many hang around 30 years like our boats. I took mine to an upholstery shop today and he was amazed by the craftsmanship, he said he just finished doing a early ninties model brendela and the fiberglass was half as thick.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2006 at 6:57pm
How about the scoop style motor cover from the 60's...I need one! Where is the mold for that?
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2006 at 12:39am
Hey, I've got a 66 Mustang hull, I would give away free, just to get it out of my yard. Some ambitious individual could use it for a plug to make a mold.   Hurry, before my wife makes me cut the bottom off at the water line, and plants flowers in it.    AT
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2006 at 7:57am
Jbear, They are actually dedicating the opening of the new factory today. Bold move in my eyes, they must have big plans for the future
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2006 at 3:19pm
Alan; Can't believe we havn't heard anything about the opening down here. Would've gone if I wasn't leaving for Tennessee tonite. Gotta go there for the tour when we return.

You guys have a cool time at GL. Take lots of pics to share with those of us who couldn't make it. You guys are gonna have an awesome and ROCK!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2006 at 3:45pm
Jbear, I stumbled on that info. I was calling Greg Maloon to go over final details for Green lake and was told thats where he was for the weekend.

There's more of that type of info posted on the "other" nautique site and I don't spend as much time there as I do here so I'm sometimes out of the loop.

You have a great time in TN.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2006 at 3:56pm
Ok....I never go there either.... Boats to big, new, and stereos to loud. Should've been posted on our site as well....Not sure that the C/C guys like us "old" boat guys as much as todays new skiers. They are buying 40K boats and we are trying to keep our old ones running......Just my .02 worth.

Have fun....talk to ya in a month.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2006 at 9:07pm
I wonder if CC would license the design to a third party? As many know, it's possible to make a mold off an existing hull without destroying it by using a ton of mold release. You wouldn't actually need the originals. In fact, it might be legal to make an exact copy of the hull and sell it as long as you didn't market it as a Correct Craft. I once had a job "reverse engineering" replacement parts for X-ray machines, and that's exactly what we did: take the thing apart, copy the design EXACTLY in our CAD system, then build our own.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreytread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2006 at 1:33am
I am game for that we should get a couple guys together and start our own company, Ive got about a year left and Ill have my degree in industrial technology. I would be all over it..
trikeaholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikeaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2006 at 7:42am
Originally posted by coreytread coreytread wrote:

I am game for that we should get a couple guys together and start our own company, Ive got about a year left and Ill have my degree in industrial technology. I would be all over it..

I am in! Been thinking about this too. Moomba HAD a good idea with the "budget inboard" but the first ones out were so darn ugly. I would have to say the 2001 hull would be the way to go.
1980 Ski Nautique
Ithaca NY
My Boat
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2006 at 8:05am
Originally posted by dchris17 dchris17 wrote:

You wouldn't actually need the originals. In fact, it might be legal to make an exact copy of the hull and sell it as long as you didn't market it as a Correct Craft. I once had a job "reverse engineering" replacement parts for X-ray machines, and that's exactly what we did: take the thing apart, copy the design EXACTLY in our CAD system, then build our own.

dchris,
That's what the Chinese do, I think it's called stealing
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2006 at 9:40am
Stealing, reverse engineering, whatever it's called, it's a time-honored practice small compet*tors use to get in a marketplace. In this case, it's a little different because CC doesn't seem interested in the $20k boat market. You wouldn't be stealing CC customers the way Sony drove American TV & VCRS out of the marketplace, you'd be competing with companies like Centurion and Bayliner, who make crappy boats for the uninformed.

So what's the benefit of the V-drive anyway? Why not stick with the straight inboard? Does it turn people off? Could you take the 2001 hull and make it open bow?

How much would it cost to make the molds and the first boat? I think there are several improvements that would be needed:
  • Eliminate all wood
  • Ballast system?
  • Cruise control (not perfect pass, but still good for boarding)
  • Depth sounder
  • Open bow
  • Wakeboard tower

If someone is really serious about building this, they should incorporate, put together a business plan, and sell some private stock to us fanatics.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
SS-201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS-201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2006 at 4:46pm
A interesting trivia the older glass first hulls 1961 was purchased from a builder in Miami. The boat was a outboard converted to inboard by CC.

SS 201
hotfish172 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotfish172 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2006 at 2:06am
Perhaps the factory might not think we are that interested in buying new boats but I can tell you from experience that I have had fantastic responses from any inquiry that I have made regarding my Fish Nautique. In fact, after I bought my boat I was interested in getting a copy of any manual available and called the factory... They sent me a copy at no charge! Also, I have spoken to the guys at Southeastern Correct Craft who have helped me out many, many times. If you have any tec questions, call "Art" or Woody" at SE CC and they will help you. These guys have worked at CC for 35 years each and know everything!    
MarkNConnie
XFooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2006 at 12:08pm
I totally agree with M3Fan.

Bring back the '78-'79 era Ski Tique, American Skier, Mustang & Ski Nautique with the original big bold lettering (ex. http://www.correctcraftfan.com/reference/1979_brochure/)! Built with all the latest construction techniques and materials of course. Oh yeah and with dual exhaust.
XFooter
Lake Pleasant/Speculator, NY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreytread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2006 at 9:56pm
Duals with no silencers!!!!!!!!!!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2006 at 10:26am
Sounds like we need to contact CC. Inc. marketing dept. and engineers to get our boats made! They can start by making one boat, example a 1980. Make the 1980 hull, graphics, trailer, etc. CC Inc. can market and advertise to see what sort of interest is there, then determine approx. how many to make. If a 1980 cost about $11,000 - $12,000 new in 1980, what should it cost now? I would push to keep the cost down because of the simplicity of the boat.

Ken
trikeaholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikeaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2006 at 1:18pm
according to the invoice for a 78 in the diary section the price was around $8000. Im guessing around the same for an 80-82. probably the first 2001 listed out at $9999-10999?
1980 Ski Nautique
Ithaca NY
My Boat
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2006 at 1:32pm
Hey, what do we have to lose? New marketing people at CC Inc. looking for ideas. To me, this is pretty simple. I know they'd profit from it. There's nothing wrong with stepping out of the box. Why wouldn't you back you product that was so successful then and even more now! Nothing will ever replace the original, but I know folks would enjoy seeing a flash from the past with new technology. Got to love the new Ford Mustang GT's. I love classic looking cars and boats. Who wouldn't love the classic wake of older Correct Craft boats for half the price of a new one?

Ken
XFooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2006 at 1:49pm
Is anyone at Correct Craft listening?
XFooter
Lake Pleasant/Speculator, NY
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2006 at 1:58pm
Let's get more input on this topic and I will forward this thread to CC Inc. for the heck of it. We'll take a stand here at CCF.com!

Did I already mention that the 1980 style would have 385HP? Now that's a hot rod! The 2001 hull will get the 8.1, 425 Python power plant, four blade prop. We'll pass all the compet*tion. Just imagine!

Ken
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 9:31am
I'm all for the old school remake but how stupid would they look with a handful of these boats sitting in lots w/o actual buyers?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 11:13am
Special order from factory would be my solution. Each dealer could have one or two on hand for demos. This would avoid over-stock.
great78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote great78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 12:19pm
Man, it's amazing what pops up when you start thinking of all the possibilities. From a marketing standpoint though, I think the numbers would come from an entry level product as previously mentioned. Basic power train and few features is what has made these boats so popular. But they have the capabilities of the higher end models. Many companies have an entry level product with the same ID as the more expensive versions. It's an excellent way to create future buyers of the big buck stuff. Makes more sense to offer an low end model than to cheapen up the main line models!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic