Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

just bought a 1978 ski nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
mrjester12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrjester12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: just bought a 1978 ski nautique
    Posted: February-14-2017 at 11:41pm
hey guys first time getting on the forum and first post in my life so hope this is right. so i just bought a 1978 ski nautique. First boat i have ever owned, and its a fixer upper so i plan on restoring it. The boat has sat in a shed for about 10 years with out being moved. so my plan is to rebuild the engine, upholstery, carpet etc... but i guess my first question is the boat i have has a ladder on the rear, i want to put a swim platform on, like my uncles ski nautiue has. but my question is hat do i have to do about the holes where the ladder was installed. do i need to have a body shop fill with fiber glass or something. im never really messed with a boat other then driving, wakeboarding behind, etc etc.... any advice or tips will hep thanks. and i will put some pictures up once i get it home and start taking everything apart. and if ny has or knows where i can buy 1 of the platforms let me know
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2017 at 11:53pm
Zane,
Welcome to CCfan. Get some pictures posted of the 78. We'd love to see what the project is. How are the stringers? That's something you may need to address before you drop that rebuilt engine back in. You mention you what to restore the boat but say you what a swim platform and get rid of the ladder! This is contradictory since a true restoration would be to keep the ladder! Yes, holes in gel can be patched but color matching is the hard part. You can try it yourself using one of the gel patch kits or have a pro do it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrjester12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2017 at 12:01am
ive seen a lot of people say that. i know ill probably get some hell for this but what exactly is the stringers
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2017 at 12:04am
Zane,
The stringers are the wood structure of the boat that are glassed into the hull. They rot!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2017 at 12:11am
Zane,
Do some exploring of the site. Tons of info plus the member knowledge base is fantastic. Ask any questions that you may have. Also,take a look at this thread. It has links to lots of great threads.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
joshjanae View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshjanae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2017 at 12:53am
Congrats on the new boat. I also bought my first Ski Nautique a few months ago, not my first boat though. One thing to note is that your engine is likely a reverse rotation engine. If so, there are some specific things to consider in the rebuild. Can't just use any cams, pistons, starter...   Ask around, The members here are very knowledgeable and have helped me out a ton already.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2017 at 4:12am
A 78 was my first Nautique. Great Boat you will have lots of fun with it.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2017 at 8:39am
Congrats on your new boat. You've come to the right place to get your questions answered. Fairly quickly, I might add.

As several have stated, your stringers are the wooden structure under the floor that gives the boat it's rigidity and holds everything together.

Here are some pics:

New Stringers

Rotted stringers

Removed rotted stringers

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2017 at 10:08am
Congratulations on your purchase. How many hours are on the boat? What makes you think it needs rebuilding. Lots of boats have sat for years and run just fine. I would spray some oil in the cylinders and spin it over without the plugs in it. Then tune it up and try to fire it up. You can look on the forum about a new impeller for the raw water pump and how to run the boat out of the lake. If you can, check compression may just need a valve job. Keep us posted.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2017 at 10:33am
Zane,
Does the ladder look factory or aftermarket? Are you sure the model is a Ski Nautique? I ask since a SN typically would not have a ladder. Other models did. Get those pictures up!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrjester12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2017 at 10:49am
Thanks guys! They guy I bought the boat from, said that the guy that had it before him, put a performance cam, and performance piston heads, and stuff like that. And the last time he ran it, it did fine at first but once it warmed up it would backfire through the carb almost like it was starving for fuel. And that if he didn't run 110 racing fuel the engine wouldn't run right. So I was going to go through and just rebuild the engine. Go back with stock cam, and pistons, replace gaskets, near carb all that good stuff. The boat has 611 hours on it. To be honest idk if the ladder looks stock or not, but yes the boat is a 1978 ski nautique. I will try to get some pictures up this afternoon. And I will check out the stringers once I start tearing everything out. The floors feel pretty solid, I didn't see any spongy places or anything like that
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2017 at 11:55am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Zane,
Does the ladder look factory or aftermarket? Are you sure the model is a Ski Nautique? I ask since a SN typically would not have a ladder. Other models did. Get those pictures up!

OMG Pete, you may want to check your facts, 78 or 79 was the first year CC offered platforms, my 77' SN had a factory installed ladder which I removed and replaced with a swim platform

Edit, looked in the brochures, 78 does not show or list platforms, 79 it is listed as an option as is the ladder!!
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2017 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by mrjester12 mrjester12 wrote:

Thanks guys! They guy I bought the boat from, said that the guy that had it before him, put a performance cam, and performance piston heads, and stuff like that. And the last time he ran it, it did fine at first but once it warmed up it would backfire through the carb almost like it was starving for fuel. And that if he didn't run 110 racing fuel the engine wouldn't run right.

Not a lot out there for reverse rotation performance cams. Even the ones that are available, while better than stock, are a far cry from what I would call "performance".
Then performance heads and pistons????? Needing 110 racing fuel to run right???? This isn't quarter miler. It's a tractor.
These boat engines are actually very mild compared to performance engine builds you would find in autos or trucks.

Everything about this just sounds fishy. If these "performance" parts were indeed added, the builder had no clue what he was doing or why and even if he did, then he had no idea how to tune it after he put them in.

You should verify that the engine is reverse rotation and hasn't been changed to a standard rotation engine before you start doing anything with it. Most hacks will put a standard rotation in place of the factory engine when rebuilding or repowering because it's cheaper or they have no idea that's it's a reverse rotation or both. If that's truly the case that can open up an entire new can of worms.

Let us know how that goes and we can help you out from that point.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrjester12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2017 at 1:14pm
I'm not sure about what has been done to the engine. I know it is a reverse rotation engine. And I'm pretty sure it's the engine that came in the boat. I was told the guy that had it, put a performance cam, and changed the piston with one's that have a knot like raise on them. I'm not 100% sure I'm going to pick it up tomorrow and take the engine out and start the tear down. I'll put some pictures up ASAP
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2017 at 1:29pm
Our 78 had a factory or dealer installed platform from the get go.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2017 at 1:34pm
There is nothing he could have done to really require racing fuel to run correctly. That comment either means the rebuild was done with parts that don't actually work (could he have installed a standard cam in a reverse engine ??? Pistons/rods so far off that he increased compression ???) or there is some other fuel/ignition problem that he wasn't capable of diagnosing.

I would:

remove spark plugs, and spray/squirt some fogging or light oil in each cylinder
using a wrench see if the engine spins over smoothly by hand
if so, hook up a battery and just bump the starter, see if in fact the engine spins reverse

From there, your problem is that you don't know if the internal parts were the right ones. You could skip all of above and just tear it down for a rebuild but I'm always in favor of seeing if an engine can run first. Others may disagree.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrjester12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2017 at 8:29pm

hey guys these are some pics of the boat, i just picked it up today.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2017 at 8:46pm
Cool, nice and original. I like ladders too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrjester12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2017 at 10:32pm
i just dont really like the ladder, im going to put a platform on it and remove the ladder
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2017 at 10:52pm
Nice looking boat. Yes, I am pretty sure that your ladder is original. If you remove it, I would reglass the inside of the stern where the bolts went through the hull. Then use a gel coat putty to fill the holes. It will impossible to get a perfect gel match but it will not leak. The CCFAN Store offers new platforms out of an easier to maintain wood than teak that looks great. However, original brackets and platforms show up often on this site from boats being parted out. You will need parts from a 79-81 to fit correctly. I am just trying to answer your first question. I would also keep the ladder, but I am scared of Pete. I too would run the boat and the guys her on this site can work you through the back fire issues. I would rebuild or have the carb rebuilt by a professional and then start from their with the timing. Many old boats like this have the wrong rotation starter on them (Left Hand) and the boat never runs and then they get rid of the boat. Also, you will need a marine grade carb, and starter. Not automotive or you can go BOOM.

I hope this helps,

Donald

Good luck with your project.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
smac76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smac76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2017 at 11:07pm
My 76 is almost identical to your 78, and as far as I know is all original- with a swim platform. That boat looks sweet, I don't know why you're in such a hurry to rip the motor down. I have an old HD (even older than my SN) and I was gonna tear it down when I first got it after it had been sitting for 7 years. The best advice I ever got was to "get it running,   tune it up from there, and wait til the thing blows before you rebuild it". Rode that thing for several years before I tore it all down for a resto project.   

[http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/uploads/16943/20160903_173436.jpg]

[http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/uploads/16943/20160718_061141.jpg]

It's 5 o'clock somewhere...
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2017 at 4:55am
does it actually run when it back fires through the edit: carb.
are you sure the timing or leads are correct, sounds stupid i know.

1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2017 at 10:52am
Originally posted by smac76 smac76 wrote:

My 76 is almost identical to your 78, and as far as I know is all original- with a swim platform. That boat looks sweet, I don't know why you're in such a hurry to rip the motor down. I have an old HD (even older than my SN) and I was gonna tear it down when I first got it after it had been sitting for 7 years. The best advice I ever got was to "get it running,   tune it up from there, and wait til the thing blows before you rebuild it". Rode that thing for several years before I tore it all down for a resto project.   

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/uploads/16943/20160903_173436.jpg

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/uploads/16943/20160718_061141.jpg

Very nice!

'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2017 at 11:27am
Nice boat, but someone has changed it. Carpet, interior and platform wouldn't have come on a '76.

Love that ladder!!!
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2017 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by mrjester12 mrjester12 wrote:

i just dont really like the ladder, im going to put a platform on it and remove the ladder

Go for it, do what you want.. ladders suck..
Nice boat, welcome to CC life........
moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2017 at 12:59pm
You could restore it to be Unique, we called my 78 the Unique Nautique.
I sold this boat in 1990 with 1,500 hours on it.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2017 at 1:22pm
I'm sure someone will be interested in the ladder, myself included. Let me know if you decide to let it go.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2017 at 7:02pm
My 78 had a fiberglass platform, not wood.
Show here the day we had our custom cover made in 1983, it was stored outside for the next 7 years and that cover was still perfect. when I sold it.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2017 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

You could restore it

"restore"?????
From Webster:
:  "to bring back to or put back into a former or original state"
"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2017 at 10:56pm
OK, Modify it, I will say that my boat drew a lot of attention back then. I used to ski with the owner of West Coast Correct Craft, he would have a fit about my lack of graphics.
The boat was stolen and recovered a year later. The guys that stole it put the paint on it and did a really nice job, but I really liked it and we had no extra money back then to fix it so it stayed. They also ground out the numbers off the back of the hull and we found years later that the trailer returned was not the trailer it was stolen on. Looked the same but the one returned did not match our registration numbers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic