NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite 6.5" Speakers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
86ER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite 6.5" Speakers
    Posted: December-15-2016 at 12:18am
I need to replace the factory speakers on my '97. I believe that they are 6.5" units,

The Polk MM651 speakers consistently get the best overall rating for 6.5" marine speakers, but all of the negative reviews on Amazon address quality control issues, which appear to be significant.

Has anyone used these speakers and if so, what is your experience with them?

I know this will be a loaded question, but what 6.5" speakers would you recommend? They've all got pros and cons. I'm not trying to produce sound that can be heard by a skier or by the crew in the boat at WOT. I'm looking for decent quality sound during breaks and cruising along at slower speeds. Assume that I'm going with a head unit producing 100W peak/channel and not using an amp if that helps.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2016 at 8:50am
For the money you cant beat Kicker. Good quality as well. R fosgate don't sound that great and don't last. JL and Wet Sounds are the best without question but can get spendy pretty quick.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2016 at 10:34am
Have the factory original polks still in my 206 and after 12 hard years the cabin speakers which are pushed through an amp sound great, the bow speakers which are pushed through the deck are a bit fatigued. IMO an amp can do more for sound quality then what speaker you choose.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2016 at 11:03am
Not familiar with the mm651 but the db651 is cheap and has a good reputation. Not very sensitive though, an amp would drive them better.

Hopefully you're planning to rear mount them as the factory did to keep the stock cloth grills?
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2016 at 12:14pm
I have had the MM651 in my old car and now my Sport Nautique and I upgraded to the MM6501 in my new car. and really like them. I don't like very bright speakers and the Polks tend to fit the bill. I think of them as being nice easy on the ears speakers, maybe not the highest fidelity but they do what I need in a boat.

I feel like once you are spending over $100 bucks on speakers the differences are either small and in most cases just preference unless you start sending alot more.

I listen to most of my music on Pandora and Spotify and I think unless you are playing your Music from CD's or FLAC, the speakers will perform just fine. JL's and Wetsounds get a lot of love in the boat world and I have never tried them as I have always been very satisfied with my Polks. I also don't listen to my music particularly loud so I can't really speak much to that.

Lastly If you are looking to rear mount the speakers, I would not go with the MM651. They cannot be rear mounted. The db651s can though.

I
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2016 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by 86ER 86ER wrote:

Assume that I'm going with a head unit producing 100W peak/channel and not using an amp if that helps.

Okay, I just saw this. Don't get the MM651. They need an amp. If you are just going to use a head unit then the DB651 are a better choice and no need in spending more then $50 on a pair of speakers if you are not going to use an amp, it is just not worth it.

I installed the db651 rear mounted in my coaming pad slast year. (I have MM651 in the front and DB651 as the reasr speakers). I uses two plastic mounting rings I got off amazon. I did a write up of it on Planet Nautique. Very simple process and the speakers are marine rated.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2016 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Blamey Blamey wrote:

Originally posted by 86ER 86ER wrote:

Assume that I'm going with a head unit producing 100W peak/channel and not using an amp if that helps.

Okay, I just saw this. Don't get the MM651. They need an amp. If you are just going to use a head unit then the DB651 are a better choice and no need in spending more then $50 on a pair of speakers if you are not going to use an amp, it is just not worth it.

I installed the db651 rear mounted in my coaming pad slast year. (I have MM651 in the front and DB651 as the reasr speakers). I uses two plastic mounting rings I got off amazon. I did a write up of it on Planet Nautique. Very simple process and the speakers are marine rated.

I 2nd this... my buddy has MM651s and I have the DB651s and w/o an amp there isn't a noticeable difference.. I think you can get 4 db for less than a pair of mm. Both are marine grade. I felt the need to add a sub last summer. Sounds decent.
86ER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2016 at 6:12pm
Appreciate all of the info guys. I think that I'll give the DB651 units a try. They appear to have the least percentage of quality control complaints with regard to those speakers that I've been considering, and at the average selling price, even if they don't cut it, I haven't wasted too much money.
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2016 at 7:22pm
I just installed JL 6.5s in my Air. They sound pretty good, but I honestly don't think it's justifiably nicer than the lower range speakers. At least not for the money spent. Also, because the tweeters are integrated into the grill, they had to be surface mounted on the combing pad, which is fine, but I was hoping to keep the stock mesh cover things. Just a heads up.
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic