Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sport Nautique Fuel Issues

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TedK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sport Nautique Fuel Issues
    Posted: February-15-2017 at 7:25pm
Guys i need some help! Ive been following this forum for along time and enjoy fixing my boat myself. But i cant figure out why my boat keeps bogging down. its a 351 pro boss ho. I recently put a set of hi tek headers on and rebuilt the exhaust with a wye pipe instead of the muffler. The carb is a 4160. The boat ran fine after the install of the exhaust work then i noticed fuel coming from the fuel pump to the carb. Figured the fuel pump was going to die so i replaced fuel pump. Next time i went out the motor bogged down suddenly while at cruising speed(after half hour of wakeboarding). could barely idle and the engine shacked. since then ive replaced the fuel lines and the fuel filter, checked the anti siphon valve, checked the vent line to gas tank, and made sure no water is in the system. The boat runs fine till i turn sharply or after about half hour of use.   removing some fuel from the fuel filter remedies the problem for another half hour where the engine will perform good.
think i got a bad fuel pump?
any thoughts are appreciated.
1993 Sport Nautique.
TedK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2017 at 7:39pm

1993 Sport Nautique.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2017 at 9:45am
Your ProTech is on the way out, next time it happens put a damp cool towel over the coil pack and after a few minutes see if it runs better.

SkiDim has a conversion for about $500 or I think there is a way to convert to DUI if so desired.

Oh yeah, is that an air filter or a flame arrestor? if not a flame arrestor you may want to get one, either that or more fire extinguishers.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2017 at 3:10pm
Agree with quinner on the Protec.

One question I had though, what did you mean when you said you had noticed fuel going from the fuel pump to the carb. Do you have a clear line? Or, are you talking about that lightweight plastic overflow line (that should only show fuel if the fuel pump is failing)?
TedK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2017 at 6:44pm
Thanks I've read up on the conversion. Didn't realize that would be causing the issues I'm having but it makes sense. The engine has 750hours on it. I guess I'll be ordering the conversion from skidim. Ill keep you guys updated. As for the air filter I read a couple guys on this forum were running this filter on their boats. I've had it on a couple years with no issues but the last thing I want is a fire hazard. Ill throw the old flame arrester back on!
1993 Sport Nautique.
TedK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2017 at 6:47pm
There is a metal line from fuel pump to carb. But I saw gas flowing through the clear plastic overflow line as you said. Took awhile searching on this forum to confirm the old pump was failing. Thanks for the info on the protec issues. I gotta get my boat back in action before wakeboard season!
1993 Sport Nautique.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2017 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by TedK TedK wrote:

Thanks I've read up on the conversion......... As for the air filter,.... I'll throw the old flame arrester back on!

TedK - I did the ProTec conversion by DUI - it is very good and I'm glad I did it that way. JPASS did a great write up for the 351. Also, I have a K&N Flame arrestor in the style of a blingy Air Cleaner - you may look into what they offer. (often times height is an issue). They make a red cleaner insert that has mesh wire and is USCG approved flame arrestor. See if they got something to fit what you already have! Oh, Look - shiny things!
TedK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2017 at 8:36pm
Wow thanks for the great info. I'll be doing some research tonight to get these two issues figured out. I'll check out the jpass write up and look into the mesh for the filter.
1993 Sport Nautique.
TedK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2017 at 10:46pm
got the old paperwork and it is a K&N marine flame arrestor.
1993 Sport Nautique.
kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2017 at 10:54pm
X2 on the protec conversion! Skidim is great, the work is easy (need a timing light) and the boat runs great afterwards!! No bogging randomly between 2500-3500 rpms.

Kyle
TedK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2017 at 11:22pm
found the dui conversion write up you were talking about here
also looked up the ski dim alternative. which one is the better choice. I like jpass write up seems easy to follow. I could not find a write up for skidim but im sure i could call them and figure it out.
1993 Sport Nautique.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2017 at 11:41pm
DUI from Performance Distributors is simpler, less expensive and the company is AWESOME!

Their shipping was lightning fast, their tech support was terrific when I found out I ordered incorrectly, they swapped out what I ordered for what I needed and the turn-around was 3 days! The DUI is larger and taller than your Pro Tec trigger, so tight hose clearance can be an issue - That is the only downside that I see to DUI.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2017 at 6:13pm
Yup. Sounds like ProTech is failing. Time to put in a D.U.I. distributor.

Did you check the fuel pressure on the new fuel pump? Too high or too low can cause problems. The problem could also be carb float issues. The carb float bowls need to have the proper fuel level or you can experience a rich condition or a lean condition. I had a float stick open once, and the fuel just poured into the carb. Slow RPM operations were impossible -- high RPM was OK. Fixed the float needle/seat, fixed the problem.

Unfortunately, the Holley 4160 is not the easiest float chamber to adjust. Most will tell you to replace the needle/seat assembly and then hold the float chamber upside-down. The top of the float should be parallel to the top of the float chamber. That is a good place to start.

One more reason to replace the 4160 with the QuickFuel M-600 carb. The float chambers have sight windows and external adjustment hardware!

Nice looking engine. Don't know if your K&N is a flame arrestor or just an air filter. If not, K&N makes a USCG approved flame arrestor for your application.

K&N 59-3264
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-59-3264/overview/

You may also need the following adaptors:

1/4 inch vent adaptor K&N 85-1325 (this is for the clear fuel line above)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-85-1325

5/8 inch vent adaptor K&N 85-1362 (this is for the starboard side engine vent by the oil filler cap to vent into the carb)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-85-1362

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
TedK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2017 at 8:26pm
I rebuilt the carb and the float working fine. I always wondered if it was the new fuel pump because it happened right after replacement. but the protec is 24yrs old and it sounds like im not the first person with similar issues. How do i check the fuel pressure going to the carb. there is a metal line from fuel pump to carb. I had debated cutting it and installing a pressure gauge.
1993 Sport Nautique.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2017 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by TedK TedK wrote:

I rebuilt the carb and the float working fine. I always wondered if it was the new fuel pump because it happened right after replacement. but the protec is 24yrs old and it sounds like im not the first person with similar issues. How do i check the fuel pressure going to the carb. there is a metal line from fuel pump to carb. I had debated cutting it and installing a pressure gauge.

Why not just remove the fuel line, get a couple of fittings, one for the carburetor, one for the fuel pump, a length of rubber hose and a t connection to go in the hose and use a vacuum/fuel pressure gauge to check the pressure.

When you're done you can put the metal line back on
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2017 at 9:53pm
If you read this thread there is some info on putting in a tee complete with a picture of a temporary tee and a vacuum/fuel pressure gauge

some info on a tee in this thread

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic