Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 83 Nautique 2001 - Mercruiser Chev 350 260 issue
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

83 Nautique 2001 - Mercruiser Chev 350 260 issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 83 Nautique 2001 - Mercruiser Chev 350 260 issue
    Posted: January-24-2017 at 11:19am
Hello everyone,

My engine recently developed a slight knocking sound, didn't notice any major performance issues but did have a lot more people on the boat that usual so I was revving higher for normal speeds.

Anyway to the point, I did a quick and nasty compression test, I can't guarantee the accuracy of results but they are roughly as follows. I just did a dry test,

1. 135
2. 145
3. 115
4. 130
5. 95
6. 125
7. reads +/-50 if i zero and try again needle doesn't budge
8. 150

So other than the fact that there is quite a bit of inconsistency, cylinder 5 and 7 and clearly a problem, 5 specifically. Also I'm not a mechanic, but am quite technical and hands on, if I just have broken ring/s could this be a quick fix or am I in for a full rebuild? in your opinions?

Now this engine no longer has the serial plate on, does anyone know if there are major differences between the 78-82 Mercruiser 350 260hp and the 82-86 Mercruiser 350 260hp engines in terms of internals, as being an '83 model I assume it could have either range installed (almost 100% sure its still factory engine after discussions with Art)
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2017 at 12:15pm
Don't blame your loading or revs, these engines can take it all day. If something weakened, then its an eventuality, it was going to happen.

5 and 7 are adjacent, so that may be indicative..

Best take the head off and look at the jug and the slug, and the head gasket.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2017 at 12:24pm
100%, thanks for the reply
Will have to find a buddy with a nice big garage that I can abuse :D
not ideal timing with a trip planned for weekend after next

1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2017 at 12:40pm
Very good.

Though i don't see a garage required, unless to escape extreme heat or something.

Consider, to not risk futzing with breaking exhaust manifold.bolts, just take the head off with it.. If it turns out to be just the head gasket, it can go right back on. If its a valve or worse, then separate the manifold from head.

An hour with with a socket set after work, you will have your answer if an $80 gasket set will get you motorboatin, or if its something more serious, then plan B.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2017 at 12:43pm
Do these marinized motors require different gaskets as apposed to standard engines?
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2017 at 12:48pm
google told me I need a stainless gasket
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2017 at 3:53pm
I agree with Gottaski on the next steps. Minimal time/effort to determine where to go after that.

There are technically marine gaskets but they really aren't needed. Many have used standard auto gaskets without issue. I personally used a marine head gasket for my rebuild and then used standard gaskets for the rest.. Some others might disagree.
One exception is if you're using it in saltwater. Then definitely want to use marine gaskets.

As for your original question about any changes through the years listed for the SBC. They are minimal but may/may not cause issues.

79 and prior had the dipstick on the port side with two piece rear main seal.
80-85 moved the dipstick to the starboard side with two piece RMS.
86 still had the dipstick on the starboard side but changed to a one piece RMS which changed the crank flange and oil pan. '86 cranks and oil pans will not fit on 85 and older blocks. As such 85 and older cranks and oil pans will not fit on 86 blocks. All the rest of the internals should interchange.

If that is truly an 83 and the factory motor, I gotta believe it will be an 83 block. I just can't imagine a ski boat manufacturer putting an older overstock engine into their boat without some potential consumer fraud backlash.. No way in hell a factory 83 boat would have an 84 or newer engine unless it was changed out somewhere along the way.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2017 at 4:09pm
It's pretty normal for marine engines to lag behind a year or sometimes more, comparing block castings to hull model year. Remember that there is a 3rd party supplier (marinizer) that has to do their thing. Boat production is also nowhere near the clockwork precision of auto production. Then there are special cases- like how Jody just told us recently that Ford stopped production of the 351w in '97 but PCM/correct craft horded enough parts to keep selling GT40's through 2002.

Long story short, verify casting numbers to be sure what you've got!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2017 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

As for your original question about any changes through the years listed for the SBC. They are minimal but may/may not cause issues.

If that is truly an 83 and the factory motor, I gotta believe it will be an 83 block. I just can't imagine a ski boat manufacturer putting an older overstock engine into their boat without some potential consumer fraud backlash..

Eddie, that may be the case now, but was common on older boats. My brothers and I bought a Century Resorter in 1981 and it has a Mercruiser 255 in it which according to the Merc serial number is a 1977 engine. My BIL's 1988 Malubu Skier has a 1987 PCM 240 hp engine based on the engine serial number. The boat is an '88 according to its serial number. Correct crafts, especially older ones might vary several years from when they were built, when the motor was built and what the bill of sale stated was the age.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2017 at 5:41pm
OK, I stand corrected. You guys would certainly know more than I do.
My limited knowledge comes from mine and John's boat. Both are '86 and both are definitely '86 MY engines. Now, that may be because of a couple of factors.

First off, both are American Skiers and had a limited yearly build number compared to CC's. Maybe A/S demanded same MY engines? I don't know. Just thinking out loud. Next time I talk with Ron Tanis, I'll have to remember to ask him if that was even a possibility.

Second, both have (or had) limited production HO engine options. One an Indmar and the other is a Hardin. Both a far cry from a standard production PCM or Mercruiser. This point is probably the real reason that the MY matches hull and engine.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2017 at 5:49pm
I was in my early 20's when we bought that Century and I was pretty surprised when I found out that it had a 1977 engine, especially as all the '81s at the time were advertised as 260's and ours was a 255. I asked the dealer about it and was told that was "normal" . Today, you could probably make a stink about that.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2017 at 5:53pm
Regarding block casting dates there was a time when cast iron was left out in the weather for 1 to 3 years to "season" the casting before machining. The "seasoning" would equalize any stresses from the casting. During WWII they didn't have the time but after up until I'd say the late 60's when casting improvements were made, the seasoning was very common.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2017 at 2:19am
thanks everyone, now to decide if I want to take on pulling the heads myself or pay someone else to do it.

I have worked on bikes before but never more than single cylinder work
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2017 at 4:27am
With 5 and 7 down on compression it does indicate a blown head gasket. It is possible that two cylinders side by side have valve or ring trouble but more likely a blown head gasket. When you pull the head study the head gasket and take pictures.   If you can read a gasket it will tell you a lot about what failed but either way the head comes off to fix it. With the Manifold off I would do both sides at once.   Since the heads are off a machine shop could inspect your heads for cracks and this would be a good time to have them rebuilt just to make sure you are good to go. The poor mans test to see if all your valves are sealing in the heads after you pull them would be to tilt the head so the ports face straight up. Pour some solvent in each port, intake and exhaust and watch for seepage. None of your valves should leak but if they do you will see the leak right away. If you do this outside you can test with gasoline but solvent is safer gasoline fumes are dangerous .
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2017 at 1:14pm
Thanks everyone for any info.

Pulled the head today, actually pulled exhaust manifold and everything off, no stripped bolts thank goodness. (Actually one was pretty loose come to think of it)

Attached a photo of my head and gasket, the problem cylinder (7) you can notice a different colour to the valve (far right valve), also the valve is smooth and does not have that recess that the others do, is this normal?

No noticeable blow through on the head gasket between cylinders, there was some water going through by the head bolts though. previous owner seemed to patch this with some silicon in the bolt hole . No water in the oil however.

Cylinders seem pretty clean, no major wear on the walls that I can tell with my untrained eye, very slight scoring but can only just feel it with bare fingers. No noticeable play in pistons.

I will take the head through to my local mechanic if I get a chance and get his opinion but any thoughts from anyone here as to what my problem could be?
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2017 at 2:45pm
I prefer a leak-down test over a compression test any day. You can loosen all the rocker arms (which will close all the valves) and check at BDC. That will let you hear and see leaks much better. If it is leaking between bores it will be evident with air leaking out the adjacent plug hole.
Usually you pump 80 psi into the gauge (adjusting the inline regulator to read 80). The air then goes thru a valve to a small orifice and then into the plug hole. The second gauge will measure the amount of air inside the cylinder. IF the leak is larger than the orifice size then it will register something less than the 80 psi on the second gauge. First gauge shows line pressure and the second shows cylinder pressure.
Just my way of checking.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2017 at 5:01am
my mechanic is going to swing by today and have a better look for me, might be pulling the engine soon and dropping it with him to work on right in peak season here
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2017 at 9:53am
Interested to hear mechanics view. Gasket and head look more suspect between the two center bores than anywhere else. Normal trouble area when two exhaust valves are together. With the heads off it is good time to freshen them up anyway. Oddball valve proves this is not the first time it has been apart. Definite YES to FelPro gaskets. Looks to be a FEL17030 gasket
        1978 Mustang (modified)
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2017 at 10:01am
Time wise felpro is not an option right now, as for me it will be 3 weeks just to get the gaskets in. Shipping is also about the same price if not more than the gaskets themselves.

Mechanic confirmed middle looked suspect but also not the reason number 7 has no compression, He suggested I do a quick valve test with some solvent to see if I have a valve leak on that cylinder.
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2017 at 1:50am
Mechanic had a look at the engine, said on general inspection he cannot see anything major that would cause an issue, the bore and pistons all seem good, really minimal piston slap etc. I did the solvent test and 3 of the 4 had leaking valves and 7 did seem worse than the others. Inherently this could be my issue too.

He did say that on these older cast blocks there can be issues with the head gaskets.

He suggested I get it skimmed and the valves etc checked by an engineering shop and put it all back together. worst case I waste a head gasket if it doesn't solve my problem.

If I still have an issue we will pull the motor and look at a full rebuild.
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2017 at 6:23am
Okay engineer says valves are biggest spec already and the head is in pretty bad shape.

Are these just standard chev 350 heads? aka I can find one off a car and slap it in
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2017 at 7:24am
Originally posted by geecee geecee wrote:

He suggested I get it skimmed and the valves etc checked by an engineering shop and put it all back together..

Skim cut like he said and grind valves and seats. New valve seals and put them back on.
Note: I said "them".   Do both heads
        1978 Mustang (modified)
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2017 at 7:53am
The idea was to do both heads but to get this one on asap to see if it's a bigger problem before I spend unnecessary money.

Unfortunately with living this side of the world parts are a lot more expensive and a lot harder to come by than that side of the pond.

Busy trying to find a set of replacement heads now and even that is posing to be a bit of a problem.
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2017 at 11:09am
Just going to throw one thought out there.

You mentioned above that when you were removing your exhaust manifolds, that at least one of the bolts was already loose.

Is there any chance that this slight knocking you hear was an exhaust manifold leak?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2017 at 11:08pm
Take a Mic and measure the thickness of the head gasket at all the hot spots, normally the hot spots are close to the exhaust valves. It does indeed look like your gasket failed between the center cylinders.
If the gasket measures smaller in certain areas the engine was overheated at some point and crushed the head gasket. You are looking for a difference in thickness of .003 -.004 normally from crush. This crushed area will fail later after the overheat. Could be 1 day or 2 months but once crushed the gasket will fail. The head bolts in the same area are usually low on torque when you remove them again from the crushed gasket.
The gasket can't rebound from a crush. Make sure your head is still flat with a straight edge before assembling again or have a shop rebuild the heads.
A leaking valve can quickly be found by pouring solvent in the ports. If it escapes past the valve it is not sealed.
When you have hot spots or localized overheating the block and head expand, this is what crushes the gasket. Once the block and head cools the gasket remains crushed but the block and head go back to original size leaving the head bolts in that area loose and the gasket will blow.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2017 at 12:01am
Mark would that be caused by running lean? It looks like with the Chevy design with the two exhaust valves being next to each other could cause trouble, It also looks like the sealing surface between the two cylinders on a Chevy is thinner compared to a Ford too. Now I have to find a pic of a Chrysler head to see their take
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2017 at 1:31am
So the head is being rebuilt today, Engineer says he will get it right but because the head is so worn I should look for another set to replace these with.

New gaskets etc and torqued back to spec, hoping I get it back this afternoon then I can get cracking at assembling this evening, hopefully test and soon find out if that's related to my compression issue, holding thumbs.
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2017 at 1:35am
For those interested the area on the block where the valve seats was really badly pitted, even I could tell they were looking horrible after they had cleaned up the head.
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2017 at 11:26am
The burn looks very normal to me, but I just don't understand this 'head is worn' thing....

No cracks, seats, guides, valve grinds, lap, resurface, thats about it.

But from very afar, the head gasket appears odd at 3 oclock on # 7

River Rat to Mole
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2017 at 1:40pm
If you check this posters location you will see he lives in South Africa. What is available to us and common may be unobtainable for him.
Gary, lean burn is a common cause of local heating and gasket failure.
Overheating does the same thing. The hottest areas grow the most and crush the gasket.
Fel-Pro offers a nice chart showing how to map a gasket and record the measurements to show what area's have been crushed. Once you do this you know exactly what happened in what cylinders.. It is a nice tool to help search for the failure area.
This is a boat with a raw water pump. Many times we see old impeller pieces lodged far inside an engine blocking water flow. Worth ruling out before the new parts install.
It is horrible to do all this work and have the exact same failure again because the cause was not identified.
Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic