NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Detached Garage

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2017 at 4:45pm
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2017 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

[QUOTE=bb12]] I wouldn't use the stuff on a dog house!!

X2. It's garbage and people that think its great just don't know the bad side of yet.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2017 at 5:15pm
Looks like there is a pool house already, correct? That doesn't already have a bathroom in it?
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2017 at 5:15pm

Originally posted by bb12 bb12 wrote:

I'd go with Hardie fiber cement shake shingles on the gable ends. They look great and you won't have to worry about maintenance.

Hardie Shake Shingles

You had better read the reviews!!! Lot's of problems with the Hardie siding products. I just had a customer in the HD the other day with issues Busting at the holes and falling off! Read all about the complaints and problem I wouldn't use the stuff on a dog house!!

Interesting... I knew there were some issues with some of the fiber cement sidings, but didn't realize Hardie was that bad. What about LP Smartside/engineered wood? Better yet, what kind of shake shingle would Pete use on a dog house?
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2017 at 5:36pm
one other option would be to get a variance move it over the few feet to get to 24' width.
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2017 at 6:03pm

Interesting... I knew there were some issues with some of the fiber cement sidings, but didn't realize Hardie was that bad. What about LP Smartside/engineered wood? Better yet, what kind of shake shingle would Pete use on a dog house? [/QUOTE]

All My experience with the LP smartsiding is its just like the fiber cement, even if all joints and exposed ends are painted or treated with something per their requirements they all still absorbs moisture. I see alot these products rot much quicker than the manufacturer's expected live span. I always tell customers, wood should not be outside. Vinyl and PVC for the long haul.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2017 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by bb12 bb12 wrote:

. What about LP Smartside/engineered wood? Better yet, what kind of shake siding would Pete use on a dog house?

I wouldn't use the Smartside on a dog house ether! Would you rely on caulking and a little paint on the ends to protect OSB? Caulking should be only used as a secondary means of preventing water intrusion! Then there's the little cans of paint they send with it so the carpenter crew can paint the ends of the cut OSB. I've seen how they apply it - not enough and with an old brush that's fallen or tossed in the dirt! My general who framed up my house this summer still uses the Smartside but he's learned the hard way that multiple coats of paint are needed on the ends since he's had some problems with it that he put on several years ago. I've also heard of the problem with the water getting into it at the HD.

On my dog house, I'd put real cedar lap, real cedar shingles or for the batten on board look sheet B&B board. I used the B&B on the shop build because an existing structure had it. I wanted to carry the theme. The existing was built 20 years ago without problems. The shop was built 4 years ago and no problems. The new house also ot the B&B.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2017 at 6:39pm
Man, you guys are spending some money! Woo hoo!

Cedar shakes in the gable will be vinyl same as on the house. The pool structure is more of what I'd call a cabana. It's a roof with a wall across the back, but there are no other walls or any type of enclosure. No bathroom under that roof.

I agree with most all of the comments about building it bigger, but i think it's just going to need to stay the 20x28. It just gets too close to the house for our liking to make it wider plus there's the cost to consider. I'm never putting 2 boats or a boat AND a car in this garage. The space unused by the boat, will be a small space for me to piddle. The side setbacks are a firm 20' and my neighbor is going to ensure that I don't violate that policy.

I'm very appreciative of the comments. I expected most to suggest making it wider, but fellas, this will be so much better than anything I've ever had for storage and piddling, I just don't see much regret in building it this way. This is probably a 10-15 year house for my family. Who knows what the next chapter will hold for boats, storage, piddling. If the worst I can say about it is that it should've been bigger, well that's not a terrible problem to have. Maybe I can build the next one bigger, but the men in my family all tell me that no matter how big it is, I'll wish it was bigger.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2017 at 6:53pm
There is nothing like a Lustron
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2017 at 6:55pm
Steve
I had a 24x28 at my old place and it worked ok (I wanted 26 x 32 but others objected) the final size worked out pretty good - I think somewhere the site there are pictures of the garage. I opted for conventional framing with an 8/12 roof pitch to permit storage upstairs.
I also by-passed the micro lam beam and went with a W16 x 40 to support the second floor framing and permit the occasional hoisting from the beam.

I will see if I can find the pictures of the garage and link them in. I have a set of the plans and will try to get them scanned and send to you if you like
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2017 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

The side setbacks are a firm 20' and my neighbor is going to ensure that I don't violate that policy.

Steve,
You probably already know but if not, the setback is the edge of the eave and not the wall.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2017 at 11:03pm
Steve, have you considered making the new structure into one of those micro houses, moving into it with the family, and turning the house into boat and car storage and man cave and work shop? Seems sensible to me.

You are 100% right, you'll love having a space like that! I rented an office with a storage bay in back about 2 years ago, have 2 boats side by side with enough room to walk between, still have enough length to work on stuff, stick my plow inside at times. I measured and it's 19'4" wide.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2017 at 12:47pm
20' is quite a large setback for most municipalities, is that setback actually a covenant of the HOA ?? Are you septic & well and if so where are they ??
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2017 at 1:14pm

Thoughts?

Dang Steve, I have looked and looked at this photo of your home and for the life of me, I can't tell where the wheels where on this doublewide trailer. The cement pond also adds a nice touch.

Nice job.

Donald   
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2017 at 1:27pm

Maybe I can build the next one bigger, but the men in my family all tell me that no matter how big it is, I'll wish it was bigger.

You aint lying, most of my life I have worked in a driveway... when I was 30 I was spoiled by sharing a 10' x 24' bay with a buddy. Ten years later and my house garage is 28x28, with 28x 18 overhead storage, rental shop is 36x50, real nice 8 x 14 shed... and I still have 7 boats stuck outside at this point... more space just sucks in more stuff. A well thought out and set up 20x28 boat storage house is a huge luxury.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2017 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Maybe I can build the next one bigger, but the men in my family all tell me that no matter how big it is, I'll wish it was bigger.

A well thought out and set up 20x28 boat storage house is a huge luxury.

That's how you start out, but after a few years it looks like this if it's not big enough.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2017 at 3:07pm
Steve, measured my tower up height, about 9'-3", 206 on Eagle dual axle trailer with 14" rims. Other brand trailers may vary slightly but probably not enough to make a 9' door work.

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2017 at 3:48pm
Thanks Quinner
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2017 at 4:55pm
As you can see Quinner has ample space and a different watercraft for each day of the week. Thinking ahead he even has room for future acquisitions
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2017 at 5:27pm
and the silhouette cutout of CQ looks to be spot on
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2017 at 7:19pm
is that a mopar or nova fender/headlight? and whats under the over? c6 vette?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2017 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

is that a mopar or nova fender/headlight? and whats under the over? c6 vette?

I was wondering what was under there as well.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2017 at 10:00am
There are a couple Vettes and also a couple Shelby Mustangs, perhaps we could start a new thread of what's under the wrapper with a really big prize.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2017 at 10:09am
Is that a Pepsi can on the workbench all the way at the back of the building? Is it full or empty?
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2017 at 9:52pm
Hi,
Sometimes a taller door means taller walls which can add to the cost quickly. They do have low clearance tracks. The installers hate them but it does enable one to put a taller door in a shorter wall. Curious as to what is on the existing house wall . Seems easier to build three walls and make it an attached Garage. Could help resale in the future. Or maybe a portico from house to garage..
Mike
GC
Lakedog55
93xs2003@gmail.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93xs2003@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2017 at 9:43am
Donald,

My 'boat shed' is 25' x 40'. I was gun shy about a deed restriction limiting detached garages, hence the 'shed.'   If I did it again, I would go bigger.   

With a couple other projects, I have learned that set back limits were made to be challenged. You just need to go through the process and play by their rules.   Unless you are in a hurry, I would attempt for the variance, with the understanding that the worst case is you will need to default to the prescribed set-back. Make sure you exit this process as buddies with the building department.   Risk is probably a few hundred bucks in extra fees and a few hours of your time.

One thing I did do was to run pex in the slab for radiant heat. I was thinking I would eventually put a small water heater out there to keep things above freezing.    After I built this 'shed' I realized that by chance it was perfectly oriented for solar.   I bought used solar water panels and installed a drain-back system to heat the slab.   This morning it was 17 degrees outside and 42 degrees in the shed. This comes at the cost of running a 90 watt circulation pump when the sun is shines.

I realize that heating a detached garage may not be a big concern in NC, but if it were me, I would plan to install enough solar (water) on the back of that garage to cover 100% of your domestic hot water demand for your house. I would divert a small portion of this to keep the garage above freezing in the winter, and dump any excess to the pool in summer.   

This, and if I did it again I would install iron lengthwise and crosswise for hoists. (and if funds allow, . . I would install a lift or at least make provisions for a future lift).   .. . and maybe a floor drain.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2017 at 10:43am
Originally posted by 93xs2003@gmail.com 93xs2003@gmail.com wrote:

.. . and maybe a floor drain.

Steve,
I would question the floor drain even if allowed by local codes, Petroleum products entering a septic, French drain, sanitary and or a storm drain is not good and potentially dangerous. What I did on the house garage I just finished is install a no outlet grated sump in the middle of the garage with the slab pitched to it. It's 24 x 48 x 10 deep. It certainly will not handle washing a vehicle but will handle the snow melt off the cars. The basic intent is to keep water from running down towards and under the OH doors. Up here, the water will freeze an OH door to the slab!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2017 at 10:59am

Originally posted by 93xs2003@gmail.com 93xs2003@gmail.com wrote:

.. . and maybe a floor drain.

Steve,
I would question the floor drain even if allowed by local codes, Petroleum products entering a septic, French drain, sanitary and or a storm drain is not good and potentially dangerous. What I did on the house garage I just finished is install a no outlet grated sump in the middle of the garage with the slab pitched to it. It's 24 x 48 x 10 deep. It certainly will not handle washing a vehicle but will handle the snow melt off the cars. The basic intent is to keep water from running down towards and under the OH doors. Up here, the water will freeze an OH door to the slab!!

Pete, I like your idea but maybe take it one step farther.. Install an RV dump valve in the pit and connect it to a downspout drain under ground. Just open the valve to drain runoff water. Kinda covert style.    Duane.   
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2017 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Pete, I like your idea but maybe take it one step farther.. Install an RV dump valve in the pit and connect it to a downspout drain under ground. Just open the valve to drain runoff water. Kinda covert style.    Duane.   

Duane,
You're always thinking but, it sure wouldn't have worked up here were the frost depth is close to 4'. With the 4' depth, that puts you back to a French drain and I've seen those freeze up I feel primarily due to the static nature of the water flow plus no bacteria to keep things ware like in a septic tank. BTW, my septic's top of the water level is set at 5' and then the drain field just over the 5'.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2017 at 1:16pm
Have you considered building a combo pool house and garage on the other side of the property? You could build an entertainment side facing the pool and then combine that with a much larger space for boats and cars.

A tall structure with a 10 foot garage door running with a ridge line perpendicular to the main house and taking the roof line down on pool side to 7 foot would make for a nice overhang sheltered area facing the pool.

You could combine the extra driveway with pavers to create a large pool deck combination as it wraps behind the house. You've got room for this over there,
And there's nothing in view from the front (neighbors) so no need to waste money on brick or shake shingles. I picture something 40 x 30.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic