NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Drysuit seal repair

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drysuit seal repair
    Posted: February-20-2017 at 10:22am
Does anyone have a good lead on where to get drysuit seals and if the process of replacement is easy enough to handle by myself? The last time I called Mike Sieple he was not in the repair business anymore. I sent two different suits to a place up north and they both came back still leaking water----- and the $150!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 10:31am
Have you tried OS Systems in Oregon??
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 10:46am
No not yet, but was just perusing their web site. I would sure like to get the same heavy duty seals so as to keep it "original"    I will try iron Mike later today. He may have a place that does repairs by now. It used to be ocean tec in Florida but the last time I spoke with them they were no longer in the repair business.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 11:15am
HW is our resident drysuit seal repair expert, he'll chime in soon I'm sure. Believe he mentioned OS as referenced by Quinkles above as being the original manufacturer of many more recognizable companies (possibly including BI).
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 11:31am
Pretty easy to do. I've done all four of my wrist and ankle seals. There are a zillion instructional videos on youtube that walk you through it. I am lucky enough to be able to get mine, specific to my brand of suit (BARE), off of amazon. Not sure how universal the seals are tho.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 11:57am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Pretty easy to do. I've done all four of my wrist and ankle seals. There are a zillion instructional videos on youtube that walk you through it. I am lucky enough to be able to get mine, specific to my brand of suit (BARE), off of amazon. Not sure how universal the seals are tho.

Larry-Did you use contact adhesive or buy the glue from Bare?

Just spoke with Mike seipel and they have not produced drysuits for about 4 years. Ocean Tec who produced them for B.I. now refers customers on to OS for the actual repairs.

I will wait for HW to chime in and get the expert advice.

Thanks
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Thanks

So what am I, chopped liver, lmao.

HW was who referred me to OS just last year, we will see if that has changed since then.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Thanks

So what am I, chopped liver, lmao.

HW was who referred me to OS just last year, we will see if that has changed since then.

ooooops! good point!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 12:29pm
Valid point. Chopped liver may be generous though?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 12:57pm

Larry-Did you use contact adhesive or buy the glue from Bare?

Available at any dive shop.

Trickiest part is finding a form that is the exact size of the end of your sleeve or leg so that you have a tight fit to pull the new seal up on to.

For the sleeve, I found a pickle jar that was just the right size. For the leg, I had an old round thermos bottle with a couple wraps of poster board around it. You want it to be snug, otherwise there is a chance of gaps between the new seal and the sleeve/leg, Eventually I will be doing my neck piece. I think they are a little more challenging. The videos usually appear to use a "custom made" form for the neck.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 1:04pm
Problem solved Larry

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 1:09pm
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
joshjanae View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshjanae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 1:15pm
+1 for DIY and use aquaseal. I've done it for dry tops and kayak suits and it is pretty straight forward. There are a bunch of tricks on youtube. I used a balloon on the inside. The hardest part might be finding the thick seals you want.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 3:46pm
OS - The drysuit people since 1983. I'm still wearing shells from 1990 that are good as new.

There are plenty of urethane glues to choose from.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 4:01pm
Thanks everyone (esp. Quinner aka: chopped liver). OS was the provider of choice and very helpful. Now while waiting for the seals to arrive I had better start eating some pickles! Thank goodness my neck seal is still functioning!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 4:16pm
Just as long as it's you eating the pickles and not Connie!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 5:23pm
Per HW's directions, I changed out my seals using plain old Rubber cement and MEK - worked great. Only did wrist and ankle seals. Never attempted a neck seal, and I have one that needs it. Prior to "giving up" skiing, I had considered having one of these put in:

Quick Neck Seal - click on the video to see how it works.

I think they also make these for the wrist and ankles.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 5:24pm
Try Duct Tape, it works for everything else.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 8:19pm
Donald Steve has no idea what Duct Tape even is- up there it's called Wisconsin Chrome

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 8:32pm
So right you are Gary!
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 11:02pm
Ah we call it 200 MPH tape for Nascar.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 12:59am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Ah we call it 200 MPH tape for Nascar.

when I ask for the 200 MPH tape here at work cousin Don...the guys look at me like I am crazy.....

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 1:46am
Thats because they are all damn yankee's John. Our neighbor from Cincinnati tells us yankee's are people from the north who visit,damn yankee's are the ones who have moved here...
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 11:59am
I have repaired a number of drysuits. I used to purchase seals and glue from OS Systems. They are definitely good quality seals. But gluing is a hassle and the expensive glue goes hard in the can, which is a waste.

I have been using a dry adhesive that you apply with a heat gun and roller. It is so much easier to work with and the dry adhesive stores well. I purchased the dry adhesive and seals from Dive Right In Scuba. The seals are of good quality and the dry adhesive is great. Check it out!
Dive Right In Scuba Dryseals
rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 4:24pm
I noticed someone else mentioned aqua seal. We use that stuff on waders and it works very well. I had a brand new pair of neoprene waders a couple years ago that I ripped on a tree limb under water 4 days after I bought them. I used aqua seal to fix the leak and it still doesn't leak even 4 years later. Keep in mind, I duck hunt a lot and I go through some rough stuff and it has held up good!
92 Sport nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2017 at 8:01pm
No need for mass consumption of pickles. A 1.75 liter on Bacardi fits the leg and seal nicely. Also the attached handle works great for removing the item from leg of dry suit.

Used a yeti Coffe cup for the wrist seal of other suit.

OS systems from Oregon was very helpful. Easy to follow instructions came with order and are also on the website. Hopefully they hold water out!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic