Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1999 196 Driver seat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1999 196 Driver seat
    Posted: November-19-2016 at 10:35pm
Haven't logged on for a number of years but routinely stop by to read posts.

After owning for 33 years, this past July I upgraded from a 1981 SN to a 1999 196 SN with the Python engine option and 295 hours on the clock.

My question is about the drivers seat. The seat angle while driving the boat makes me feel like I'm sitting in a recliner. After 20-30 minutes of dragging skiers around, my back is hurting from trying to sit up straight.   It's bad enough that I'm wishing I still had my 81 when I'm driving the 196.

I saw a fiberglass seat base for sale maybe on NP with the taller part of the base to the back. I know the pic doesn't mean it would be mounted that way but it got me to wondering if PO reversed the fiberglass base for his liking. The tall part of the base faces forward on mine. If the smaller end was forward, I think this would fix the problem. Don't know of any around here to look at.

Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1981 - SN Owned 33 years - Sold
1968 - Mustang - Sold

JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2016 at 7:02pm
My 1999 Air has the lower portion of the base at the back of the seat also, so, I would assume that is stock. However, what I found with mine was the seat would not adjust forward very much, only two notches from the back. This did not seem right so I got down on the deck and looked around. What I found was that the previous owner had bent the seat rails. This was done while the seat was in the all the way back position. This appears to be a weak area as the rails are unsupported in this position. The rails bent in a downward fashion angling the seat back in a semi reclining position.

I took the seat base apart. Straightened the seat rails. Placed a touch of lube on the rails and reassembled the seat base. Now, the seat has the full travel of the adjustment and the seat does not have such a reclining position. After looking at the design of this seat rail I am sure I am not the only person who has ran into this problem. You may want to take a look at your seat rails to see if this is what may be causing your situation. A couple wrenches and a hammer is all it takes to remove the seat and straighten out the rails.
JD ski, slicing, dicing, and shredding since 1981

1999 Air Nautique, GT40 Pro Boss, Trail Rite trailer
1975 Century Resorter
MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2016 at 7:10pm
Thanks JD ski I will check that out
Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1968 - Mustang - Sold

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2016 at 11:08am
That is a Mack Daddy boat ya got there Mac!!
FWIW, officially the "196" moniker was not used by Correct Craft until 2003, so technically your boat is simply a "Ski Nautique" which certainly is not a bad thing!!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2016 at 12:32pm
Shim the rear track mount bolts to taste.
MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2016 at 10:48pm
Thanks for the clarification on the 196. Didn't know there was a difference.

I was thinking about trying some shims. Going back to the lake property one of these days. I will take a look and see how much shim can be put in with existing bolts/studs and if bolts/studs can be replaced with longer ones if necessary.   Thanks
Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1968 - Mustang - Sold

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic