NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2017 Stringer project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

would have relocated it to a better location during the rebuild.

x2. If you identify an opportunity for improvement certainly take it.
Tfreeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfreeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2017 at 12:53am
I have had a busy couple of days, knocking out projects in order to be prepared to really get started on this project. I spent yesterday spreading gravel in the beautiful 70* sunny weather. It turned out nice and will be the permanent spot for my boat and pressure washer trailer.

I'm expecting the gravel to match once the dust is worked off from the weather. The darker stuff has been down for about a month while I prepared the 2nd half.

Today I organized the toolboxes and got the rest of the boat stuff into the basement for storage. All this cleared up the work space and let me see what I've got to work with.

The blue handled concrete spreader is placed on the floor at 7' from the toolboxes. If I put the boat on a moveable dolly, the wife can use her spot to park at night. Of course the rest of the junk will be moved.

EDIT: I guess I didn't share this before. Sometime around here I also cut out the floor and got the foam cleaned out.

END EDIT

I guess now I'm looking for ideas and advise on building a dolly, and bracing the boat to keep its shape as ive seen mentioned on other threads. I have a few ideas for the dolly, but I don't really know where to begin with the bracing.

Have a good weekend every one, Falcons rise up.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2017 at 11:51am
Great looking garage!

I think other guys have just put timbers from ground up to stringer areas, esp midship. (after taking load off trailer springs).

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Tfreeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfreeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2017 at 1:08pm
Thanks. So based on your comment, the hulls deform more like a "U" from bow to stern vs side to side?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2017 at 7:12pm
Kinda like a mattress, always dips in the middle, never near the end!

Ben Franklin
Tfreeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfreeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2017 at 1:09pm
Made a little progress this week, I had a subpoena for a court case in which I was a call in witness. I was on call for a week starting Monday, luckily I was not called in, but progress was slow at the beginning of the week. Idk if I mentioned it earlier, but this is NOT a full or original restore, so things are going to be changed to fit my needs. That being said I added a couple pairs of pop up cleats and added a flip up anchor light to the wake tower. Removed the tower and swim platform, test fit the length in my garage and my wife and I had our first ultrasound for our first child coming at the end of August.

Then over the cours of Thursday and Friday, I got the boat off the trailer and on a dolly, and in its resting place in the garage. The wife will have her spot in the garage for most nights, assuming things aren't curing or something and preventing me from moving it.

Goal for Monday is to at least source whatever lumber I decide to use, and potentially order it and the first bit of epoxy/glass. I'd also like to start with some of the removal of a stringer, I think I'll be doing one at a time to keep the reference points (or whatever is left of them)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2017 at 2:43pm
Wow that's a nice dolly.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2017 at 2:53pm
Trevor,
I sure agree with Tim!

When you start grinding out the hull, make sure you get your wife's car out of the garage. Trust me, I've been there when I didn't and I still hear about it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tfreeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfreeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2017 at 3:35pm
Thanks for the compliments, i really didn't know how to build the thing, so it came about with 2 5'x4' Dolly's that I ended up joining together. It rolls fairly well even with the small casters.

Her car will only be inside when I'm not working on the boat. We made an agreement when we moved in, that I can do as I please with the garage but she wanted to park inside, then we bought this car new, so she is particular. I imagine it will still spend a handful of nights outside throughout the project, no big deal. I'll just pull it in at night when I wrap up the day's work. My schedule allows me a lot of days off while she's working, plenty of time for the boat.

Any comments on stringer materials? I've read about Coosa and fir. Has anyone done long leaf pine treated with the cpes? I'm about half an hour west of Atlanta.
Tfreeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfreeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2017 at 7:22pm
I CANT FIND LUMBER

I have been able to locate Douglas fir in a rough cut 6/4x6" at $6.40 a foot. As far as that goes I can pick it up Wednesday morning when I get off work, it's about
5 minutes from my station. That puts it at 1.5" thick before it sees the planer. So this won't work, correct?

I can't locate LVL. My neighbor that's helping me out did his own laminate for the main stringer in his palm beach.

Anyway, I got a main out today in 1 "whole" piece.

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2017 at 8:06pm
home depot should be able to order you LVL, but you may have to go to the pro counter instead of just looking on the shelves.    I forget what the trade name is for it but I have used it as a ledger board in the past, and am pretty sure we got it at the HD.    
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2017 at 8:15pm
Lvl = microlam, no?

Coosa deserves some consideration but it's more spendy (figure $1k upcharge over wood) and requires some additional process and design considerations. Stringers are usually multi-layer laminations, major pieces (cradle) need to be through bolted, etc. it's great stuff and easy to work with but it complicates things a little- so it'll slow you down a bit.
Tfreeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfreeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2017 at 8:44pm
I didn't consider the pro counter at the depot. The HD website was saying unavailable for purchase (including ordering) within 100 miles of my zip code, I'll stop by and double check tho.

Budget does not allot for coosa
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2017 at 9:21pm
Pete can help with HD, he's on the inside!

Ben Franklin
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2017 at 9:37pm
I had the best luck at a local builder supply. I found a company that supplies them and could get the Douglas fir. I then had to tell the local place that they could get it from their supplier.
'92 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2017 at 11:43pm
Trevor,
Any lumber yard plus HD can get you the LVL. No one stocks it because of all the different sizes and lengths! ( you can get it up to 50' long) Our little HD store up here will get it in one to two days max. You order the length needed, the warehouse cuts it to length and then it's shipped to the store/lumber yard.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2017 at 11:49pm
Where did Greg get the wood for the pumpkin?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2017 at 12:14am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Wow that's a nice dolly.

+1

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2017 at 7:50am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I went digging into his thread a couple days ago to see if could find his source but couldn't find it. I didn't read every page though. Maybe someone whose retired can do such. We seem to have a few of those retirees around here with nothing better to do!

Nautiquehunter did a Supra comp restore a couple years so I'll give him a shout to see where he got his wood from to help a fellow Georgian out.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2017 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

I went digging into his thread a couple days ago to see if could find his source but couldn't find it. I didn't read every page though. Maybe someone whose retired can do such. We seem to have a few of those retirees around here with nothing better to do!

Well, not retired yet, I'm always up early, no work today and the wife is still sleeping so I don't want to work on the house, but here is the place. Sweetwater lumber
Trevor,
The 6/4 doesn't need to be surfaced. Just take the belt sander to it and knock off the high spots and fuzzes. .If you really want it surfaced, you would need to go with 8/4 and run it through the planer. Do route the tops with a radius to make the glass lay down easier.

If you go the LVL route, keep in mind the thickness is 1 &3/4" so the width between the stringers needs adjusting. Just put the extra thickness to the outside.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2017 at 9:23am
Tim,
I think Keith did something to the sites search feature since I've been finding it working lots better lately. For the Doug Fir Greg found, I searched his posts using the key word "Douglas" Since the key words are highlighted in yellow, it was an easy scroll through the pages to find.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2017 at 10:33am
Cool beans...Thanks Pete... guess if I ever need to do a stringer job myself I'll have to remember this place....

Trevor....there ya go!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2017 at 11:09am

Maybe someone whose retired can do such. We seem to have a few of those retirees around here with nothing better to do!

I think you seriously misunderstand the concept of retired means   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Tfreeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfreeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2017 at 1:58pm

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Well, not retired yet, I'm always up early, no work today and the wife is still sleeping so I don't want to work on the house, but here is the place. Sweetwater lumber
Trevor,
The 6/4 doesn't need to be surfaced. Just take the belt sander to it and knock off the high spots and fuzzes. .If you really want it surfaced, you would need to go with 8/4 and run it through the planer. Do route the tops with a radius to make the glass lay down easier.

If you go the LVL route, keep in mind the thickness is 1 &3/4" so the width between the stringers needs adjusting. Just put the extra thickness to the outside.

Ive talked to Sweetwater, they said that small quantities like I need are few and far between, he was supposed to be calling me back

Talked to Hardwoods Inc. They have the 6/4 x6 at $6.40/foot. It's too small at 6

Peachstate lumber has none.

I will check with HD on the LVL and I did find the distributor for the LVL.

At the risk of receiving a digital flogging, what is so bad about the yellow pine? On the charts, it appears to very similar to the fir on the numbers. After treating it with cpes, is actually 20 times worse as the price suggests?

Thanks for the input.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2017 at 2:19pm
Trevor,
On the SYP, I'd say go for it but add one more layer on the glass schedule. Also, make sure it's very dry. Use a moisture meter and not just the word of the seller. I suggest getting it below 7% to 8% Yes on the CPES especially on end grain and any cuts/notches.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nautique Newby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 3:26pm
Not to hijack this thread but this seems to be the most current stringer thread and didn't want to start another one.   I've started (admittedly very late) a complete floor/stringer redo of my '82 2001. I'm also going the LVL route for mains and C grade pine for secondaries. We cannot get Douglas Fir here (I'm in the same area as Big Pappa).

One question that may affect Trevor. US Composites says they are out of the Epoxy mat and can't get any more of it at this time. They recommend going with 1.5 oz chop strand mat in it's place. Do any of you fiberglassing experts have an opinion on this? I'm a complete rookie at this just stumbling my way through with the help of this forum.

My plan was to use SkiBums layup method with the tapes, 10 oz mat and epoxy mat. Would the 1708 take the place of the epoxy mat or is that too stiff for the bends on the stringer (even with eased edges)? Seems like I read someone did use 1708 on the stringers but it required some skill and patience. I have the latter but not the former (yet).

Again, did not mean to hijack this thread but thought it might be helpful to OP (and others).

Thanks,
Allen
I hope I don't screw this up!
Tfreeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfreeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2017 at 11:30pm
Well, I did with this thread exactly what I told myself I wouldn't do. I let it sit idle for 5 months with out an update. So here it is.

The boat is done.

We've been on the water for a month now. I found the rot on 1/6/17 and took this pic of the first lake test on 6/7/17

More updates to follow....I got way off track and took it well beyond what I intended when I started.
Tfreeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfreeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2017 at 11:54pm
Picture bombardments to follow.

Pics of the tear down

Test fitting: made a template that was way off but it was something to copy that wasn't falling apart. Test fitting stringers. PB'ed the new mains in

Tfreeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfreeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2017 at 12:07am
Secondaries removed

At this point I think I needed a break or didn't have time for a day of laying glass, got some steel to lengthen the trailer and build a prop guard (guards not built yet)

Plate went on the outside, the thickness was a little off on the new stuff. I'm very confident my welds have good penetration, just not perfect looking. I'm no pro..

Secondaries in and glassing underway

Test fitting battery box, decided to scrap the pvc and drop flex tube all the way back
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2017 at 12:08am
Wow! That was fast. Glad you were able to get out on the water this summer.
'92 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic