Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 83 Nautique 2001 - Mercruiser Chev 350 260 issue
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

83 Nautique 2001 - Mercruiser Chev 350 260 issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2017 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

The burn looks very normal to me, but I just don't understand this 'head is worn' thing....

But from very afar, the head gasket appears odd at 3 oclock on # 7

Ironically, I was thinking exactly the same thing. You need to explain "the head is worn".

Then I keep looking at #7. In addition to the little burn at 3 o'clock on the gasket and the aforementioned exhaust valve that has obviously been replaced already, the intake valve has some weird flash or heat scoring on it. Like maybe starting to get on the lean side and started to frag the plug. The flash scoring even looks to be originating from the plug. What did the plug look like on #7 when you pulled it? How did it compare to the rest of the plugs?

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2017 at 1:56pm
Thanks for the insight. My wording perhaps is not 100% here, also I don't know the correct terms as to the areas on the head etc.

The area where the valve seats is badly pitted, engineer used the words badly corroded.
My valves are already the biggest you can buy and there is a tiny bit of movement here, should be okay for now, but any more wear and I will have a bit more of an issue.

Impeller was still in okay nick when I got the boat, it was the first thing I changed in any case (housing and impeller), did find some bits of rubber throughout the cooling, obviously from a previous impeller which I pulled out as best I could.

Motor runs cool when on the water, I always keep an eye on the gauge.

Plugs on 1 and 3 looked semi dry 5 and 7 were wettish. Plug gaps looked pretty consistent all round.

I bought new intake valves today, there was enough meat on the exhaust valves for him to clean up and reuse, the head was getting skimmed when I dropped them off, I should have it all back in the morning.

edit: had a closer look at the head gasket, that part at 3 o'clock on 7 does look a little suspect, has some discolouration on, it has become a bit damaged with me carting it around to get a replacement, so I don't think mic'ing it at this point would lead any useful results.
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2017 at 7:19pm
So your guides are wearing out (the cylindrical part of the head that the valve slides up into). Those can be knurled to tighten them up, but its a temporary fix, they can also be sleeved with a brass sleeve. Doesn't cost all that much here in the states but might over in SA. The valve seats (the corroded part) are replaceable, they can be popped out an a new one pressed in and then cut to match your valve face. Again not a big deal here but who knows where you are. also those aren't the biggest valves you can install. Those are 1.94" intake, 1.5" exhaust valves. Biggest you could put in there (without going crazy with extra machining costs are 2.02, intake and 1.60" exhaust. Probably not worth the effort though based on the normal operating RPMs of these boats. You wouldn't see any real performance gains over the stock set of heads unless you were running the engine above 5K RPMs.

And yes those heads are exactly the same as any late 60's to early 90's small block chevy heads with the 4 bolt valve covers from just about any GM car or Truck of the era. 99.9% of them will have the 1.94/1.5" valves and 76cc combustion chambers. You might get a slightly better set out of an L82 corvette, but again unless that the first set you find, performance wise its not worth the extra money someone would probably ask for them. .   You don't want to go out and get a set of Vortec heads (which came out in the mid 90's) with the valve cover bolts down the center and a heart shaped combustion chamber, They require different intake and exhaust manifolds than your normal small block chevy heads.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2017 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by mark c mark c wrote:

You don't want to go out and get a set of Vortec heads (which came out in the mid 90's) with the valve cover bolts down the center and a heart shaped combustion chamber, They require different intake and exhaust manifolds than your normal small block chevy heads.

Mark

If you were to do this you'd probably figure out that the old exhaust manifolds will bolt right on to the 5.7 Vortec heads
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2017 at 10:50pm
They will indeed bolt up, but the bolt hole locations on the vortec heads in relation to the port will move your exhaust manifold up just a bit, somewhere between an 1/8th and 3/16" so depending on how much meat there is on the exhaust manifold and marine manifolds seem to have a ton you could get a leak along the bottom of the manifold and poor port matching. Probably won't leak but I've never had a reason to install Vortec heads on any engine I've ever built or even owned.

The stock valve covers are also 1/2" higher than a standard set of SB chevy heads, again don't know if this will interfere with any of the SB marine exhaust manifolds, Bolting them up will be much simpler with 4 bolts down the center, don't have to worry about dropping one down between the valve cover and the manifold.

Combustion chambers are 64CC so a flat top piston compression ratio will increase to just about 10:1 (probably closer to 10.2) and piston quench would be somewhere in the .044 range assuming a stock composite type head gasket and the rest of the engine being basically stock and never had the block decked, which is just a bit to much quench height. All of that will put you right in the premium fuel zone.
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2017 at 12:47am
Thanks mark 👌🏻
In my general vicinity we have 1 shop that sells V8 spares, they are very knowledgeable and helpful albeit a little pricey but they have the market cornered so that's just business. They did mention doing something to the guides to give them a bit more life, but I can get a 'good' second hand set of heads for about $300 which considering what I just spent on gaskets and valves really seemed reasonable.

Unfortunately here V8 engines aren't as common as over there, and as soon as I mention reverse rotation or marine everyone's faces go blank
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2017 at 7:15am
Don't know all about shipping and import fees but these might be worth looking into. Save 40 or more pounds and wake up that SBC some.

Post this number in the E-Bay search line:     291996169160

And for Ford fans, try this one:    351880220666

Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2017 at 7:34am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Don't know all about shipping and import fees but these might be worth looking into. Save 40 or more pounds and wake up that SBC some.

Post this number in the E-Bay search line:     291996169160

And for Ford fans, try this one:    351880220666

Not a bad price that, freight is $120 still way cheaper than I have been quoted for a new set here, slightly more than half the price of local supplier.
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2017 at 9:45am
Originally posted by mark c mark c wrote:

They will indeed bolt up, but the bolt hole locations on the vortec heads in relation to the port will move your exhaust manifold up just a bit, somewhere between an 1/8th and 3/16" so depending on how much meat there is on the exhaust manifold and marine manifolds seem to have a ton you could get a leak along the bottom of the manifold and poor port matching. Probably won't leak but I've never had a reason to install Vortec heads on any engine I've ever built or even owned.

The stock valve covers are also 1/2" higher than a standard set of SB chevy heads, again don't know if this will interfere with any of the SB marine exhaust manifolds, Bolting them up will be much simpler with 4 bolts down the center, don't have to worry about dropping one down between the valve cover and the manifold.

Combustion chambers are 64CC so a flat top piston compression ratio will increase to just about 10:1 (probably closer to 10.2) and piston quench would be somewhere in the .044 range assuming a stock composite type head gasket and the rest of the engine being basically stock and never had the block decked, which is just a bit to much quench height. All of that will put you right in the premium fuel zone.

Well back to my comment about them bolting right up, I helped a friend swap a later vortec into his boat and they bolted right up and no leaks or issues of any kind.

We did change risers to some 3.5 inch ones but saw no sense in changing the manifolds and I seem to remember nobody made a set specifically for 5.7 Vortec heads anyways because the older ones worked.,
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2017 at 10:03am
No differentiation vortec vs non-vortec on SkiDIM's site (they sell Pcm chevy manifolds). Interesting.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2017 at 10:35am
It's a pretty common upgrade to put Vortec heads on an older non-Vortec engine. The results are about the same as putting GT-40P heads on a SBF with the exception being a new intake and valve covers are required but have never heard of needing new manifolds or headers.
I'm sure someone in the hot rod and trucking communities would've mentioned something to that effect a long time ago if it was required, or at minimum it would've been mentioned in the probably dozen or so tech books I have specifically on building and modifying SBC's.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2017 at 11:54am
Couldn't find anything in an hour searching google re: different exhaust bolt pattern/port alignment with vortec heads. Definitely true on the intakes (sounds like there are some catalog gm vortec heads that offer both intake bolt styles- but the old style intake ports don't align). I'd like to hear more about this, as vortec seems like a good way to go (if you're stuck with chevy power, of course).
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2017 at 12:18pm
Yeah we put a vortec Tahoe engine into a buddies Malibu a year a go with just an intake swap...   he also went to a dui at the time to avoid any issues with non optimized mercruiser electronic ignition/engine nanny controls but I don't think that was required.   Makes a junkyard roller cam vortec engine a pretty cheap swap for a later model 1:23 to one boat ... if you are into that sort of thing.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2017 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I'd like to hear more about this, as vortec seems like a good way to go (if you're stuck with chevy power, of course).

It's a solid upgrade and pretty cheap too. You can find Vortec heads very reasonable out there.
The articles make it seem the reason for the intake change is the new bolt pattern but the Vortec intake ports are much taller than the old version. They flow a ton better over the entire RPM range.
Then the smaller heart shaped swirl ports bump the CR a little.
The one downside is you also need new valve covers as they bolt through the center instead of around the edge. Good and bad thing IMHO. The center bolts seal better and it's much easier to remove the covers if you have to but cosmetically, I still prefer the old style. I'm pretty sure that the new covers are also taller too. Leaves enough room for roller rockers without a problem.
I don't recall for sure if you can reuse the old pushrods. I'm thinking not but I would have to revisit that to verify.

Overall, the end result would easily match what is achieved with GT-40P's and an intake on a SBF. The cost of the upgrade would probably be more than a similar SBF upgrade but only because of the valve covers (and possibly the pushrods) that are needed.

Eddie
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2017 at 12:01pm
Stock vortec heads also have a valve lift limit of .450 inches due to the height of the taller valve guides and the heavy gauge valve springs which will cause coil bind. The retainer will hit the guide before the coils physically bind. Guides can be machined down and of course the aftermarket vortec heads may or may not already have the guides shortened depending on who manufactured them. Don't know what cams are out there for a RR SB chevy, but be aware this may or may not be a bolt on mod. They are good heads, about equal to the old Fuelie 202 chevy heads with a better chamber design easily capable of 400HP on a fairly tame build if the quench heights are set right.
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2017 at 1:11pm
Popped head back on with new gaskets, set the rockers and turned her over, had full compression on all cylinders,

Connected everything back up and fired her up, didnt go, but that was our fault, didnt check ignition timing, fixed that and she fired up and purred, still had a slight tapping sound, but otherwise smooth and idled great.

Headed out this weekend to camp out and took the boat with, did a few runs, the boat seemed to be smoking (white smoke) far more noticeable that I had ever seen, thought it may be oil from assembly so shrugged it off (it had a slight smoke at WOT in the past, but I never run that speed), got the better half up on skis for her first time

Boat developed a small miss at low revs, so we took her out to feel and check perhaps the ignition timing wasn't quite right, temp seemed high, suspected loose wire on the temp transducer, but sorted that and still seemed odd, while i was out felt the gearbox was slipping, so topped up the oil there and soon after I heard a strange almost sucking sound,

Tried to turn her over and no go, pulled plugs and water came out the cylinders
We religiously torque everything to spec and triple checked every bolt, made sure it was all perfect and tightened in the correct sequence over a three stage torque process.

Right now, I am considering picking up a reman merc assembly off ebay, shipping included it may come in cheaper than a local rebuild, and prbably more reliable, also not sure who I could trust locally with a rebuild of this motor, as not many V8s around and also virtually no marine, let alone reverse rotation.

Any other options ?! anyone got a nice low hour engine they can crate and ship me as scrap   
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2017 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by geecee geecee wrote:

I bought new intake valves today, there was enough meat on the exhaust valves for him to clean up and reuse, the head was getting skimmed when I dropped them off, I should have it all back in the morning.

How many cylinders had water come out ? Which ones?

Was there water in the oil ?

It sounds like you only took one head off and had it skimmed. How much was skimmed off of the head ?

However much was taken off, your intake manifold to head sealing surfaces aren't parallel anymore and if enough was taken off that one head you could have sealing issues with the gasket

Was the new head gasket the stock thickness or different thickness.?

Did you use RTV around the water passages in the intake manifold gasket. They're typically tough to seal and RTV is just about always recommended.

Did you have the riser off of the exhaust manifold?

Lots of questions for ya' but I suppose the logical thought is that it was caused by something you and/or the machine shop did since you didn't have any water issues at the beginning of this thread

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2017 at 5:12pm
I feel sorry for folks any time the dreaded water in the he motor happens... It's never clear where it got in...You spend time and money only to be frustrated again and back at square one. Well if you are not afraid of being too deep$ in the boat your sanity and joy can be restored with a mercruier complete engine...All new... I got the 350hp 383 stroker and it's been plug and play awesome ever since
This is the life
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2017 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

It sounds like you only took one head off and had it skimmed. How much was skimmed off of the head ?

However much was taken off, your intake manifold to head sealing surfaces aren't parallel anymore and if enough was taken off that one head you could have sealing issues with the gasket ...

My brother had a similar thing happen after replacing his Chevy Mercruiser heads with a new set of machined ones. If the heads come out a little "shorter" after machining, it does change the way the intake manifold aligns. I believe his solution involved different gaskets.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2017 at 5:19pm
So sad to hear that an assembly mistake causes so much agony like this. I cannot imagine the frustration. Makes you want to go find a deep spot and pull the drain plug! Ugh!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2017 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by geecee geecee wrote:

, the boat seemed to be smoking (white smoke) far more noticeable that I had ever seen, thought it may be oil from assembly so shrugged it off (it had a slight smoke at WOT in the past, but I never run that speed),   

Boat developed a small miss at low revs, so we took her out to feel and check perhaps the ignition timing wasn't quite right, temp seemed high, suspected loose wire on the temp transducer, but sorted that and still seemed odd, while i was out felt the gearbox was slipping, so topped up the oil there and soon after I heard a strange almost sucking sound,

Tried to turn her over and no go, pulled plugs and water came out the cylinders

Thinking about this some more, lots of white exhaust smoke, water in some cylinders and that "strange sucking sound" seems to make me think head gasket or cracked head or bad exhaust manifold.

Whatever cylinder{s} had water in them should have shiny clean spark plugs compared to those that didn't have water.

Not the end of the world, but like these other guys said, it could be a pain in the butt to figure out, but give some answers to the questions in my other post and somebody will have the solution for ya
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2017 at 1:30am
1 and 7 had water in, so the outside two, Hearing this I could guess that intake perhaps didn't seal properly, but the motor really felt smooth when we first took her out.

I did put sealer around any areas with water chambers, but maybe it wasn't enough.

I haven't checked the oil again but when we were on the water it was still clean.
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2017 at 2:09am
I'm am really concerned about getting someone local to rebuild this engine.
Right now I am considering a crate motor but it will break the bank for me here.

I may as well cut my losses and finance a newer boat

next option as mentioned is picking up a reman base engine from the states and transferring the exterior items from mine across to the new powerplant.

I always suspected a dodgy ring, but with full compression I thought I was in the clear.
Now with the excessive smoking i figured it must have a bad ring or two over and above the obvious valve issues I had, I don't want to throw more money at the topend only to find the bottom has issues, so looks like the engine definitely needs to be pulled.
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2017 at 2:37am
Your block could be good for more miles if the heads are fixed.
You may be getting water into the engine through your exhaust if the manifold is going bad.
I made a set up that allowed me to pressurize the cooling system on my brothers boat searching for coolant leaks, I was going to pull the heads. The engine held 35 PSI of pressure for 2 days with no leak so I learned our problem was coming in from outside putting water in the cylinders. You can plug all the exit hoses to seal the engine and make a contraption that allows you to pressurize the engine to see if you have an internal leak.
Both exhaust hose coolant inlets need to be plugged. and pressurize from the coolant inlet where water enters your engine.
Be careful not to use too much pressure, cars run at less than 20 PSI. If you pump it up to 60 psi you might blow out gaskets that are currently good. I think my 35 PSI test was about as high as you should go. I picked up parts for my test at the local hardware store.
I don't have a picture of the boat test but this is on my wifes BMW, same set up I used on the boat.
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2017 at 2:53am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

You already pulled the engine apart so some tests can't be done now but you can burn a ton of oil because of bad valve stem seals. Have your mechanic inspect your valve stem seals and the valves. Your block could be good for more miles if the heads are fixed.
A company called World Products sells brand new heads complete for your engine and they are not that expensive in the USA. They might be able to ship you a set in S Africa.

Engine is still together currently.
Valves stem seals were replaceed when head was done.

What tests can you recommend?

Also if anyone knows the best way I can get this water out without stripping the engine or doing further damage
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2017 at 2:58am
I was tempted to get new heads, but also worried about throwing more money at the problem without knowing root cause.

Heads would save me a heap, but may not fix the initial reason I looked into the motor,
which was a sound I can only describe as a loose tappet sound, That's when I did comp test and found no compression etc.

In hindsight I should have done both heads together, but was hasty as I wanted to use the boat this weekend just gone. Thinking about this now, if my valves have a bit of play because there was wear on the head by the valve guides, could this also allow excess oil to be burnt off.
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2017 at 3:03am
In the photo above and not seen is a ball check valve which allowed me to close off the hose I used to pressurize the system. Once I had it at 30 PSI in the photo I closed the valve and walked away. After an hour when it was still holding pressure I sprayed all the fittings and connections with a mix of dish soap and water. I found a couple of very slow leaks at the connections, The soap and water will bubble where the leaks are externally. I also sprayed around the intake manifold ends where I know the coolant passages are. When I had no more external leaks I pumped back up to the full 30 PSI sprayed everything again and left it for 2 days. I was still holding pressure. so I know the heads, intake manifold, head gaskets and block are sealed. Then we fixed his exhaust manifold,
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2017 at 8:52am
If there's no water in the oil your water passages in the manifold are sealed good because if they leaked, the water gets directly into the oil

You could have a crack in the head above the intake or exhaust valve in the #1 and 7 cylinders, leaking head gasket or bad manifolds.

If the machine shop had the valves out, they should have been able to find this. With cracks like this the water leaks into the combustion chamber when the valve is open
You said you had lots of white smoke, my guess is that it was steam from the water in those 2 cylinders

What did you use for torque values when you put the head on?

Turning the engine over with no water supply and the plugs out should blow the water out of the cylinders, then squirt some oil in and do it again.

if you test the system like MrMcD said you should be able to locate the issue

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2017 at 9:27am
I'm sure you know the conversion for ft-lb to n-m but figured I'd mention it anyways

first increment 25 ft=lb equals 33.9 n=m

second increment 45 ft-lb equals 61 n-m

Final torque 65 ft-lb equals 88.1 n-m

I know somebody named me who has looked at the wrong scale on the torque wrench before and been quite low on torque values so I figured I'd just throw that out there too    Thought I was going to 75 ft -lb but really went to 75 n-m which worked out to about 55 ft-lb. Needless to say, I had a little extra torquing to do when I figured that out.
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2017 at 11:04am
yes i worked in nm but made sure to use the correct scale.
and I believe I got the torque ratings from boxwrench.com but checked a few sources and all were pretty much the same values so I picked one that had both ft lb and nm for me to cross reference
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic