NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winterize ZR 409 closed cooling

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
utahdave View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterize ZR 409 closed cooling
    Posted: December-05-2016 at 5:43pm
2 Questions about winterizing.
Still trying to get to know the boat better (one year in).

2014 SN 200.
ZR 409 closed cooling with heat exchanger, Catanium exhaust

I've run through the PCM service manual's procedure several times successfully.
I like to ski at least once every 2-3 weeks in the winter.

To make winterizing more efficient, I wondered if it would work to add a t-fitting just before the raw water strainer to which I could connect a hose and deliver the pink environmentally friendly coolant (gravity fed from 5 gallon jug, circulated by running the engine for a minute or so).

If I add the tee, I have a 90 degree shutoff inline on the hose from the water pick-up at the hull I can close (to prevent coolant from leaving via the bottom of the boat). Coolant would fill the 3 feet of hose between my t-fitting and the shut off, then circulate.

When I winterized yesterday, about a quart of water came out of the Catanium exhaust manifold drain plugs.

I'm worried that with that much water in the exhaust manifolds, it will be hard to know if I get enough coolant in them (and water out of them) to prevent freeze damage. I hear the catanium manifolds are very expensive. Boat is stored in and indoor storage unit. Temps get down to 15 at night sometimes here.

My Second Question(s):
My driver (creature comfort) heater has the shutoff valve closed in the engine compartment where water would leave the engine and go to the heater circuit.

1. This circuit is coolant if I have closed cooling, right?
I opened a hose clamp, and coolant the same color as my engine coolant reservoir came out. I also traced the hoses and it seems like they are tied to the closed cooling system, not the raw water system.
2. If I open it for Winter boating heat, should I close it again in the Spring?

Thank you,
Dave
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2016 at 5:59pm
Heater is on the closed (coolant) side so there is nothing you need to do with it for winterizing. Not sure I understand your heater valve question, you would really need 2 valves to cut the heater off totally, are you sure the valve you are referencing is for the heater??

Whenever adding the pink stuff you should really drain first. If you drain fully technically the pink stuff is not necessary.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2016 at 6:36pm
Hard to believe the manual doesn't say what and where to drain all the water out. Those exhaust manifolds are quite expense and absolutely should be drained. Once you get all the water out you are essentially safe for freezing temperatures. Some folks sleep better at night using antifreeze.
utahdave View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2016 at 7:16pm
Hey Hollywood,
They manual does say what and where to drain.
My question was: would it work to not drain, and run coolant through that circuit instead of draining.

I suspected it wouldn't work well enough. So far, others seem to agree.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2016 at 7:29pm
Not sure if the plumbing differs but in the '04 ZR6 - The manifolds drain by the common central drain system bolt - remove that and you will only get a quart or so of water. Make sure you remove your water strainer bowl and your raw water intake will drain - a lot will back drain once that airlock is broken. Make sure RWP and intercooler are drained. Intercooler should be the third hose coming to the central system drain bolt down the center of the bottom of the engine.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2016 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by utahdave utahdave wrote:

Hey Hollywood,
They manual does say what and where to drain.
My question was: would it work to not drain, and run coolant through that circuit instead of draining.

I suspected it wouldn't work well enough. So far, others seem to agree.

It is sooooo easy to drain. We run our 206 in the winter (freezing temps here in VA and areas of the lake will freeze) and just drain after use.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2016 at 7:47pm
The manual should say to drain first even if you want to backfill with antifreeze. You need to drain first else you are diluting the antifreeze and raising the freezing point.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic