NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CommuterRestore

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 7:28pm
Dug up a few pictures of when we were building the decking. Ended up getting a piece of flexible molding from Home Depot to use as a router guide. Made some little braces and after a few hours of placement ran the router along the edge for a nice clean radius. Had to do the same down the length of the deck as well. Lots of router work there, 2 days in total just to get it fitted.

Anyone remember this puzzling look from the Hurricane thread. "Wonder what Renee's making for lunch?"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 7:38pm
And here's proof that Todd works although Tippy keeps a pretty close eye on him.   This is NOT photoshopped by the way. Cat just climbed up to see what was going on. I wasn't a cat person until I met Tippy, he's so cool he's almost a dog.

juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2017 at 12:10am
Does it need to be flipped?
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2017 at 9:16am
They don't generally love to be flipped.They seem to always land on their feet
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2017 at 10:31am
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

Does it need to be flipped?

Jack, The boat has had a recent fiberglass skin put over the bottom. Generally not ideal but this one was done very well and appears to be very tight and dry. We really struggled with what to do about that and in the end decided to leave it as is and just get some fresh paint on it. Is it hiding some questionable areas? Maybe, but we knew if we dug into it we would be looking at adding $5-6000 and another year of work to the cost of the boat by having to replace a bottom. It really looks like it's well done so we decided to run it for as long as it lasts which who knows may be 10 or 15 years before it needs attention again.

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2017 at 11:54am
Great Stuff Guys, This is really awesome!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2017 at 12:20pm

Looks like Todd was the guy who did all the deck screwing!
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2017 at 12:25pm
And the funny thing is Todd thinks this is his boat......
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2017 at 12:38pm
Another fine example of craftsmanship. Well done.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2017 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Ha, I LOL
Todd blasted and powdered us and it's good in the back. Us primadonas get all the glory but he's been at it hard!
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2017 at 4:43pm
Some day I'll have a wooden boat! Simply stunning
https://youtube.com/shorts/D6xrs4xlDVY?si=uOaaduvSAlFcLOAU
Waldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2017 at 3:48pm
You people have some serious talent. I hope you're skills are getting passed down to the next generation. Simply amazing.

Waldo
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2017 at 8:28pm
There is one thing I am not clear on. When you set up the router guide to cut the radius out on the bow ( forgive my terminology here) I can understand that part pretty well. then the deck boards go into place with a very even spacing and also on the end grain.   How do you make everything so even. do you dry fit the deck boards and then rerouter the whole thing or do you fit each deck board one at a time. Once the radius is cut on them do you just cut them to length so they fit evenly at the windshield end?    I am sorry if that sounds confusing but I hope you get what i am asking.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 11:37am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

There is one thing I am not clear on. When you set up the router guide to cut the radius out on the bow ( forgive my terminology here) I can understand that part pretty well. then the deck boards go into place with a very even spacing and also on the end grain.   How do you make everything so even. do you dry fit the deck boards and then rerouter the whole thing or do you fit each deck board one at a time. Once the radius is cut on them do you just cut them to length so they fit evenly at the windshield end?    I am sorry if that sounds confusing but I hope you get what i am asking.

Not confusing at all and at one point I did plan on using a collar on the router to follow the curve and copy it to the deck planks but I didn't for 2 reasons. First being I'm working 100 miles from home and I forgot my router accessories and second the African Mahogany we used is fairly brittle and tends to tear out when working across end grain. I ended up just fitting all the deck planks by hand, wasn't really that bad of a job.

There was a ton of router work fitting the deck boards that run down the length of the deck though.   There are 9 pieces on each side and all edges were done with the router. very tedious and time consuming task.   It looks to me like the factory did that work on a band saw which must have been a nightmare, Not having access to a band saw we went with the router which ended up being the way to go for a nicer joint.   The process is really the same as hanging side planks and copying the edge from one board to the next with a jig I made when I was doing the Hurricane.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 11:55am
So Saturday was a fairly easy day, we had a little final prep then taped off the details and got to staining. Took us about 3 hours. Later this week Renee will get the blond areas stained and then we'll get our first coats of sealer on the boat. Our goal was get the boat sealed before the spring weather and humidity wreaks havoc on our woodworking, the recent weather has had us scrambling to get it sealed but I think we're in good shape.

We were pretty happy with how the old side planking came out, Those are the original 60 year old planks that got cleaned and rehung bedded in 5200.   We did as much structural shoring up as we could so hopefully the boat doesn't move much once it starts getting used and those seams stay nice and tight for us.   Also very pleased with how well the old side planking stained up, it matches the new top deck very well, I think our second bleaching of the sides was worth that effort.

Any wood that's been left raw at the moment will be done in a blond stain.

Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 12:04pm
A Shipwright you ARE!!! beautiful craftsmanship and attention to detail.Where did you source your mahogany from? afraid to ask the board foot price.Keep us posted.
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 6:05pm
Stunning
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 8:35pm
Museum quality work for sure.

I'd have a hard time putting it in the water!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 11:42pm
uh....WOW.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 9:48am
So many pictures and details to enjoy!
Just plain "wow" like Jbear stated

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 10:42am
Looking CCFantastic guys but we all know Alans craftsmanship with wood. So cool so see this boat restored to its former glory. Todd, you really gotta come up with a unique name for Renees boat. I did go back and look for pics when the previous owner had it and this was the best shot I had of it. She was in really great shape I thought but that was 7 years ago.... Looking forward to another ride and drive in it!

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 10:54am
Wow. Such a beautiful boat. Can't wait to see the finished product.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Lakeview Lakeview wrote:

A Shipwright you ARE!!! beautiful craftsmanship and attention to detail.Where did you source your mahogany from? afraid to ask the board foot price.Keep us posted.

Thank you, Wood came from L.L. Johnson in Michigan,   Quinner will be by with a Johnson joke any minute now.

I don't have a board foot price of lumber for you but I can tell you that the cost of lumber on one of these projects is dwarfed by the absurd cost of 5200 and Silicon Bronze screws.   Seems like all the supplies other than lumber have almost doubled since I did the Hurricane a few years ago.   The cost of Good quality 3M sandpaper will make your head spin.   
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 6:27pm

the cost of lumber on one of these projects is dwarfed by the absurd cost of 5200 and Silicon Bronze screws.

I've been using LOTs of Locktite PL on the house project. It's a moisture cure polyurethane just like 5200 and have always been impressed with the bonding of any polyurethane. Yes, it too isn't cheap but lots less than 5200 plus, it is available in the big cartridges. If I ever get to the launch project, I'm very tempted to use the PL. It does state not for continuous water immersion so I would limit it about the waterline. .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

the cost of lumber on one of these projects is dwarfed by the absurd cost of 5200 and Silicon Bronze screws.

I've been using LOTs of Locktite PL on the house project. It's a moisture cure polyurethane just like 5200 and have always been impressed with the bonding of any polyurethane. Yes, it too isn't cheap but lots less than 5200 plus, it is available in the big cartridges. If I ever get to the launch project, I'm very tempted to use the PL. It does state not for continuous water immersion so I would limit it about the waterline. .

Boy I would have to let someone else experiment with that Pete. Might be fine but I wouldn't want to find out otherwise after a couple years of work. The big shops are probably buying a lot better than the back yarder but buying by the case is brutal and you can't get a deal and stock up on it because it does go bad. We've actually ended our work day based on whether we have to open another tube and partially use it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 7:25pm

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Boy I would have to let someone else experiment with that Pete. Might be fine but I wouldn't want to find out otherwise after a couple years of work. The big shops are probably buying a lot better than the back yarder but buying by the case is brutal and you can't get a deal and stock up on it because it does go bad. We've actually ended our work day based on whether we have to open another tube and partially use it.

Alan,
I agree letting someone else try it first. and I thought you could be the " guinea pig"!! Really, I've got two staircases coming up that need treads and risers attached with the PL so I'm going to start some controlled testing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2017 at 10:53am
I took the weekend off to start putting the Hurricane motor together but Renee and Todd got the blond stain done and it looks awesome from here.   By next weekend it should have a coat of sealer on it.   Then we'll get the bilge painted, start fitting the new floor, Spray rails and interior ceiling boards. Still lots of work to do but making progress.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2017 at 12:23pm
Last minute change of plans so I wasn't able to get down to work on the boat this weekend but the crew did get the first coat of sealer applied. She's looking good, enjoy

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2017 at 3:21pm
Alan,
It sure doesn't look like Billy's boat anymore!! He doesn't visit us anymore so hopefully you sent him some pictures of the progress.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2017 at 3:25pm
Once again no sign of Toad, you and Renee are doing an outstanding job on that boat!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic